Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does chili powder get spicier as it cooks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’m making a pot of chili today, something I do infrequently enough that I forget anything about the previous time. I tasted the chili powder I used before adding it, and it wasn’t spicy at all so I threw in a small amount of cayenne pepper. Tasting the chili as it cooks, it seems much spicier than it should be for the amount of pepper I used. Does the chili powder get spicier as it cooks?
Old May 1, 2021, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I’m making a pot of chili today, something I do infrequently enough that I forget anything about the previous time. I tasted the chili powder I used before adding it, and it wasn’t spicy at all so I threw in a small amount of cayenne pepper. Tasting the chili as it cooks, it seems much spicier than it should be for the amount of pepper I used. Does the chili powder get spicier as it cooks?
I think so. I know many spices benefit from a little time to "bloom" in a recipe, I think that might increase the intensity. Plus, the quantity is reducing so the proportions are switching. This is why you don't salt soup or broth until the end...the salt doesn't reduce and the liquid does.
JBord likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
I think so. I know many spices benefit from a little time to "bloom" in a recipe, I think that might increase the intensity. Plus, the quantity is reducing so the proportions are switching. This is why you don't salt soup or broth until the end...the salt doesn't reduce and the liquid does.
All right on.

gfunkdave - I use fresh peppers to start my chili. Not only do you get a better flavor, you can control the heat. I roast jalapenos and poblanos, along with an onion and some garlic. Everything goes into the food processor and made into what's basically a paste. This becomes the base for my chili instead of powder. Definitely a different flavor since they're not dried though. You can control the heat by the amount of seeds and innards you leave in. Remove all the seeds from the poblanos. For the jalapenos, I'll usually roast about 6-8 depending on size and only leave about 2 whole before adding to the food processor.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
All right on.

gfunkdave - I use fresh peppers to start my chili. Not only do you get a better flavor, you can control the heat. I roast jalapenos and poblanos, along with an onion and some garlic. Everything goes into the food processor and made into what's basically a paste. This becomes the base for my chili instead of powder. Definitely a different flavor since they're not dried though. You can control the heat by the amount of seeds and innards you leave in. Remove all the seeds from the poblanos. For the jalapenos, I'll usually roast about 6-8 depending on size and only leave about 2 whole before adding to the food processor.
Oh I like that! Usually I put some poblano in there but forgot this time. The chili wound up not being spicy at all so maybe it was something to do with the heat or something.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Oh I like that! Usually I put some poblano in there but forgot this time. The chili wound up not being spicy at all so maybe it was something to do with the heat or something.
Also, heat in recipes is affected by how soon the food is served/reheated. Sometimes, I get a much longer low burn from a reheated curry/chili than the day before.

David
Old May 2, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Oil can change the "heat". Piquantness usually peaks during cooking and slowly becomes less so (hours/days later if you are making it to eat over a few days). I find this with paprikas as well as chilis (dried red for the Indian market).
Old May 2, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it does end up being too hot, you can add a can or tomatoes to dilute it. Also, topping with sour cream and cheese helps diffuse the heat. Or cornbread or biscuits.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
If it does end up being too hot, you can add a can or tomatoes to dilute it. Also, topping with sour cream and cheese helps diffuse the heat. Or cornbread or biscuits.
Now I want chili.

Personally, I don't like my chili to taste too tomato-ey. I'd probably try diluting it with beef broth first, which is my main liquid. Just be careful not to turn it into a soup! But I agree tomatoes would help with spice.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.