Wiki Posts
Search

Saffron buying tips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Question Saffron buying tips?

I've never bought saffron before, so I googled for some guidance. I learned top quality is "Premium Super Negin" and one step below that is "Super Negin". Spain has their own rating system with "Coupe" being the top. It is harvested in Spain, the Middle East, North Africa, and Eastern Europe as far as I've read. My head is swimming especially after reading conflicting amazon reviews. Googling further, 0.5 gram is roughly equal to four pinches, so I'd be happy with buying 1 g or 2 g.

Can any of you make suggestions or personal recommendations? Favorite region, brand, and / or seller?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Last time we personally bought saffron was in Istanbul ages ago , we plan on returning next year . Our guide helped us choose as we had no idea , language issues too . Before that was likely from Marrakech , more like 20 years ago . Before that was probably in France or Spain too ..
Then our friends also / usually bought / gave us .. frightfully pricey .
Assuming the more expensive it is , the better the quality . Sorry not much help here .
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've been looking too, since we had to borrow some from my MIL recently when we tried a new recipe. This one gets pretty good reviews, but I haven't purchased it yet.

https://zaransaffron.com/products/sa...SABEgINLPD_BwE
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I got my last big stash of saffron from that produced just outside of SXR in India. I liked it much better than even the Iranian saffron I have been getting in Scandinavia. The Spanish and Moroccan saffron is less to my liking for some reason than the Indian and Iranian stuff, but I cant exactly pin down why that is.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Last time we personally bought saffron was in Istanbul ages ago , we plan on returning next year . Our guide helped us choose as we had no idea , language issues too . Before that was likely from Marrakech , more like 20 years ago . Before that was probably in France or Spain too ..
Assuming the more expensive it is , the better the quality . Sorry not much help here .
It's been a long while, but do you remember liking one more than the other?
Originally Posted by JBord
I've been looking too, since we had to borrow some from my MIL recently when we tried a new recipe. This one gets pretty good reviews, but I haven't purchased it yet.

https://zaransaffron.com/products/sa...SABEgINLPD_BwE
Oh, interesting. This company is located in Campbell, CA, an hour+ north of me. They only sell Super Negin, and the 2g tin for $16.95 + $3 shipping, despite a free shipping banner across the top of the page. They also have an amazon store and sell the same tin for $13.95 + free shipping. Reviews are mostly good there, but who knows these days with a farmed reviews industry out there. Thanks for the tip.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I got my last big stash of saffron from that produced just outside of SXR in India. I liked it much better than even the Iranian saffron I have been getting in Scandinavia. The Spanish and Moroccan saffron is less to my liking for some reason than the Indian and Iranian stuff, but I cant exactly pin down why that is.
As far as I remember from yesterday, I don't recall coming across Indian saffron. I'll look into it. And you reminded me I have a FTer FB friend who is of Iranian ancestry, so hopefully I'll get some recommendations there too. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boxo
As far as I remember from yesterday, I don't recall coming across Indian saffron. I'll look into it. And you reminded me I have a FTer FB friend who is of Iranian ancestry, so hopefully I'll get some recommendations there too. Thanks for sharing.
The Kashmir region of India has a long history of producing saffron, and it used to be the only commercial producing region of saffron in/from India. Some pictures of such:

https://zeenews.india.com/india/kash...a-2385899.html

Kashmiri saffron usually priced as far more expensive than Iranian saffron. The Uttarakhand region of India is also joining in the action of producing Indian saffron:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/86017813.cms

Saffron has great cultural significance in India. Interestingly enough it also has some seasonal cultural significance in Sweden too, but nothing like Indian saffron has in India.
boxo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Oh, interesting. This company is located in Campbell, CA, an hour+ north of me. They only sell Super Negin, and the 2g tin for $16.95 + $3 shipping, despite a free shipping banner across the top of the page. They also have an amazon store and sell the same tin for $13.95 + free shipping. Reviews are mostly good there, but who knows these days with a farmed reviews industry out there. Thanks for the tip.
The reviews are what caught my eye as well when I was searching. I'm a total novice at it. But my thinking was that what I buy depends on what I'm using it for. This particular dish that we'd probably make again was a saffron broth, so high quality is probably better. If just a pinch is getting added to paella, with all the other flavors, I wonder if any old saffron would be just fine.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Two comments:
* If you have an Indian neighborhood nearby, go to an Indian grocery store. Great quality, low prices compared to most places.
* I had a Persian boyfriend who would bring saffron (and caviar) back for me when he'd visit Tehran -- the quantities were obscene and it was wonderful!
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It's been a long while, but do you remember liking one more than the other?

