Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I don't like to bring anything through security so anything that I can scrounge from the airport lounges. My go to is a banana and gummi bears in a cup. Something healthy and something not so much but good. The FAs smile when they see the bears.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Yesterday I picked up two salads from a deli in New Orleans with the intention of having one for lunch at my office, and one for dinner on my flight. What I did not expect was to be upgraded to first class. However it all worked out as these were snAAck basket flights (as opposed to meal flights), so I had plenty of space to enjoy my salad with fresh gulf shrimp and remoulade dressing.

-J.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Some passengers buy the most delicious-smelling food they can find at the airport, to bring aboard, so their fellow travelers will realize what they should have done (and note the shortcomings of airline food).
braslvr likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

So a teammate of mine agreed to be a guinea pig and took a set of har gau and siu mai on a trip to HKG. The siu mai wasn't bad (but should be warmed). Har gau is a definite no. The skin became disgustingly hard. Kinda what I predicted.

Would still like to get a self heating ekiben on a plane one day. (yes, I know, not likely to happen)
Visconti likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
It often depends on embarking airport / country .. the last one was banh mi , local fruits ( lychee , mango , pineapple and soursop ) canned drinks picked up after scanning and chocolate from PH Saigon .. oh yes also their tiramisu ( takeout version which is not as delicious as their dine in ) & Azerai CanTho signature tiramisu , both which were frozen ..

Usually some cake and chocolates on all flights , sometimes a sandwich
From from lounges
FRA - pretzel & bratwurst
SIN - cha siew pau , har gau , egg mayo sandwich

Helps to have spare ziplocks from FS MAD & RAK !
For these , it helps to be flying SIA business or F / Suites .. crew will help “ steam “ .. cheong fun is too messy to bring on unless I happen to have an extra & new take away box

As for others - not sure about other airlines .. like not on some EK , some crew get it but others do not ..
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Lol, that's one way to do it. From what I hear, crews will not do it in general. Especially North American airlines. As for carrying it, that's usually not an issue. I just don't mix the sauces. I have these salad dressing containers I got from a dollar store. I just pour the sauces into those and then when I'm ready to eat, pour it out. But I've never really found a good way to reheat cheong fan, on land or in the air. Microwave often makes it into mush. Steaming it takes a long time and makes a mess.
So a teammate of mine agreed to be a guinea pig and took a set of har gau and siu mai on a trip to HKG. The siu mai wasn't bad (but should be warmed). Har gau is a definite no. The skin became disgustingly hard. Kinda what I predicted.

Would still like to get a self heating ekiben on a plane one day. (yes, I know, not likely to happen)
On a recent SQ892

Cha siu pau and har gao

The cha siew pau passed muster while the filling of the har gao was fine but not the “ skin “ , definitely not delicate but rather tough
Old Nov 7, 2023, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

On a recent SQ892
Cha siu pau and har gao

The cha siew pau passed muster while the filling of the har gao was fine but not the “ skin “ , definitely not delicate but rather tough
What kind of char Siu was it? The chunked style or pulled pork style? After receiving a replacement laptop for work, I think I have found a suitable reheater.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Never leave home without my apples and a few snack bars. That will usually hold me till I get to a lounge or a restaurant in the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:19 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
What kind of char Siu was it? The chunked style or pulled pork style? After receiving a replacement laptop for work, I think I have found a suitable reheater.
Was fine chunked style , quite moist and tasty
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I recently did the opposite of this thread. I got three meals from Priority Pass restaurants and then had two flights in first class. Since I had most of my chicken pho in Seattle, I finished the chicken from that (and the broth) and put the big juicy chicken breast Alaska Air had given me into the container to enjoy the next day. The next flight was a redeye, so I picked out the tofu from my banh mi salad and added the vegetables to the container as well to make it into a very nice chicken salad. The other two meals from the PP restaurants became breakfast and dinner yesterday, and the chicken salad concoction was lunch. For a snack I had a bag of chips I had gotten for free from my hotel, and a Fuji apple I got from the Alaska Boardroom in ANC.

-J.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
Never leave home without my apples and a few snack bars. That will usually hold me till I get to a lounge or a restaurant in the airport.
I do apples for certain domestic flights. Far too many times I've forgotten about apples in my bag when passing through customs....
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently discovered that the Farmer's Fridge salads-in-a-jar you can get at vending machines and some stores in the airport are actually pretty good, so those would be my vote.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Was fine chunked style , quite moist and tasty
Thought so. The old school types of baos tend to stand up to reheating better. We have another style here that is more along the lines of finely chopped pulled pork with way too much sauce in them. Don't get them often, but sometimes buy them by accident. They tend to leak a lot when hot. Although that said, lately I've been leaning towards the da bao types.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I recently discovered that the Farmer's Fridge salads-in-a-jar you can get at vending machines and some stores in the airport are actually pretty good, so those would be my vote.
I find outbound it's not an issue for salad... but on the return flight, it can sometimes be a challenge (although I suppose worse comes to worse, you can always stop at a Wendy's or BK or some place and buy a salad to go)
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:42 pm

Thought so. The old school types of baos tend to stand up to reheating better. We have another style here that is more along the lines of finely chopped pulled pork with way too much sauce in them. Don't get them often, but sometimes buy them by accident.)
Hm, don't think I've run across the pulled pork ones. Is this style relatively new? I sued to prefer the steamed ones as in FlyerEC's pic but these days I prefer the roasted ones with the "ball law bao" type of covering. Everyone I've introduced to those things just love it and always ask me to pick up a dozen or so whenever I drop by.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Hm, don't think I've run across the pulled pork ones. Is this style relatively new? I sued to prefer the steamed ones as in FlyerEC's pic but these days I prefer the roasted ones with the "ball law bao" type of covering. Everyone I've introduced to those things just love it and always ask me to pick up a dozen or so whenever I drop by.
I haven't picked one up in a while (the supermarkets that carry them aren't my regular gotos) but I'll see if I can find them. I know they've bveen around here for a while... at least 5-10 years. But then again, the "street style" cheong fun (the scraped version) is relatively new compared to the traditional rolled version.

Forgot about the bolo bao version. I try to avoid them (too sweet for me). They're common enough here (popular too as they often run out). Now you've got me thinking of dim sum.... ARGH!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
I do apples for certain domestic flights. Far too many times I've forgotten about apples in my bag when passing through customs....

yeah same here..usually I walk thru but sometimes I remember and eat it right then and there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.