FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I had a short business trip to Austin, a con was not having enough time to even begin to dig into all the delicious food in Austin, a big pro was the company held a private evening dinner at Franklin, so no wait. Open bar & all you can eat BBQ.

The links & turkey were so-so. The brisket & pork spareribs were out of this world delicious. The pulled pork was surprisingly good. I didn't expect as many pork items being in Texas.
I have family in Texas now, so I'm looking forward to a trip sometime. I won't mind spending a morning waiting in line at Franklin's. Beef is my favorite kind of barbecue --- pork ribs are easier to find here in Chicago, in KC, and other places --- so the next time I get to Texas I am going to eat beef ribs and brisket every chance I get.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
I've been to Franklin's and would agree about the pulled pork, although quite liked the sausage myself.
I'm more of a coarse grind links fan, there are a couple paces here in Chicago that rock their links!
Originally Posted by jackal
OMG. Is your company hiring??
maybe
Originally Posted by cubbie
I have family in Texas now, so I'm looking forward to a trip sometime. I won't mind spending a morning waiting in line at Franklin's. Beef is my favorite kind of barbecue --- pork ribs are easier to find here in Chicago, in KC, and other places --- so the next time I get to Texas I am going to eat beef ribs and brisket every chance I get.
ok dining friend, if you find pork ribs here in Chicago like they have at Franklin, I'll pay for your dinner.

Chicago does rib tips extremely well!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

I believe that Franklin's only does beef ribs on Saturdays so plan accordingly. This was last summer so you may want to call ahead of time to double check.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
While Franklin's has its attractions, the Mecca of real BBQ addicts involves a couple of days in Lockhart pigging out at the local temples.

...But then there are those of us whose lives have been spent on the back roads of the state, stopping at gravel parking lots and hand-painted signs in hopes of encountering Nirvana. Why, I've even been to joints where the cooks and diners argue over an ancient question, whether or not a "Shoulder Clod" may be preferable to brisket. Then there's that continuing debate as to whether "Sauce", especially the "Store Bought" sort, ought to be served at all. I do travel occasionally with "Purist Ideologues" for whom anything beyond drippings, stock and some seasoning remains heretical.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by TMOliver
While Franklin's has its attractions, the Mecca of real BBQ addicts
involves a couple of days in Lockhart pigging out at the local temples.
I'd say go to Black's, passing up Kreuz and Smitty's and
Chisholm Trail, and then when you're hungry go back to
Black's. For variation, drive to San Marcos and check
out Kent Black's and then Austin for Terry Black's (a
black sheep of the family sort of place). Or Black's
up by UT, which is an offshoot of Lockhart Black's.

But today, not being in Austin, I had a pound of
coriander-crusted tri-tip and half a pound of salt-
rubbed smoked Akaushi brisket from Valley Farm BBQ
in Spring Valley, CA. Both first-rate.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by violist
But today, not being in Austin, I had a pound of
coriander-crusted tri-tip and half a pound of salt-
rubbed smoked Akaushi brisket from Valley Farm BBQ
in Spring Valley, CA. Both first-rate.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be in the area later this week, and called them about preordering for a small dinner group. They could only take advance orders on the tri-tip.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
... so the next time I get to Texas I am going to eat beef ribs...every chance I get.
You must visit Louie Mueller in Taylor.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
For those who read/post here who are (a) not addicted to BBQ, or (b) not so inculcated by time and culture so as to require worship at one of the constantly changing "Grand Temples" of BBQ (As in Franklin's which is really good but will be replaced atop the heap by another, neither of them as good as the BBQ BGEN Wiley Stem and his unit of the 36th used to serve up on the N. Bosque), "Rudy's" is a small chain of restaurants masquerading as gas station/convenience stores with a half dozen (maybe more now) locations across South & Central Texas, most close to IH35. The BBQ is decent, consistsnt and traditional (and available) served up on butcher paper.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I really do want to give a shout out to Q39 in Kansas City MO. Best I have ever had - in my opinion even beats Joes and Jack Stack. ^
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I really do want to give a shout out to Q39 in Kansas City MO. Best I have ever had - in my opinion even beats Joes and Jack Stack. ^
Went there last night and got a 3-meat plate with brisket, pulled pork, and sausage and was mildly underwhelmed, especially given its hype here and with some of my friends on Facebook. I found the brisket flat--lacking flavor and dry. The visible smoke ring didn't translate into much, if any, of a smoke flavor. The pulled pork was pleasantly moist but again, little if any smoke flavor. The sausage was my favorite of the three--it was less salty than a lot of sausage (I find most sausage too salty for my taste) and had a pleasant, coarse grind to it. I didn't get much of the supposed chipotle flavor, though.