Oh, interesting. This company is located in Campbell, CA, an hour+ north of me ….. They also have an amazon store and sell the same tin for $13.95 + free shipping. Reviews are mostly good there, but who knows these days with a farmed reviews industry out there. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry , from what I recall , our helper back then sort of got them all mixed up so she could not tell us .
We might have gotten some Indian ones too from “ Little India “ !
On the other hand , had a very resourceful gardener who on weekly visits to Little India would bring us spices at times , to our loss & our neighbourhood ‘ s , has since returned to India .
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
The reviews are what caught my eye as well when I was searching. I'm a total novice at it. But my thinking was that what I buy depends on what I'm using it for. This particular dish that we'd probably make again was a saffron broth, so high quality is probably better. If just a pinch is getting added to paella, with all the other flavors, I wonder if any old saffron would be just fine.
I am a novice too and probably couldn't tell the difference. I ordered something on amazon last night and added to my cart the $13.95 Zaran.
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Two comments:
* If you have an Indian neighborhood nearby, go to an Indian grocery store. Great quality, low prices compared to most places.
* I had a Persian boyfriend who would bring saffron (and caviar) back for me when he'd visit Tehran -- the quantities were obscene and it was wonderful!
Where I live, like in the entire county, there are lots of Mexican markets and a few tiny Japanese and Korean shops. A FT friend has offered to bring me some from Israel when he comes 'home' in a couple weeks.
Sorry , from what I recall , our helper back then sort of got them all mixed up so she could not tell us .
We might have gotten some Indian ones too from “ Little India “ !
On the other hand , had a very resourceful gardener who on weekly visits to Little India would bring us spices at times , to our loss & our neighbourhood ‘ s , has since returned to India .
More unhelpful info, but more interesting stories.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Kashmir region of India has a long history of producing saffron, and it used to be the only commercial producing region of saffron in/from India. Some pictures of such:

https://zeenews.india.com/india/kash...a-2385899.html

Kashmiri saffron usually priced as far more expensive than Iranian saffron. The Uttarakhand region of India is also joining in the action of producing Indian saffron:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/86017813.cms

Saffron has great cultural significance in India. Interestingly enough it also has some seasonal cultural significance in Sweden too, but nothing like Indian saffron has in India.
Thank you for the Kashmir info. I unsuccessfully searched amazon for Indian saffron. There is one product with mostly positive reviews, but some bad. Then I visited their website where I eventually clicked their amazon button which took me to amazon India's site. Those reviews are really mixed. Maybe they're true or maybe people have been paid to bad mouth the company. I also did a general internet search which produced company websites, but I am too cautious to send my info to an unknown companies. So my solution for trying Kashmiri saffron is to find some shops in the San Jose area, though I have no plans to travel up there anytime sooner or later.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:56 am
Suspended

Thank you for the Kashmir info. I unsuccessfully searched amazon for Indian saffron. There is one product with mostly positive reviews, but some bad. Then I visited their website where I eventually clicked their amazon button which took me to amazon India's site. Those reviews are really mixed. Maybe they're true or maybe people have been paid to bad mouth the company. I also did a general internet search which produced company websites, but I am too cautious to send my info to an unknown companies. So my solution for trying Kashmiri saffron is to find some shops in the San Jose area, though I have no plans to travel up there anytime sooner or later.
As with too many things in India, unless you source it in person and rely upon a reliable examiner/examination for the product, there is a risk of being fleeced and being provided the bad quality stuff.

I got my last big stash of saffron from that produced just outside of SXR in India, but I didn't have to rely upon online shopping or a random retail supply for that.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Sounds like it was a bad idea to sack him!
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Sounds like it was a bad idea to sack him!
Double entendre added for spice? Harder to pick up than a sack full of saffron from the fields’ flowers.

Speaking of saffron from Iran, now I’m curious if its neighbor Azerbaijan produces any too. I used to get some caviar from Azerbaijani friends but never any saffron.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2021 at 5:41 am
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I bought a 2g tin of Zaran Spanish Coupe from Amazon for $13.95. Mrs. Swede was very satisfied with it, so I bought a 5g tin.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.