The Recipe Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Recipe Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Its generally served with steaks, but I like to use it for dipping the bread that comes before the steak. I also have used it as a vegetable marinade (before grilling) and with chips when I ran out of salsa.
Used it on my whole snapper fish yesterday at El Puerto, Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya.. 4 diamond AAA

And the waiter suggested it wasn't a faux pas.. these guys are serious about the cuisine.^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So generally Chimmichurri is used on steaks.. I'm new to this having had it served at the fine dining restaurant at Fairmont Mayakoba..

Is it generally served for anything else?
Funny, sometimes I just eat it as is. Kinda reminds me of Tabouleh
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recipe Idea

This from my mom - worked really well tonight for dinner. It's sort of like lasagna without the pasta.

Slice chicken breasts into medallions. Put some butter and olive oil in a big pan and saute some garlic and onion in it. Add the chicken and saute until it's almost cooked.

Put chicken/onion/garlic into a baking pan. (I used a glass 9x13 dish) Add some sliced mushrooms (I used baby bella/creminis). Pour a jar of pasta sauce in. Top with fresh spinach and slices of fresh mozzarella. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 mins or until liquid is gone (this is why it's good to use a glass pan - you can see how much liquid is left. Although I just poured out excess liquid after 25 mins).

Turn off the oven. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and put back in until parmesan melts, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Yum!

What are your ideas?

Last edited by gfunkdave; Sep 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:57 am

Looks pretty good. Saved in my recipe book. I might even try to make this on sunday
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:36 am

Sounds really nice, although without pasta I would need some garlic bread with that!^
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by indianwells
Sounds really nice, although without pasta I would need some garlic bread with that!^
It does sound very yummy, but I agree that it needs garlic bread. I may try it on Sunday, and make homemade garlic bread from scratch.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny you all mention garlic bread...quite independently, I roasted some garlic bulbs and served them as a side with some crusty Italian bread.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:05 am

I didn't try it that Sunday, but I am going to try it tonight, in part because it won't take too long, which is one of my requirements for weekday cooking.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Sounds good. I don't think I could resist serving it over pasta...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:15 am

I put some variations on your recipe. Instead of parmesan, I use mozzarella cheese to make it more gummy.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:22 am

Tried this, but with penne and using olive oil/saute liquid as sauce (Mr. Kipper's idea). Needed more garlic, but that's the only change.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 am

Substituting red wine for white in a recipe?

A recipe I'm interested in trying calls for white wine, but I only have red wine at home. Can I substitute that instead, or is it going to dramatically change the taste? Likewise, can I use regular wine, or do I need cooking wine or some such?

I apologize for the seemingly stupid questions, but I don't use wine to cook that frequently, and I don't drink much wine, since I'm more of a beer person. On the rare occasion I do drink wine, it's usually red wine, hence why I don't have white wine at home.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:54 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I substitute red all the time since I generally don't want to open a bottle of white since I won't drink it once it's open. Once in a while I'll go buy a 4 pack of mini bottles of white (Sutter Home maybe?) to have around when I'm cooking something that red really won't work for (like risotto).

cooking wine is yuck.

Fancy cooks will tell you to never cook with a wine you aren't willing to drink, but I don't drink any white wine, so it doesn't bother me to just use the cheapest possible bottle.

Two buck chuck is your friend
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I substitute red all the time since I generally don't want to open a bottle of white since I won't drink it once it's open. Once in a while I'll go buy a 4 pack of mini bottles of white (Sutter Home maybe?) to have around when I'm cooking something that red really won't work for (like risotto).

cooking wine is yuck.

Fancy cooks will tell you to never cook with a wine you aren't willing to drink, but I don't drink any white wine, so it doesn't bother me to just use the cheapest possible bottle.

Two buck chuck is your friend
Thanks! I didn't want to buy white wine since I usually won't drink it, although I never thought of the mini bottles.

I think I'll try it with red tonight, and if it's lousy, then I'll opt for the mini bottles of white.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
While I never use recipes, I have bascially always used white wine with mussels, I was out, so made mussels in wild rice with a red wine.

I put a hint of smoked paprika in it, which I would not do with a white wine, and wow, it turned out so good I WILL be making it again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.