The sauces were amazing, though. The chipotle-cilantro sauce was one of the best sauces I've ever had (though I didn't taste the cilantro in it). The classic was a bit sweet for my taste, but the zesty was excellent as well. I tried to buy some of the chipotle sauce but they don't have it bottled (yet?).

On the server's recommendation, I returned today for lunch to try a burnt-end burger. Now, this--this I would return for. Excellently executed and an amazing mix of tastes and textures from a perfectly-cooked-to-medium patty, thinnish slices of juicy burnt ends, and a thick layer of cole slaw topped with house-made pickles and jalapeños. I asked for and added a little bit of the chipotle-cilantro sauce for some extra zing. Delish.

That said, the Z-Man at Joe's still remains my favorite barbecue-joint sandwich (and possibly my favorite BBQ meal) in KC, and for actual meats, I simply haven't found anything that holds a candle to what they do down in Texas (where "real barbecue don't need no sauce"). I also can't go without mentioning one of my favorite sandwiches of all time, the Pitmaster from Pecan Lodge in Dallas (brisket+pulled pork+sausage+slaw+jalapeños), which frankly knocks the socks off of anything I've had in KC.

If I were to go back to Q39, I'd ask for moist brisket (if they can even do that), since they seem to serve it very lean by default. I'd also just go straight for the sauces and not even bother trying the meats without them; they elevate the meal from mediocre to very good, though still subpar to Central Texas, IMHO.

That's not to say I would ever turn KC BBQ down. I eat BBQ wherever it's good.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

On the server's recommendation, I returned today for lunch to try a burnt-end burger. Now, this--this I would return for. Excellently executed and an amazing mix of tastes and textures from a perfectly-cooked-to-medium patty, thinnish slices of juicy burnt ends, and a thick layer of cole slaw topped with house-made pickles and jalapeños. I asked for and added a little bit of the chipotle-cilantro sauce for some extra zing. Delish.
Also my favorite - I love their burnt ends.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by morgan1929
Last weekend I ate at Black's in Austin. It had very good brisket, like their location in Lockhart, but lacking in atmosphere.
Alas didn't have time to stop here leaving earlier this month. Was going to pick up a slab of ribs- IMO Blacks has the best ribs and I don't like tender- we have teeth for a reason... but an excellent rub. I did stop at the original earlier in the trip. Apparently they drive the meat up hot?

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I had a short business trip to Austin, a con was not having enough time to even begin to dig into all the delicious food in Austin, a big pro was the company held a private evening dinner at Franklin, so no wait. Open bar & all you can eat BBQ.
Best Brisket in a restaurant ^ I cooked one up for Thanksgiving myself, but didn't quite get enough time on it (woke up at 4, should have started earlier). The ribs, ok... but are overcooked for my tastes. Everything else is just filler, although tasty.

Was shocked to find his sauce in an H.E.B. as well.

OMG. Is your company hiring??

While Franklin's has its attractions, the Mecca of real BBQ addicts involves a couple of days in Lockhart pigging out at the local temples.
3 joints in an hour isn't too bad there- except not advisable when there is a river running in front of Blacks' due to the monsoon. Hard to get everyone out of the car...even with 'cue 50 feet away.

...Then there's that continuing debate as to whether "Sauce", especially the "Store Bought" sort, ought to be served at all. I do travel occasionally with "Purist Ideologues" for whom anything beyond drippings, stock and some seasoning remains heretical.
Sauce is used to cover up poorly cooked meat.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:55 am

Phils BBQ, San Diego, CA.

Due to huge lines you might want to call in a to go order.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa

Was shocked to find his sauce in an H.E.B. as well.
I used to work for H.E.B. They have a program which allows local businesses to sell their products in local stores. The only caveat is that distribution may be very limited to a handful of H.E.B. stores, depending on the product.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Looking forward to trying Stanley's when we head up north for Thanksgiving.
This was a disappointing experience, frankly. The baby back ribs were okay, but the brisket was terrible. It was in definite need of sauce, which actually made it even worse.

Ma Kettle did said she liked the turkey though and my nephew seemed happy with his proprietary sandwich (The Ex Wife, I believe they called it), but I think I'll take a pass going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.