Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
at home, before my play date:
grilled cheese and grated tillamook medium cheddar (Costco)
I cooked for my family and nibbled:
costco wild shrimp (thawed in water with 2 tsp salt and then boiled with salt & lemon juice; then peeled) - omg this was great!! I also dipped some in Gardel’s traditional chimichurri sauce which was good but is it worth $11.99?? Either way, today 4/15/21 is my first time cooking frozen shrimp and I’m SO HAPPY!!!! Big yay. So delicious. I can now make soup with shrimp or just do a shrimp omelette. Gaobest is SO HAPPY. AND BUZZED.
costco choice rib eye steak ($13.99/lb), grilled - super good. Better than the Safeway choice steak ($6.99/lb). Nice medium rare. I’m a Costco rib eye steak convert. I guess zero more Safeway steak.
omg I can have steak and eggs for my Friday bruncheon. Perfect brunch after a night of drinks. I had like 3 or 4 scotches. So fun. So happy. I need to get wasted more often.

My true dinner at the play date (with 3 people of India origin):
indian!!
Chicken biriyani
chana masala
naan
samosa
Tandoori chicken (?)
japanese and highland park whiskey
strawberry it’s it Ice cream (my first it’s it in many months!)
some canned sparkling water

the host got catered Indian food from a Berkeley restaurant cook. All was super good. Nice heat.

Originally Posted by corky
What do you mean despite the label?
Well if you want a smaller package size (and smaller shrimp) the argentinian red shrimp that I thought you said you bought is only 1.5 lbs and is also wild. Maybe I was confused because you always say red king crab legs & I just assumed red shrimp too!
The smaller Costco label with the price tag says “Previously Frozen” which is SUPER CONFUSING
this wild shrimp costs $12/lb
the Argentinean red shrimp costs more, like $15-25 a pound. I forgot the actual price but it’s a lot more than $12/lb.

Chocolate orange martini
leftover pasta primavera
chilean sea bass with lemon & garlic browned butter
So gorgeous
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Chocolate orange martini
leftover pasta primavera

Am moving right right next to you, and when I smell the food I will come to your door with my plate, just like Oliver Twist. Will leave you alone when there is pizza, can't eat it.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Our pub has new menu items including (as I've previously mentioned) a pizza with a white sauce, ham, bacon and dill pickles. And I love it. Mr. CE is a pizza purist. He believes that pizza has to have red sauce on it, and only traditional ingredients. (Even chicken is too out there for him.) The last time I got my pickle pizza, he grabbed a slice. And then another slice. And then tonight he ate another two of my slices. And has finally admitted that non-traditional pizza toppings can be good!
I suspect Mr. CE may now have a similar position to me. There's a time and a place for non-traditional pizzas. I enjoy all kinds, but if I really crave a pizza, it better have at least red sauce and mozzarella on it, and probably some type of pork product. One exception...there's never a time and a place for pineapple on a pizza. It's one of my favorite fruits, but just doesn't belong.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Chocolate orange martini
leftover pasta primavera
Seeing this brings a tear to my eye. Excellent job Corky! Note for everyone...this is how fish is prepared. Simple, without a ton of goopy sauce dumped on top. Cooked...but not overcooked and dry.
corky, obscure2k and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
at home, before my play date:
grilled cheese and grated tillamook medium cheddar (Costco)
I cooked for my family and nibbled:
costco wild shrimp (thawed in water with 2 tsp salt and then boiled with salt & lemon juice; then peeled) - omg this was great!! I also dipped some in Gardel’s traditional chimichurri sauce which was good but is it worth $11.99?? Either way, today 4/15/21 is my first time cooking frozen shrimp and I’m SO HAPPY!!!! Big yay. So delicious. I can now make soup with shrimp or just do a shrimp omelette. Gaobest is SO HAPPY. AND BUZZED.
costco choice rib eye steak ($13.99/lb), grilled - super good. Better than the Safeway choice steak ($6.99/lb). Nice medium rare. I’m a Costco rib eye steak convert. I guess zero more Safeway steak.
omg I can have steak and eggs for my Friday bruncheon. Perfect brunch after a night of drinks. I had like 3 or 4 scotches. So fun. So happy. I need to get wasted more often.

The smaller Costco label with the price tag says “Previously Frozen” which is SUPER CONFUSING
this wild shrimp costs $12/lb
the Argentinean red shrimp costs more, like $15-25 a pound. I forgot the actual price but it’s a lot more than $12/lb.

So gorgeous
I don't think it is a lot more than $12 but it is more.. Regardless, it is peeled and deveined which I very much prefer to having to do it myself.
Unless I am grilling or using in a recipe I always roast my shrimp using Ina Garten's method. IMO boiling any protein (including chicken and shrimp) tends to toughen the meat...even a low simmer is better or poaching. The roasting method is no mess, less shrinkage & curling and is always foolproof.
Didn't you used to make chimichurri at home? I love it on flank steak .
BTW, shrimp is pretty high in sodium already. As I recall, you are watching your sodium so maybe you could skip it in the thawing or cooking process if that is a concern.

