FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by cur
...what about houston?...
I don't know. I've never had decent BBQ in Houston at any hour of the day, sad to say. Goode's was about as good as I've ever had in that city and it wasn't really worth mentioning.
Old May 16, 2016, 4:21 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
I don't know. I've never had decent BBQ in Houston at any hour of the day, sad to say. Goode's was about as good as I've ever had in that city and it wasn't really worth mentioning.
goode company? yoh man very very average...as they are so high volume they pre-cook briskets and re-heat when demand dictates. unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnacceptable

ray's is by far one of my favorites in texas (3rd ward and iah concourse b, although i haven't tried iah b)
gatlin's (recently got faymous = lineups = me not going there anymore)
brisket house (austin good)
virgies
hickory hollow (chikin fried steaks)
luling city market (a lot of people don't like it but i've never had a bad meal, i stick to ribs and brisket...it's in galleria so it's above average cost...close to goode's on the other side of us59)

houston does ribs and links well, brisket aint central austin good sadly

i'm still looking for more suggestions on places in htown
Old May 16, 2016, 11:56 pm

Try Corkscrew BBQ up in Spring (between The Woodlands and Houston). I used to goto Pit Master, Pappas, and occasionally Rudy's before Corkscrew came around. Don't like the hype or the line but it's good stuff, esp. the sausage and brisket.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:52 am
cur

Originally Posted by quan98
Try Corkscrew BBQ up in Spring (between The Woodlands and Houston). I used to goto Pit Master, Pappas, and occasionally Rudy's before Corkscrew came around. Don't like the hype or the line but it's good stuff, esp. the sausage and brisket.
cool man i'll check it when i'm to/from bush

but wait isn't this jj watt's favorite place? if so...awman lineups...

lining up longer than 15 minutes for bbq in texas is
not taking phone orders is
Old May 17, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by violist
Anyway, I'd say Q39 is the best upscaleish bbq in town. Jack Stack is a pleasant experience and quite good food:
when the burnt ends are nice and fatty, they are among
the best I've had.
^^
I have to agree - if you have not tried Q39 yet, please do. It is the (relatively new) kid on the block in KC. Really good. I also have never had a bad experience yet at Jack Stack.

At the medium end, my fav is still Smokin' Guns
Old May 18, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by TMM1982
If anyone gets to Chicago, I'd recommend Smoque BBQ. Not near as good as the Texas scene but pretty decent option for the Midwest.
Green Street Smoked Meats is my go to for Chicago.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cur
goode company? yoh man very very average...as they are so high volume they pre-cook briskets and re-heat when demand dictates. unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnacceptable

houston does ribs and links well, brisket aint central austin good sadly

i'm still looking for more suggestions on places in htown
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on Killen's? I've never been, but the local paper up here raves about 'em.

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/20...ns-bbq-is.html
Old May 20, 2016, 8:11 am
cur

Originally Posted by swag
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on Killen's? I've never been, but the local paper up here raves about 'em.

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/20...ns-bbq-is.html
i'm back in iah in less than 30 days and it's gonna be places i've never been:
-brisket house
-killens
-fat bao (not bbq but whatever)

then my tried trusted true
-ray's
-hungry farmer (for a cheap loaded bake or chili cheese fries or something)

meat here in africa is ^^^^ but these people can't smoke or do ribs worth ----

i will report back
Old May 24, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cur
great to know, thanks

what about houston?

all i can think of was a bbq food truck (looked like it was non-drivable) near DW Drive Inn in the east end but this was years ago. that was a gem.

hungry farmer til 10
and thomas bbq til 9 are the latest i know
technically its not in Houston, but given the scale of the state, the 3 Rudys location are always always consistent and good.

Goode's is dog food.

There are actually a few tiny shops, many of them recent, that are supposed to be good. havent had the opportunity to try.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Green Street Smoked Meats is my go to for Chicago.
That's actually hilarious because I work near there but have never heard of this place. Looks delicious, I'll have to check it out.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I'm doing a small road trip with my son in August to knock some new states in the mid-west on our quest to do all 50. Besides the sites, I am hoping to have some great food and used this thread as inspiration. We are starting in Nashville and ending up in Tulsa. Here is what I got so far:

Nashville to St Louis via Mammouth Cave National Park

St Louis - Bogarts Smokehouse

Kansas City - Joe's Kansas City Smokehouse

Betonville - (could not find any standout food options in NW AR)

Tulsa - Elmers

Am I missing anything good? Anyone familiar with the routes and thinks there is a place along the way worth stopping at?
Old May 26, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ghia74
Bentonville - (could not find any standout food options in NW AR)
Not BBQ, but just off the square in Bentonville there is a food truck that does really great crepes at lunchtime called Crepes Paulette. It's near Crystal Bridges which I highly recommend you stop in and see if you are going through Bentonville. If you want higher end, then The Hive at the 21c Museum Hotel is the best option around that area too.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Not BBQ, but just off the square in Bentonville there is a food truck that does really great crepes at lunchtime called Crepes Paulette. It's near Crystal Bridges which I highly recommend you stop in and see if you are going through Bentonville. If you want higher end, then The Hive at the 21c Museum Hotel is the best option around that area too.
I need something to do so in AR so your Crystal Bridges recommendation is noted. Crepes will be a welcome change, can't do BBQ at every meal over the 5 days. Thanks
Old May 26, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ghia74
I need something to do so in AR so your Crystal Bridges recommendation is noted. Crepes will be a welcome change, can't do BBQ at every meal over the 5 days. Thanks
Take the Crystal Bridges recommendation as a strong urging. The main exhibits are free, it's only special exhibits that have a charge. Leave time to walk the grounds as the trails are beautiful including the Frank Lloyd Wright house. http://crystalbridges.org/
Old May 29, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Best BBQ I've had is definitely in Austin and Kansas City, but among local options, I think The Smoking Pig in San Jose, CA is the best in the Bay Area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.