Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Oysters - where to buy? Your favorites? Etc." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Oysters - where to buy? Your favorites? Etc." thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
My favorite is the Grand Central Oyster bar in NYC. Unusual place to have an oyster bar but it adds to the allure!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:23 am

Oysters: Can other parts of the US compete with New England?

Being from the NE I've had some great oysters. Now living in the south I am trying the diff. types from the Gulf. I "might" have found ones that rival New England. They are called Murder Point Oysters and are from AL. They use an old Australian method of farming them where they don't allow the baskets to sit on the bottom. They raise and lower depending on the tide.

What are some of your favorite oysters that come from other places than New England?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:28 am

This could easily be on the list of things I hated as a kid but love now. I've only ever had raw oysters in Europe, but I've heard that the Gulf coast is the go-to place.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
This could easily be on the list of things I hated as a kid but love now. I've only ever had raw oysters in Europe, but I've heard that the Gulf coast is the go-to place.
The Gulf oysters tend to be much larger than others. Some people like that and others it's a turn off.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I would caution against eating raw oysters from B.C., including Fanny Bay (by name/brand). There's been Norovirus found in oysters where they're farmed in more than a few locations quite a distance apart. Dozens reported sick locally (many at, ironically, an oyster festival) and in Ontario in the past 3 months. This personally affected me (and I bought directly from the outlet).
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:03 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
From today's NumLock News newsletter

Oysters

The Severn River Association and Oyster Recovery Partnership want to get the oyster population in the Severn River near Annapolis full of oysters again. It’s one part of the larger Chesapeake Bay Program, which wants to restore oysters to the Severn and 10 tributaries by 2025. As of the 2010s, the wild oyster populations in the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay were 0.3 percent of what they once were, which has a distinct impact on the environment as a whole because an adult oyster can filter 190 liters of water per day. To do this, boats will inject 24 million baby oysters into a river in a single afternoon through firehoses. So far, the Chesapeake Bay Program has restored 324 hectares of oysters, and 96 percent of the reefs have at least 15 oysters per square meter, a threshold of success.

Ally Hirschlag, Hakai Magazine
work2fly, gfunkdave and Kgmm77 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.