Consolidated "Oysters - where to buy? Your favorites? Etc." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Oysters - where to buy? Your favorites? Etc." thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL KM
I am partial to East Coast oysters. The West Coast varieties are too "briny" for my taste. I also like the large species better than the smaller ones for some reason.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
Has anyone tried oysters at Wholefoods? I thought about buying 12/$12, but safe to consume raw?
If you're anywhere near Birmingham, you can't beat the oysters at Papa Joe's on Woodward. They are NOT cheap, but very fresh and usually a number of different varieties. They will shuck them for you if requested.

Papa Joe's seafood department is nothing short of amazing at all levels.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
If you're anywhere near Birmingham, you can't beat the oysters at Papa Joe's on Woodward. They are NOT cheap, but very fresh and usually a number of different varieties. They will shuck them for you if requested.

Papa Joe's seafood department is nothing short of amazing at all levels.
When you say NOT cheap, what is a fair price per oyster?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:56 am

I really don't know as I don't buy them every week! It's just that Papa Joe's is a very upscale and high priced market and I'm sure the oysters are no exception.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:09 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone tried oysters at Wholefoods? I thought about buying 12/$12, but safe to consume raw?
yes & yes, but I now buy at other seafood shops, you should be able to find fresh/safe for $.50 in Detroit (a guess on my part as that is normally what I pay).
When you say NOT cheap, what is a fair price per oyster?
I'm a cheap guy most of the time, but with raw seafood, I don't buy the cheapest unless I KNOW the shop has the volume to maintain a fresh supply.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:25 pm

Willapa Bay from WA
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

record spring floods in US to damage oyster harvest?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43779607...ent/?gt1=43001

Oysters are a stationary species, and that is why they were hit hard when record amounts of fresh water headed down the Mississippi River were diverted into Lake Pontchartrain and from there into Mississippi Sound after the Bonnet Carre Spillway in Louisiana was opened in May. Shrimp, finfish and crabs are mobile and can seek saltier water, so they weren't affected as much.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Starwood
Kumamotos from Tomales Bay are amazing
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by dankwonjr
Kumamotos from Tomales Bay are amazing
I tend to agree.

I have very fond memories of an oyster and stout picnic at Hog Island a few years back...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by work2fly
I have very fond memories of an oyster and stout picnic at Hog Island a few years back...
nice, Hog Island, Mrs Sweet Willie & I split a few dozen & a bottle (or was it two) of nice champagne at the Hog Island oyster bar in the Ferry Building in San Francisco. We really enjoyed the oysters
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
nice, Hog Island, Mrs Sweet Willie & I split a few dozen & a bottle (or was it two) of nice champagne at the Hog Island oyster bar in the Ferry Building in San Francisco. We really enjoyed the oysters
^ If you have time next time around, should drive up to the Hog Island picnic area at Tomales Bay and shuck some oysters, fresh from the water.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dankwonjr
^ If you have time next time around, should drive up to the Hog Island picnic area at Tomales Bay and shuck some oysters, fresh from the water.
fun suggestion, thanks^ I did look at their website, the sample menu shows they charge retail at the farm for their oysters. (personally I would expect a bit of a break from $24 a dozen if I'm coming to the farm.)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
I am partial to East Coast oysters. The West Coast varieties are too "briny" for my taste. I also like the large species better than the smaller ones for some reason.
??? That's backwards!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when we spent a week in the maritime Providences of france. each little berg seemed to farm their own particular oyster. forget it all by now. would like to go back and do it again.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
fun suggestion, thanks^ I did look at their website, the sample menu shows they charge retail at the farm for their oysters. (personally I would expect a bit of a break from $24 a dozen if I'm coming to the farm.)
Well, if you drive to Tomales Bay, also check out "Tomales Bay Oyster Company". IMHO, more family oriented, casual and less pretentious than Hog Island. And much cheaper too. You buy the oysters from them (~$8-12 per doz), bring the rest of the picnic, use their BBQ grill ... have a blast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.