What to do with coffee grounds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with coffee grounds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
what would occur if you didn’t rinse the egg shells?
my spouse won’t let me try putting any compost into our garden area so I’m loving this thread while having limits of what I can do.
I'm not sure. I don't usually rinse the shells, I have a small plastic takeaway bowl that I toss the shells in when I use eggs. They usually dry out overnight. There might be some leftover egg white in the shell, but not much. Then I just toss them into the mortar and when I have some time, I just grind the shells and pour into a bag. The coffee grinds (don't have often as I don't drink a lot of coffee, but I do get them... I also mix tea grinds as well) need to be dried as well. Then starting in the spring, I have plenty of material... I just mix in handfuls of what I have, then sprinkle in the garden and the lawn. The lawn doesn't like it as much, but this usually gives me some pretty nice tomatoes and lots of raspberries.

One thing about the tea and coffee grinds... when you're drying them out, you have to spread them out and I would recommend setting out a fruit fly trap nearby. Doesn't happen often, but occasionally you get large numbers of fruit flies.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what would occur if you didn’t rinse the egg shells?
my spouse won’t let me try putting any compost into our garden area so I’m loving this thread while having limits of what I can do.
What are you growing in your garden? Coffee grounds might not benefit everything.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by corky
What are you growing in your garden? Coffee grounds might not benefit everything.
good point. Only real thing is a Meyer lemon tree. Nothing else has had success except different plants. We tried Apple trees. I still think about scallions and onions. Ooh maybe today I’ll sweep up the leaves.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:29 pm

good point. Only real thing is a Meyer lemon tree. Nothing else has had success except different plants. We tried Apple trees. I still think about scallions and onions. Ooh maybe today I’ll sweep up the leaves.
Scallions don't need a lot of space. If you have a reasonably good condition topsoil, you're good to go. Just stick the white end in and prune as you eat. I use an old recycling tub and snip 2-3 stalks a week to add to whatever I'm cooking.

Bitter melon seems to take the mix pretty well. Although I've only done it one season. Might have to try some other veges.

(I'm having an easy day today... not usually online this much)
corky and CoffeeTraveler like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well a Meyer lemon tree is a wonderful thing to have. I mooch lemons (Meyer and Eureka) from friends & luckily they have plenty to share. I love them.
There are lots of veggies that are very easy to grow if you use them a lot. Herbs are pretty easy too.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
the tomatoes and raspberries seem to like the mixture a lot as the plants grow back bigger every year.
They do like an acidic soil.

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’ve never directly washed my hair with them but caffeine is purported to make hair grow thicker/stronger
Must be the robusta variety. As the old saying goes, "puts hairs on your chest" (or chest on your hairs).

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 2, 2021 at 9:56 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Darren
My wife washes her hair with them and uses them as an exfoliant. I put them in my roses. For those who put them down the drain, your plumber thanks you.
So, does your plumber thank you? When your wife washes her hair, they don't dissolve, do they?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
They do like an acidic soil.
They do (tomatoes) but I never expect the plants to survive the winter and to grow back bigger every year. I'm not complaining as it's free ingredients. But it's something interesting to see.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
They do (tomatoes) but I never expect the plants to survive the winter and to grow back bigger every year. I'm not complaining as it's free ingredients. But it's something interesting to see.
Must have indeterminate tomatoes. Surely not outside? Post a photo. If you have found a perennial cultivar of tmato, you cold make a fortune.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if she is washing her hair with them, aren't they going down the drain when they get rinsed out? Your plumber thanks you too!
The other stuff your plumber, or at least the power drain snake business thanks you for is rice, pasta, tea, (saturated) fats and anything else that swells in water and is sticky.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 8, 2021 at 9:48 am Reason: adding a drain-clogging ingredient
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t have a big garden, it’s lovely, but very shady with only a few sunny patches.
I sowed seeds at the end of January and the seedlings are in a rigged waterproof “nursery drawer” which is temporarily attached to the inside of my bedroom window. The tomatoes will go in the sunny spots. Am also growing (trying to germinate currently) green shiso/perilla seeds which are en expensive herb but are generous providers over the summer for a range of foods. These will go in the 50% sun, 50% shade areas where they thrive. This year, I’ve already sown “in situ” wild garlic seeds, a leafy, highly aromatic plant where you eat the stems and leaves rather than the bulbs. These should do well somewhere shady as they tend to grow in forests. Apparently they do well in acidic soils.

And that’s where this thread has come in useful! Hadn’t considered coffee grounds for the wild garlic, so that’ll what I’ll be doing. Also, I knew about crushed egg shells (and finely chopped human hair - keratin) for tomatoes but hadn’t come across advice for coffee for these plants either. Thanks to all who suggested it!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Must have indeterminate tomatoes. Surely not outside? Post a photo. If you have found a perennial cultivar of tmato, you cold make a fortune.
In the front, I know of cherry and heirloom tomatoes... At one point I remember planting beefsteak as well, but I don't think they came back. If they come back again this year, I'll take a photo.

Now I'm curious... I should start planning in case they don't come back...
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
The ground goes in my garden (spread thin) and the filter goes into the compost. The soil in my area is highly alkaline. The acid in coffee ground is good for it. Also, coffee ground supposed to repel snails. Haven't have snails in my garden for a few years. Not sure if its because of coffee ground or because general reductions in bug/inset populations. The garden seems to like it.
Our grounds go in the worm composter in SoCal, and in PDX they either go out with the compost pickup, into a compost bin we keep, or straight into the garden to repel slugs. Slugs (and snails, presumably) are repelled by the caffeine - cheap coffee from robusta beans tastes worse but is probably a better snail repellent.
LapLap and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:56 pm

That's a new one...she washes her hair with coffee grounds?? What is that supposed to do? And if she is washing her hair with them, aren't they going down the drain when they get rinsed out? Your plumber thanks you too!
She uses a basin to catch them, so no plumbers. I don't know the purpose, to be honest. I learned not to ask.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I used to dump the grounds down the drain, I use a reusable gold filter. I also used to put egg shells down the drain and run the garbage disposal.

A costly plumbing visit has cured me of that habit. Apparently, the coffee grounds and any oil/grease and egg shells combine together to form the hardest substance known to man (sarcasm). Seriously, it was like cement in my outgoing pipe. It was quite a mess.

Now I tap out the grounds in the trash to get most of it, throw the eggs shells out too, and try to avoid putting a lot of grease down the drain as well.
boxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.