Originally Posted by phillygold
Seeing this brings a tear to my eye. Excellent job Corky! Note for everyone...this is how fish is prepared. Simple, without a ton of goopy sauce dumped on top. Cooked...but not overcooked and dry.
Well I must admit that there is a good amount of brown butter/lemon on top. I don't mind sauces on top of fish and almost always need lemon. And a good dill sauce is perfect too.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 16, 2021 at 12:23 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it is a lot more than $12 but it is more.. Regardless, it is peeled and deveined which I very much prefer to having to do it myself.
Unless I am grilling or using in a recipe I always roast my shrimp using Ina Garten's method. IMO boiling any protein (including chicken and shrimp) tends to toughen the meat...even a low simmer is better or poaching. The roasting method is no mess, less shrinkage & curling and is always foolproof.
Didn't you used to make chimichurri at home? I love it on flank steak .
BTW, shrimp is pretty high in sodium already. As I recall, you are watching your sodium so maybe you could skip it in the thawing or cooking process if that is a concern.
I really cooked supper for my family last night before going out for my play date. I ate one shrimp and two bites of steak, more for QC. I have zero problems removing shrimp shells.
mega tip - when I used to get prawns in Chinese restaurants, I just ate the whole thing - prawn, shell, tail. Crunch crunch. In 1998 I had live drunken shrimp in Shanghai so if I was eating those poor guys while alive, then eating the shell is zero concern.
So for my family, I just remove the shells and tails.
I still have some Argentinian shrimp but those have to be properly thawed. I’m actually super satisfied with this Costco frozen wild shrimp. I’m such a convert!!!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I really cooked supper for my family last night before going out for my play date. I ate one shrimp and two bites of steak, more for QC. I have zero problems removing shrimp shells.
mega tip - when I used to get prawns in Chinese restaurants, I just ate the whole thing - prawn, shell, tail. Crunch crunch. In 1998 I had live drunken shrimp in Shanghai so if I was eating those poor guys while alive, then eating the shell is zero concern.
So for my family, I just remove the shells and tails.
I still have some Argentinian shrimp but those have to be properly thawed. I’m actually super satisfied with this Costco frozen wild shrimp. I’m such a convert!!!
So I wasn't imagining that you said Argentinian shrimp previously? I can't imagine why anyone would eat the shells....plus the vein.
Your play date? Wasn't that for your kid? What is an adult play date other than Ian or HT style playing?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Your play date? Wasn't that for your kid? What is an adult play date other than Ian or HT style playing?
I figured it was his poker night or similar?
corky likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Used leftover chili and refried beans to make nachos. Very good!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis

Last night we had grilled marinated flank steak. It was so good that tonight, for dinner, we made sandwiches with the leftovers with provolone on La Brea sourdough baguette.
Thanks to this and all the other beef posts, I am now the proud owner of a trip tip roast. I don't know if I will get a chance to grill it soon or if it will end up in the freezer.
Beef---it's what's for dinner.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mixed green salad
leftover slice of pizza - artichoke heart & spinach

Girl Scout cookies
blood oranges

So I wasn't imagining that you said Argentinian shrimp previously? I can't imagine why anyone would eat the shells....plus the vein.
have you had the shells? Crunch crunch.
ive had these prawns at Chinese restaurants where the full shrimp including shell has some sauce, so even the shells have taste.
My play date. Children don’t get an evening play date. the anticipation makes it feel like a booty call.

Originally Posted by braslvr
I figured it was his poker night or similar?
This - poker at someone’s house. All vax. My favorite thing in the world when away from my family. Cheap date for me.

Thanks to this and all the other beef posts, I am now the proud owner of a trip tip roast. I don't know if I will get a chance to grill it soon or if it will end up in the freezer.
Beef---it's what's for dinner.
Bon app! Would you grill it and freeze the leftovers?
I’ve yet to buy a big hunk of meat that I imagine roasting for hours. Just steak and that one corned beef. There’s zero requests for making prime rib or roast beef which might be why I’ve not bought such a piece of meat.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:22 am

Curry udon and beef teriyaki udon with various tempura and matcha and yuzu soft serve. Sunset photo added because we forgot to take a picture of the dessert.

corky likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Curry udon and beef teriyaki udon with various tempura and matcha and yuzu soft serve. Sunset photo added because we forgot to take a picture of the dessert.
So gorgeous.
I love Japanese curry. I bought the roux and then got freaked out with the sodium level and stopped trying to cook it :-)
but boy do I love it. I suppose I can buy it again and just eat it with very limited frequency.
ive been just using dried chili peppers to make things spicy as opposed to making curry.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
We went to our favorite butcher today to stock up... And bought a flank steak!

A Japanese restaurant that I loved (and sadly closed) made fried river shrimp (basically the tiny shrimp you sometimes see in fried rice) and they were cooked shell and all, and you were just pop them in your mouth like a French fry. They were delicious.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marinating baby lamb chops in lemon, garlic, rosemary, oil, balsamic...going to go on the grill.
also green salad with avocado dressing. The avocado takes the place of any oil and it is really good--I had my doubts
roasted potatoes
peas with scallions and mint
kipper, wrp96 and CoffeeTraveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.