Reload this Page >

The Crapppy Drugstore Chocolates Thread

Old Feb 12, 21, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

So much talk about the fancy stuff here (or at least the fancy priced stuff, even if the box contents aren't so delicious). But it does not appear that there is a thread dedicated to the crap, or at least "crap for some, gor-may for others."

I was recently rather surprised to learn that both Whitman's and Russel Stover were Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG companies. While Lindt generally puts out a quality product in its own name at "accessible" pricing, I didn't expect that Lindt would put out such inferior products for the "Walgreen's it is V.D. and I forgot to get a gift" market. But since it has been decades since I've put a piece of either of these brown things in my mouth, I wonder if there hasn't been some quality improvement since Lindt took ownership.

Consider this the FT confessional - have you had any Stover or Whitman's in recent years? Did you enjoy them?

As for the other "drugstore chocolates," I find most of them not very enjoyable anymore. Exceptions would be the Lindt or Ghiradelli products. Despite a childhood of gobbling them up, I rarely find much enjoyment with a run of the mill Hershey's or Nestle bar product. I don't know if this is related to the move from cocoa butter to oil in the product, developing esnobismo in the taste buds, or whatever, but having this crap by the checkout counter isn't even tempting anymore. (cf. stuff by the TJ's checkout line)

What's your guilty crappy chocolate-ish pleasure? Or is your pleasure not to eat any of it?
Old Feb 12, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Reese's peanut butter cups, Almond joy, Caramel M&Ms.
I don't mind the occasional Stover et al depending mostly on what filling and if it's not dark chocolate.
Ghiradelli is good, and I think See's is awful.
Old Feb 12, 21, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Cadbury Dairy Milk. Yum!
corky likes this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We have stopped at Russell Stover company stores by the interstate to purchase last minute gifts. No one has complained. I rarely touch chocolate or other candy myself. So I don’t suppose I would be much of a judge.

But let’s talk about the bottom of the barrel: Palmer. I don’t know who makes this stuff. It appears in drug store and grocery store seasonal aisles before Easter, Christmas and other sugar consuming holidays. The ratio of actual chocolate to chemicals appears incredibly low. Look at the color of the stuff! Apparently intended for children who would otherwise be consuming Tide pods or stealing Milk Bones from the family pet, I have never bought it for my children or grandchildren. But somehow it has slipped into the house on occasion, only to find its way into the garbage can via the shortest route. Heed my advice - No one who loves you gives this to you.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
anyone ever try world's finest chocolate? My uncle used to sell it in the 1980's to schools. I remember the big bars!
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
anyone ever try world's finest chocolate? My uncle used to sell it in the 1980's to schools. I remember the big bars!
It appears they just sell their candy bars for school fundraising. They have assortment packs on Amazon.
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I do like See's Dark Chocolate Molasses Chips
https://www.sees.com/dark-chocolate/...ps/200391.html
Eastbay1K and boxo like this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I’ve bought the bars from coworkers as a result of peer pressure. I don’t think even my kids were impressed.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
So much talk about the fancy stuff here (or at least the fancy priced stuff, even if the box contents aren't so delicious). But it does not appear that there is a thread dedicated to the crap, or at least "crap for some, gor-may for others."

I was recently rather surprised to learn that both Whitman's and Russel Stover were Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG companies. While Lindt generally puts out a quality product in its own name at "accessible" pricing, I didn't expect that Lindt would put out such inferior products for the "Walgreen's it is V.D. and I forgot to get a gift" market. But since it has been decades since I've put a piece of either of these brown things in my mouth, I wonder if there hasn't been some quality improvement since Lindt took ownership.

Consider this the FT confessional - have you had any Stover or Whitman's in recent years? Did you enjoy them?

As for the other "drugstore chocolates," I find most of them not very enjoyable anymore. Exceptions would be the Lindt or Ghiradelli products. Despite a childhood of gobbling them up, I rarely find much enjoyment with a run of the mill Hershey's or Nestle bar product. I don't know if this is related to the move from cocoa butter to oil in the product, developing esnobismo in the taste buds, or whatever, but having this crap by the checkout counter isn't even tempting anymore. (cf. stuff by the TJ's checkout line)

What's your guilty crappy chocolate-ish pleasure? Or is your pleasure not to eat any of it?
Trader Joe chocolate is very good. I have a half a dark chocolate bar every morning. It is made in Belgium and supposedly made by Callebaut.
FlyerEC and NBwoodstock like this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is sweetened dark brown fat in the USA that’s worse than Hershey’s?

When I was a little girl and wanted candy but couldn’t afford it, I spurned the fake chocolate and headed for any shop selling jelly/jello cubes.
Old Feb 12, 21, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I do like See's Dark Chocolate Molasses Chips
https://www.sees.com/dark-chocolate/...ps/200391.html
I’d never classify See’s as crappy drugstore chocolate.
Old Feb 12, 21, 5:07 pm
Community Director

It's been decades since I've had it, but I always loved Russell Stover coconut ting-a-lings.

Conversely, I've always hated Brachs chocolate covered cherries. My father would buy 2 boxes for Valentine's Day, one for my mother and one for me. It was such a loving gesture that even as a little girl I knew to be grateful for it.
Old Feb 12, 21, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Drug store and chocolate don’t belong in the same world. If you’re looking for good chocolates try Vosges. B concourse near B6 in ORD.
Old Feb 12, 21, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
There is sweetened dark brown fat in the USA that’s worse than Hershey’s?

When I was a little girl and wanted candy but couldn’t afford it, I spurned the fake chocolate and headed for any shop selling jelly/jello cubes.
I've once had it explained to me that it's something to do with the oils ? or something ? that they use for 'milk chocolate' in the US. Milk chocolate elsewhere is not my preference, but it is revolting in the US. 'Burning' seems to be a common descriptor for the flavour.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
It's been decades since I've had it, but I always loved Russell Stover coconut ting-a-lings.

Conversely, I've always hated Brachs chocolate covered cherries. My father would buy 2 boxes for Valentine's Day, one for my mother and one for me. It was such a loving gesture that even as a little girl I knew to be grateful for it.
I couldn't help but wonder if this thread related to Valentine's Day!
Old Feb 12, 21, 8:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I’d never classify See’s as crappy drugstore chocolate.
I have a friend who loves See's and and has given it to me as a gift. I don't think it is that much better than Whitman or Russel Stover.
braslvr likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: