Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with coffee grounds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Darren
She uses a basin to catch them, so no plumbers. I don't know the purpose, to be honest. I learned not to ask.
Apparently, it is supposed to rebalance the hair and scalp's pH levels.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I used to dump the grounds down the drain, I use a reusable gold filter. I also used to put egg shells down the drain and run the garbage disposal.

A costly plumbing visit has cured me of that habit. Apparently, the coffee grounds and any oil/grease and egg shells combine together to form the hardest substance known to man (sarcasm). Seriously, it was like cement in my outgoing pipe. It was quite a mess.

Now I tap out the grounds in the trash to get most of it, throw the eggs shells out too, and try to avoid putting a lot of grease down the drain as well.
Ok, I'll bite... Are garbage disposal units common in the US? I've never been in a place where the house had one... I keep a few containers near the sink/counter...

- Container for egg shells to dry out and eventually get placed in my fertlizer container in the yard...
- Container for (usually) tea leaves from tea bags (and the occasional coffee grind) to dry out (otherwise they attract fruit flies)... gets treated like the egg container.
- Recycle bin (corner of the kitchen)
- Garbage bin (under the sink and covered)
- Green bin (bones, organic material)

Any grease gets sopped up by paper towels and then tossed in the green bin.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Ok, I'll bite... Are garbage disposal units common in the US? I've never been in a place where the house had one... I keep a few containers near the sink/counter...

- Container for egg shells to dry out and eventually get placed in my fertlizer container in the yard...
- Container for (usually) tea leaves from tea bags (and the occasional coffee grind) to dry out (otherwise they attract fruit flies)... gets treated like the egg container.
- Recycle bin (corner of the kitchen)
- Garbage bin (under the sink and covered)
- Green bin (bones, organic material)

Any grease gets sopped up by paper towels and then tossed in the green bin.
They are fairly common in the US. That said, I've only ever had them in rental units, and haven't really wanted one in my house, because it is just one more thing to break.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am not sure what you are biting, but I don't know if garbage disposals are common or not in the US. But I have had one as long as I have lived in my condo.

I don't have a yard. So composting and spreading organic garbage around the outside of the building would probably anger someone. The critters wouldn't mind, though.

We don't have an effective municipal recycling effort, but I try to recycle 100%. My bins take up the closet in the guest bedroom. About once a month I put them all in the car and drive to the recycling center.

I have a garbage bin under the sink. It is usually takes a week to fill. I live alone and cook all my meals, so my organic stuff is egg shells, an occasional chicken bone, coffee grounds and onion and garlic skins. I just toss that in the trash. I no longer put my grounds or egg shells down the sink as it creates a clog.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Use them as compost and/or to keep pests out of your garden.

https://www.gardeningchannel.com/25-...me-and-garden/
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I used to dump the grounds down the drain, I use a reusable gold filter. I also used to put egg shells down the drain and run the garbage disposal.
Eggs shells are said to be benign and clean out the garbage disposal by providing some lightly abrasive material. Coffee grounds I've always been told to avoid. If one cooks with fats, some will get down the sink. I think the mistake many people make is not using a dishwasher. A combination of the caustic and mildly abrasive solution, heated to rather-elevated temperatures, should do a good job of keeping kitchen sewage pipes clean, or at least push it downstream to make it someone else's problem. Don't try this with a septic system!

Originally Posted by kipper
They are fairly common in the US. That said, I've only ever had them in rental units, and haven't really wanted one in my house, because it is just one more thing to break.
They count as kitchen appliances, believe it or not. Municipal sewage works (at least the one in my previous one) prefer you just dump stuff in the garbage (pre green bin) as it is cheaper to deal with than dumping it down the sewer and the costly treatment (and maintenance) that requires.

They're actually fairly reliable due to their simplicity.. I did have to replace one once, - the plastic housing a cheap condo model cracked.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
In the front, I know of cherry and heirloom tomatoes... At one point I remember planting beefsteak as well, but I don't think they came back. If they come back again this year, I'll take a photo.
They're from seeds from leftover tomatoes (or those consumed not by you). Must have a nice, warm location.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 10, 2021 at 3:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
They count as kitchen appliances, believe it or not.
To the point where, in IL, they are listed in a real estate contract. I can't imagine anyone wanting to disassemble and take it with them when they move, but a lot of things don't make sense.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JBord
To the point where, in IL, they are listed in a real estate contract. I can't imagine anyone wanting to disassemble and take it with them when they move, but a lot of things don't make sense.
Probably 2 schools of thought: I bought it and I want to keep it or I paid $xxx for the top if the line 600 HP and need it wherever I go.

David
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I am not sure what you are biting, but I don't know if garbage disposals are common or not in the US. But I have had one as long as I have lived in my condo.
We don't have an effective municipal recycling effort, but I try to recycle 100%. My bins take up the closet in the guest bedroom. About once a month I put them all in the car and drive to the recycling center.
I am surprised that your condo building / complex lacks recycling / etc - I feel that one condo benefit is for the monthly fee that covers certain inconveniences such as recycling collection / etc.

i think a garbage disposal is very useful - we’ve had ours since 2009 and only rarely have needed to press the reset button below the disposal machine. We also have a dishwasher but I think both appliances are great without each other.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:32 pm

Eggs shells are said to be benign and clean out the garbage disposal by providing some lightly abrasive material. Coffee grounds I've always been told to avoid. If one cooks with fats, some will get down the sink. I think the mistake many people make is not using a dishwasher. A combination of the caustic and mildly abrasive solution, heated to rather-elevated temperatures, should do a good job of keeping kitchen sewage pipes clean, or at least push it downstream to make it someone else's problem. Don't try this with a septic system!
I hand wash my stuff. Makes no sense to rinse off the stuff only thing have it washed again. That said, I do occasionally pour hot water (not boiling) down the sink once in a while just in case there's grease that I didn't get with the paper towel. Pretty good at disinfecting the sink as well. Combined with the stuff I use to clean the sink and I've never seen a clog there.

They're from seeds from leftover tomatoes (or those consumed not by you). Must have a nice, warm location.
Maybe. I usually pick up any leftovers and put them in a section of the yard where I know squirrels gather and leave it to them to consume or dispose of as they will. The area where the vines grow isn't the warmest, but gets a lot of morning sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.