Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Redheadpeter
We need someone to start selling Bento boxes in airports - like the ones on Japanese Rail stations. Delicious.
Wakaba at SFO T2 should have them. Priced accordingly
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
On an early am flight, bagel wiith a shmear.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:37 am

I have found that the mighty chickpea works well. I carry a bag of the dried ones and on occasion one of those small travel packs of hummus with either carrots or pita for short flights. More satisfying (for me) than empty carbs.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by rxgeek
On an early am flight, bagel wiith a shmear.
At the LGA Marine Air Terminal, you used to be able to get a toasted bagel from the Italian-looking place (not Dunkin) with a schmear of your choice for $5 (this may have been with a discount, I don't recall). This included the lox spread, which made it an incredible value and a real treat anytime I flew out of LGA in the morning.

-J.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:43 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Always liked the sandwiches from Au Bon Pain. Better food tan what you got on the airplane back in the 90s. DFW and FLL airport locations. Nowadays, when returning from GER, buying Smoked BF Ham sandwiches and Butter Pretzels to eat on the plane.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Later this month I have a MR on Alaska Air. None of the BOB food especially appeals to me, nor do most of the F meals, so I'm planning to bring a salad for my transcon in the morning. I'll pick up other things along the way for my other flights I think.

-J.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I sometimes bring airline lounge food onto the plane, especially if I'm seated in the back.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I sometimes bring airline lounge food onto the plane, especially if I'm seated in the back.
I will often do that or get food at a PP restaurant in the terminal. Hoping my next flights both go from SEA N so I can go to Bambuza -- they have some really great to-go options.

-J.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:33 am

for my flight from GYE, i usually get a dry turkey sandwich from a local store (i say dry because they usually slather on a ton of mayo/cole slaw) or recently, while at the lounge in GYE, take some mini sandwiches or desserts,

flying to GYE from JFK, i am trying to avoid anything in the airport, not only for the price, but i tend to get a little gassy on the plane, so trying to avoid soda, burgers, philly cheesesteaks etc..maybe again just packing a sandwich with some crackers
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Brought/brung from home:

My "just in case I need to make my own taco/wrap/rolling-ball bearing food collector"

The blueberries y'all already saw.

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Brought/brung from home:

My "just in case I need to make my own taco/wrap/rolling-ball bearing food collector"

The blueberries y'all already saw.

David
If it were injera, at least you'd be interesting
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yeah. Kinda hard to source without a trip to a local restaurant...also not sure how long it would keep...

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not sure about other places, but injera from places around here are kinda thick (double what I see on Youtube). I'd rather go with some small ciabatta loafs (Costco carries some about the right size) and I'd likely but the FAs for some butter. That'd do me for a trip (assuming the bread doesn't dry out)
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Not sure about other places, but injera from places around here are kinda thick (double what I see on Youtube). I'd rather go with some small ciabatta loafs (Costco carries some about the right size) and I'd likely but the FAs for some butter. That'd do me for a trip (assuming the bread doesn't dry out)
Ziploc-type or slider lock-type plastic bags work well to avoid items drying out - double bag as necessary.

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Yeah. Kinda hard to source without a trip to a local restaurant...also not sure how long it would keep...

David
My point was "interesting," not fresh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.