Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Forgot about the bolo bao version. I try to avoid them (too sweet for me). They're common enough here (popular too as they often run out). Now you've got me thinking of dim sum.... ARGH!
Interestingly enough, on a recent flight from SE Asia to the EU, my dessert course was a gourmet mini one of these and was actually pretty good. Too bad it wasn't one of those on demand items, otherwise I'd keep ordering these as snacks throughout the flight.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Interestingly enough, on a recent flight from SE Asia to the EU, my dessert course was a gourmet mini one of these and was actually pretty good. Too bad it wasn't one of those on demand items, otherwise I'd keep ordering these as snacks throughout the flight.
Char siu, custard, red bean, plain are the most common types I see here. Currently my guilty pleasure are durian cream puffs. But the flavour has been fading as of late...maybe they're putting in less durian... Would make an interesting flight. 😂
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:58 pm

Char siu, custard, red bean, plain are the most common types I see here. Currently my guilty pleasure are durian cream puffs. But the flavour has been fading as of late...maybe they're putting in less durian... Would make an interesting flight. 😂
Good grief! The one saving grace about Singapore's fine culture is the sign on their subway declaring a monetary penalty for eating the fruit. I'm convinced 50% of people are born either liking or hating it. I can't anyone acquiring the taste of it, which I surely can't even in a million years.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Good grief! The one saving grace about Singapore's fine culture is the sign on their subway declaring a monetary penalty for eating the fruit. I'm convinced 50% of people are born either liking or hating it. I can't anyone acquiring the taste of it, which I surely can't even in a million years.
Lol. It should still be durian season in Singapore and Malaysia. If you're feeling brave, visit Rochor Road during Durian season... you'll know you're in the general vicinity... Or the numerous buffets that are durian themed. Just make sure you bring some perfume with you. Around here, many of the smaller asian supermarket chains have fresh durian parked right beside the entrance. Always fun to watch the people who don't know what durians actually smell like react.

(And if you're in for some laughs, Here's a
)

Personally, I try to keep it under control. It's not repulsive to me, but it is a tad "heaty" so have to be careful not to consume too much at once.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:54 pm

I’m sure there are more people who can’t stand it, me included. It’s not only the taste I dislike, but the smell of it makes me nauseous.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thomasfly (Post # 110)
I’m sure there are more people who can’t stand [durian], me included. It’s not only the taste I dislike, but the smell of it makes me nauseous.
I hope it only makes you nauseated.

"Nauseous" means causing others to be nauseated.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jan 17, 2024 at 6:33 am
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Maybe it's coincidental, but the asian markets around here whose entrances go directly into the produce section have all put their fresh durian within range of the entrance. You get a good hit of it as soon as the door opens and the air whoshes out.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Maybe it's coincidental, but the asian markets around here whose entrances go directly into the produce section have all put their fresh durian within range of the entrance. You get a good hit of it as soon as the door opens and the air whoshes out.
I tried durian for the first time last week. Some friends who love it are in town and we were shopping in Chinatown where they had a bunch of them. I was expecting so much worse, both the smell and the taste. Neither were particularly offensive but I can't say I loved the taste. The smell wasn't bad; not pleasant but not nauseating either. Ditto the taste. Not something I would ever choose to eat again but not vomit-inducing either. I don't get the extreme reactions.
braslvr and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
I tried durian for the first time last week. Some friends who love it are in town and we were shopping in Chinatown where they had a bunch of them. I was expecting so much worse, both the smell and the taste. Neither were particularly offensive but I can't say I loved the taste. The smell wasn't bad; not pleasant but not nauseating either. Ditto the taste. Not something I would ever choose to eat again but not vomit-inducing either. I don't get the extreme reactions.
Personally, I really dislike blue cheese... Not quite violently, but likely how you describe your liking of durian... Same for stinky tofu. About the only durian product I cannot stand is durian coffee.

I think the extreme reaction is along the same lines for people who go out of their comfort zone. Since it's not a big leap for me, it's fine. But for meat and potatoes people, I can see a bad first reaction.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I hope it only makes you nauseated.

"Nauseous" means causing others to be nauseated.
Sorry about that, I guess it is safer to say that “the taste and smell of durian makes me sick”. I have tasted durian candy once, that tasted good, but I want to try durian coffee next.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomasfly
Sorry about that, I guess it is safer to say that “the taste and smell of durian makes me sick”. I have tasted durian candy once, that tasted good, but I want to try durian coffee next.
Trust me, Durian coffee is not good and not an acquired taste... and this is coming from someone who has appreciated durian in many forms (chews, hard candy, pudding, cream puff, fresh fruit, ice cream)... I am interested in trying a fermented durian soup that I saw recently in a travel vlog (Kuching, Sarawak Malaysia)
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:56 am

Trust me, Durian coffee is not good and not an acquired taste... and this is coming from someone who has appreciated durian in many forms (chews, hard candy, pudding, cream puff, fresh fruit, ice cream)... I am interested in trying a fermented durian soup that I saw recently in a travel vlog (Kuching, Sarawak Malaysia)
Thank you for the warning, I would stop dreaming about tasting durian coffee. Your post also reminded me that I also have tasted and liked durian ice cream. I saw this recipe of fermented durian soup https://malaysiavegetarianfood.com/t...mented-durian/. Is this the same with what you saw in a Malaysian travel vlog, @StuckInYYZ?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomasfly
Thank you for the warning, I would stop dreaming about tasting durian coffee. Your post also reminded me that I also have tasted and liked durian ice cream. I saw this recipe of fermented durian soup https://malaysiavegetarianfood.com/t...mented-durian/. Is this the same with what you saw in a Malaysian travel vlog, @StuckInYYZ?
It is, but I didn't know how it was processed. Here's the vlog, @5:30ish. That said, some of the other Sarawak dishes looking interesting as well.

Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:09 pm

Generally, I'd take a trail mix-type of snack; figure, dried fruit, nuts, chocolate. To balance out the sweet, I'd have something savory, often in the vein of something from the Indian subcontinent. Lentils and fried potato sticks are the common denominators, as is the presence of chilies.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:47 pm

Banh mi is the perfect food to bring for travelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.