FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   What to do with coffee grounds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/2035005-what-do-coffee-grounds.html)

kipper Mar 1, 2021 7:11 am

What to do with coffee grounds

I always just throw out my coffee grounds, in the filter. They go straight into the garbage can. recently, I found out that someone I know places them in a ziploc bag, zips it, and then places that in the garbage. Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink, rinses the filter, and then places the filter in the garbage can.

I've been tempted to save them when I'm planting things, but I usually just pick up a bag or two at Starbucks and use those.

What do you do with coffee grounds?

FlyerEC Mar 1, 2021 7:18 am

With Nespresso , we return the capsules to them .

The rest ( meaning not Nespresso ) is fertiliser , supposed to be , for our plants .

LapLap Mar 1, 2021 7:31 am

Compost. The gardens at the back of my house all link up and there are compost heaps I can add the used coffee to (my husband uses a V60 filter and I use the little Aeropress discs - which turns coffe grounds into a super convenient puck). Otherwise there is a weekly collection of household organic garbage by our local council, which is where the stock bones go.

YVR Cockroach Mar 1, 2021 8:47 am

Good thing I have lots of garden - a lot of it in natural, semi-forested state, o dump the grounds the Miele coffee machine produces, as well as copious amounts of tea leaves from our daily afternoon tea (4 tsp = 1/4 - 1/3 cup of leaves).

Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink
That is said to be an excellent way to clog up your drain pipes.

work2fly Mar 1, 2021 9:24 am

We have a superautomatic, and the grounds go down the drain daily as we rinse the removable parts from the coffee maker. Lots of water (from cleaning the machine) and I usually run the disposer for several seconds.

pseudoswede Mar 1, 2021 9:26 am

I was also told not to dump coffee grounds into the sink. When the weather is nice, we dump it in random places in our garden. Otherwise, it just goes into the trash. (We use a re-useable gold filter for our coffeemaker.)

kipper Mar 1, 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 33069529)
Good thing I have lots of garden - a lot of it in natural, semi-forested state, o dump the grounds the Miele coffee machine produces, as well as copious amounts of tea leaves from our daily afternoon tea (4 tsp = 1/4 - 1/3 cup of leaves).

That is said to be an excellent way to clog up your rain pipes.

I didn't think it was a good idea, but it's not my house, so I'm not about to interject my thoughts there.

JBord Mar 1, 2021 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 33069299)
I always just throw out my coffee grounds, in the filter. They go straight into the garbage can. recently, I found out that someone I know places them in a ziploc bag, zips it, and then places that in the garbage. Someone else dumps the grounds down the sink, rinses the filter, and then places the filter in the garbage can.

I've been tempted to save them when I'm planting things, but I usually just pick up a bag or two at Starbucks and use those.

What do you do with coffee grounds?

Exactly the same as you do. If there are any pesky grounds stuck to the filter after dumping in the garbage, I'll rinse those few in the sink with a lot of water.
I'm curious, were you able to find out the reason for the ziploc bag method?

kipper Mar 1, 2021 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 33069718)
Exactly the same as you do. If there are any pesky grounds stuck to the filter after dumping in the garbage, I'll rinse those few in the sink with a lot of water.
I'm curious, were you able to find out the reason for the ziploc bag method?

The reasoning for the ziploc bag method is so that moisture from the grounds doesn't get into the garbage and potentially leak.

gaobest Mar 1, 2021 10:44 am

Compost but in a compost bag for the Recology collectors to fetch when they get the green - blue - black bins. Grounds and coffee filter (no K cup)

maybe one day I’ll figure out how to just do our own garden compost :-)

lhrsfo Mar 1, 2021 11:02 am

I put them down the waste disposer, not having a garden. The Ziploc bag thing sounds like an environmental disaster if everyone did it.

kipper Mar 1, 2021 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 33069841)
I put them down the waste disposer, not having a garden. The Ziploc bag thing sounds like an environmental disaster if everyone did it.

I would agree that it's an environmental disaster, but apparently, she doesn't care.

Kgmm77 Mar 1, 2021 11:30 am

I compost them, but now we’re both working from home we’re going through a kilo every 10 days, my wife is worried it’s unbalancing the compost. So we’re putting some directly into the flower beds in the garden.

JBord Mar 1, 2021 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 33069841)

Basically putting a small plastic bag of garbage inside a big plastic bag of garbage! The neighbor may have a hundred little ziplocs in every trash bag if she does that with everything that's a little wet. Now, maybe she accumulates it all in the same ziploc every week and throws it out once per week. Obviously, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this :).

gfunkdave Mar 1, 2021 3:14 pm

I just dump them and the paper filter in the trash. They will degrade in the landfill most likely. My mom used to compost hers but stopped composting when she opened the container in her kitchen to add something and discovered maggots.

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 33069727)
The reasoning for the ziploc bag method is so that moisture from the grounds doesn't get into the garbage and potentially leak.

Sounds like a great way to create more waste. If one's garbage bags are leaking, then either buy better bags that don't tear or be more careful about throwing away sharp, pointy things.