Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
THANK YOU SometimesFlyer for posting your suggestion.^
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

After many many years of marriage, my husband finally convinced me to taste one of his raw oysters. I liked it. I tried a second one and loved it. Now, I am totally hooked on raw oysters and, of course, have become an immediate expert. In Southern California,the best ones I have found are at The Hungry Cat. They generally have a selection of 3-4 different varieties. I kind of liked "The Naked Cowboy" variety" from NY. Love the ones from Washington State.
Today, I had the best. I am currently in the D.C. area and had lunch at Crisfields in Silver Spring MD. These were the freshest, most delicious oysters I have ever tasted. They were from Chesapeake Bay. I also love that when I ordered 6, I got 7. Loved that restaurant.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Two favorites:

Kusshi.. west coast oyster.. clean, small, but delicious. apparently not common in the East Coast.

Kumamoto - same idea.. small, sweet, yum like everyone else have said.

I don't like huge, meaty oysters that taste too fishy..

Love it with a spicy mignonette sauce!
In the summer, we'd pick up 3 dozen for dinner for 2 of us
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Certainly not the ones at the local chinese buffet. The ones from Blackburn Fish Market in Northwest England are pretty good IMHO
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:45 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I'm more of a Mussels eater probably from my years of living in France, but for Oysters, I prefer Casamento's Oysters - New Orleans.
I'd take out a 2nd mortgage to eat those if I had to.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev
??? That's backwards!
Why so? Cold water does magical things to shellfish.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Anyone buy oysters online?

Most stores in NYC have limited oyster selections and relatively expensive ($2 each). I wonder anyone get their shellfish online? I googled a bit, looks like a lot of places only sell oysters online by 100 count, which is a lot for me.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Try the various farmers markets when the oysters are in season. They will get you any size bag you want, pricing will be based on market price. You won't get much fresher.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

So it's better to buy them at a market rather than online....correct?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by marais
I noticed that the OP is based in NYC. For you, the choice of oyster is simple: choose local, or at least from Atlantic waters from Long Island north. The closer the oyster to you, the fresher and more delectable it will be.
Yes and no... Unless a local firm has an exclusive contract for all catch with a provider rest assured the "best" of the catch goes to other destinations by air freight. Often arriving at their destination before near local destinations by trucking can deliver it.

Best means higher price and that can support air freight costs.

Last edited by traveller001; May 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I live in Boston, so plenty of options/places to buy.

The whole foods in my area has a large selection.

In addition, for those not near a coast, my favorite Boston restaurant, Island Creek Oyster Bar, also is a farm on Cape Cod and sells oysters online.

I would absolutely trust them to ship...not sure how much they cost.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Spunwasi
Why so? Cold water does magical things to shellfish.
East Coast oysters are typically brinier, with taste of seawater

West Coast oysters tend to taste more mineraly, grassier and creamier

I prefer West Coast (Kumomoto); when I get a dozen I normally get 9 west coast and 3 east coast (if the restaurant has a selection of both available).
Old May 23, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
We have been buying from Willapa Oysters in Washington for 5+ years and LOVE them (http://willapa-oysters.com/). It started 8 years ago for my dad's 60th birthday where we did 10 dozen oysters on the half shell (shucked myself!) for the group. They were exceptionally fresh, clean, and good size/shape. FYI, we are on the west coast, but get them in the same time anyone else in the US would get them, so location doesn't matter

We usually get the Kumamotos and the Pacific small oysters for the half shell and the large ones we use for BBQ Oysters or Oysters Rockefeller. They don't harvest them until you order, then they are shipped in refrigerated styrofoam lined boxes 2nd day (anywhere in the US).

The Kumamoto's are a pain to shuck but are great for first timers (and I love them). Their smalls and larges (pacific) are extremely sweet and smooth/creamy tasting.

Here are some of the pacific smalls I did on the grill (new orleans style BBQ oysters):

Old May 24, 2013, 4:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Looks Yummy roknroll!

Thanks for the post and the pictures.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Thanks roknroll! I also in the south bay and have been making the trek to Tamales Bay for years (10+). We have an annual oyster picnic and make it a whole day affair. However, when we do something at home, I still drive up to get bags of oysters and it gets daunting, almost 4 hour round trip. The WA site looks great and I'll give them a try later in June.

Cheers,
SF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.