Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My point was "interesting," not fresh
I kinda like both.

David

p.s. I have brought aboard freshly made naan, lavash, pitas as well but again requires advance planning...
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Ziploc-type or slider lock-type plastic bags work well to avoid items drying out - double bag as necessary.

David
Haven't tried double bagging, but one of those "thicker" ziplocks still tends to end up pretty dry. But worth a shot.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Haven't tried double bagging, but one of those "thicker" ziplocks still tends to end up pretty dry. But worth a shot.
One other recovery technique I've used is, with the double bag technique, get a damp (not wet) napkin and place it in the first/outer bag. That provides a source of moisture that bread seems to be able to absorb.

David
Eastbay1K and GW McLintock like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by DELee
One other recovery technique I've used is, with the double bag technique, get a damp (not wet) napkin and place it in the first/outer bag. That provides a source of moisture that bread seems to be able to absorb.

David
I've done this in the past and it works very well

-J.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Accor, VIA Préférence
I usually go the snack route. Granola bar, chips, chocolate, etc. I don't like bringing anything that will make my entire bag smell like food later.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I always have a snack bar or two in my backpack in the event of irrops or some other situation. When my Grandpa was still around, he would make us fresh turkey sandwiches on rye bread (and toss in a cookie..!) to take on our flights home after visiting. I don't typically bring real food these days, but sure enjoyed when I had a brown bag of homemade items back in the day.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Interesting meals on a plane

Sitting in the back most of the time, I'm always looking for "better" food to bring with me in case I get the munchies (the ham sandwiches I often see aren't great)... I'll often grab stuff like a sub or sausage and egg mcmuffin... Hamburgers dry very badly on TPAC flights... And with no easy way to reheat them... (want to try something but work has me grounded for now) so what are your gotos?

As a note... Not sure if this guy's meal was any good...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/plane-passenger-baffled-person-next-29312899

​​​​​
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Sushi/sashimi are my favourite bring-aboard meals. There may be a couple of vodka minis in tow.
work2fly likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I tend to bring snacks for the kiddos and gum for air pressure changes.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Sushi/sashimi are my favourite bring-aboard meals. There may be a couple of vodka minis in tow.
In the USA, at least, it is a federal offense to consume any alcohol not served by flight attendants.

Of course that doesn't stop most people, and you can generally get away with it (assuming you carry the minis off the plane).

-J.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:12 am

When in California, I'll always arrive with a sack of in-and-out
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy
I always bring a few granola bars and cookies for short flights to help when I am feeling peckish
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:09 pm

Snacks like granola bars, trail mix, dried fruits, or BBQ peanuts. I also prepare sandwiches or wraps such as a turkey and avocado wrap: spread mashed avocado on a whole-grain wrap, top with sliced turkey, lettuce, tomato, and a drizzle of honey mustard dressing; a tuna salad sandwich: mix canned tuna with Greek yogurt, diced celery, and red onion, spread on whole-grain bread and top with lettuce and tomato; and a chicken Caesar wrap: fill a whole-grain wrap with sliced grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, shredded Parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:08 am

I like having onigiri (rice balls) I usually put furikake or salmon inside. I wrap in seaweed right before eating it so it stays crunchy.
I also bring chips, nuts, dark chocolate and sour candy.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Last month I picked up an omelet and potatoes from a Priority Pass restaurant to bring on the plane. I then proceeded to eat it shortly before the flight and then was upgraded to F. But luckily I kept the plastic to-go container and had a lunchbox with an ice pack, so I took the frittata and potatoes from the F meal to have for lunch after the flight

-J.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.