Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:31 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Got reservations for the shortened bar menu at Eleven Madison Park. Couldn't snag the fuller menu, but, in retrospect I've never been able to fully finish longer menus so that could be a blessing.

Any comments on the shortened menu there? I didn't see a lot online.

And, do I need to wear a jacket?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DSI
Got reservations for the shortened bar menu at Eleven Madison Park. Couldn't snag the fuller menu, but, in retrospect I've never been able to fully finish longer menus so that could be a blessing.

No dress code at EMP. Another reason it’s so good.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:34 pm

Just had meals at both Relae and Amass on back-to-back evenings (full menus at both).

Relae was the better all-around meal, but the "highs" at Amass truly were spectacular.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:03 am
DSI

Originally Posted by bhrubin
No dress code at EMP. Another reason it’s so good.
Well, you know what I'll be wearing!

Now, Estela?

Thinking about going there too. Anybody been? Would it work for two families, 4 adults and 3 kids. Want something good but casual. If not, then back to the stalwart, Keste.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DSI

I snagged a reservation for lunch next month (there are a few of us in the Michelin thread who did). Everything I read has said that they revamped the menus with the renovation. Thats probably why there isn’t much out about them.

Last edited by United747; Nov 4, 2017 at 11:07 am Reason: Stupid iPhone
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by DSI
Well, you know what I'll be wearing!
EMP’s website does say “proper attire” so I would ask in advance if they will go so far as to approve shorts! I’d wear pants...but good luck. Either way, I expect a photo. We plan to dine there in March if we can get the res.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
EMP’s website does say “proper attire” so I would ask in advance if they will go so far as to approve shorts! I’d wear pants...but good luck. Either way, I expect a photo. We plan to dine there in March if we can get the res.
But their Tock page says
We do not have a dress code [...] wear whatever will make you most comfortable!
I personally wouldn’t show up in shorts and a tee shirt, but this doesn’t prohibit people from doing so.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by United747
But their Tock page says

We do not have a dress code [...] wear whatever will make you most comfortable!
I personally wouldn’t show up in shorts and a tee shirt, but this doesn’t prohibit people from doing so.
Haha, @DSI is the one guy most likely to test that hypothesis, and I’d love to see that. My gay genes keep me from dressing too casually...but my always warm genes make me crave to see what happens if he wears shorts!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:46 pm
DSI

The only luck emp will have by keeping me from dressing like a beach bum is that it’ll be December.

To get reservations you have get them on the minute. In three minutes they are gone!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:07 am
Suspended

Has anyone ever used TableAll for hard-to-get restaurant bookings in Tokyo/Japan?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:55 pm

Had an absolutely smashing time at Brae a few days ago. We were fortunate to have a Monday lunch (meaning, no following dinner service), which really seemed to ensure the staff/guest experience was relaxed and wonderfully paced - no hurrying or rush at all.

Too, we stayed the night, and as we had lunch that allowed us to enjoy the property, have a lovely dinner plate, and then enjoy a leisurely breakfast the next morning.

While we've had better meals, to be sure, the entire experience is pure magic, and highly recommended.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Is that Brae in Victoria??
If it is, I've always wanted to go there, but I've never had anyone that wanted to do the drive with me 'just for food'
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Had an absolutely smashing time at Brae a few days ago.

While we've had better meals, to be sure, the entire experience is pure magic, and highly recommended.
Bolding mine. What do you mean by “we’ve had better meals?” What equivalency can you give us to evaluate your lunch at Brae? Would you characterize it as worthy of 1 or 2 or 3 Michelin stars? Would you put it in the top 100 list worldwide or top 50 in the Asian region? Do tell, please!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Is that Brae in Victoria?
Yes it is, and it's such an easy drive from Melbourne. If you do lunch, you could easily do it in a day from Melbourne (or other points in Victoria), without too much drama (alcoholic consumption notwithstanding).

Bolding mine. What do you mean by “we’ve had better meals?” What equivalency can you give us to evaluate your lunch at Brae? Would you characterize it as worthy of 1 or 2 or 3 Michelin stars? Would you put it in the top 100 list worldwide or top 50 in the Asian region? Do tell, please!
Firstly, yes, it is absolutely deserving of inclusion on SP W50 Best.

As for Michelin, my guess would be it would be a 2*, but only because it does not seem to have the formality they demand from so many 3*. Remember, Noma never got a third star.

When I said we've had better meals, I strictly meant the food, though I realize the way I've written seems like I'm damning them with faint praise, which is the absolute opposite of my intent. It did not fly to the heights of Mugaritz, Noma, EMP, and some others, BUT ...

The meal was utterly wonderful, with a couple of truly standout dishes. And, they had one of the singular best pairings of beverage/dish I've ever had, anywhere.

In conjunction with a stay, as I said, I could not more highly recommend it for the entirety of the experience.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by aa213bb; Nov 16, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:27 pm
Suspended

@aa213bb I ask because of being so disappointed at Quay and Sepia in Sydney—both of which I’d liken to 1* Michelin restaurants but which really didn’t stand out as much as I’d have expected. Quay was better than Sepia, but The Bridge Room blew both of them away in my opinion.

I’ll be sure to add Brae to my list. We couldn’t manage the time to include Melbourne in our most recent Aussie travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.