Reload this Page >

The Great Sriracha Shortage Is Over For Now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great Sriracha Shortage Is Over For Now

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:25 pm

Out of curiosity, how much sriracha (or any hot sauce) do you carry with you? And in what form (eg, travel bottle, those "ketchup packs" or some other method)?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
That seems extremely expensive for some reason. The bottle I picked up was CDN$5.49BT (CDN$6.20AT or approximately USD$4.61) for a 730ml (24.7oz). Wasn't Huey-Fong (more expensive but not hideously so) but still.

(I picked up two bottles just in case...)
Yeah, much more than I was expecting, though I ended up buying it because this was my first time seeing it on shelves since it went away. I hope to visit one of the Asian grocery stores in the KC Metro this coming week to get some items and hope they have the larger bottles or the smaller bottles for less.

Out of curiosity, how much sriracha (or any hot sauce) do you carry with you? And in what form (eg, travel bottle, those "ketchup packs" or some other method)?
I used to carry a bottle like this when I traveled, though the lid wasn't very secure and would often open up on its own. Certainly nice to have to jazz up bland airline meals!

Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I used to carry a bottle like this when I traveled, though the lid wasn't very secure and would often open up on its own. Certainly nice to have to jazz up bland airline meals!
Unfortunately the only containers I have that are similar are hand sanitizer bottles. Not quite what I would want to repurpose to hold food items. Hrm. Will have to figure this out. I refuse to pay the highway robbery these companies want for these bottles.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Unfortunately the only containers I have that are similar are hand sanitizer bottles. Not quite what I would want to repurpose to hold food items. Hrm. Will have to figure this out. I refuse to pay the highway robbery these companies want for these bottles.
Many years ago, I purchased some small, plastic containers at REI to use for toiletries when camping. Over the years, they became useful for travel. While many have gone up in price, I see a Nalgene dispenser (2oz) for $3.45 which doesn't seem too bad, especially if you have one of their stores nearby and can avoid shipping. I imagine EMS or LL Bean sell something similar if they are closer to you.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Many years ago, I purchased some small, plastic containers at REI to use for toiletries when camping. Over the years, they became useful for travel. While many have gone up in price, I see a Nalgene dispenser (2oz) for $3.45 which doesn't seem too bad, especially if you have one of their stores nearby and can avoid shipping. I imagine EMS or LL Bean sell something similar if they are closer to you.
We don't have most of those stores (I think we might have LL Bean up here somewhere) but we do have dollar stores that carry dispensers (although how many are food-grade is another story). Pretty sure I'll find something in the camping aisle somewhere.

For some reason just had a flashback of a scene from Hudson Hawk... where the goon is in Paris at a restaurant and asks the waiter for ketchup... now swap it for sriracha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.