FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Crapppy Drugstore Chocolates Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:50 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The Crapppy Drugstore Chocolates Thread

So much talk about the fancy stuff here (or at least the fancy priced stuff, even if the box contents aren't so delicious). But it does not appear that there is a thread dedicated to the crap, or at least "crap for some, gor-may for others."

I was recently rather surprised to learn that both Whitman's and Russel Stover were Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG companies. While Lindt generally puts out a quality product in its own name at "accessible" pricing, I didn't expect that Lindt would put out such inferior products for the "Walgreen's it is V.D. and I forgot to get a gift" market. But since it has been decades since I've put a piece of either of these brown things in my mouth, I wonder if there hasn't been some quality improvement since Lindt took ownership.

Consider this the FT confessional - have you had any Stover or Whitman's in recent years? Did you enjoy them?

As for the other "drugstore chocolates," I find most of them not very enjoyable anymore. Exceptions would be the Lindt or Ghiradelli products. Despite a childhood of gobbling them up, I rarely find much enjoyment with a run of the mill Hershey's or Nestle bar product. I don't know if this is related to the move from cocoa butter to oil in the product, developing esnobismo in the taste buds, or whatever, but having this crap by the checkout counter isn't even tempting anymore. (cf. stuff by the TJ's checkout line)

What's your guilty crappy chocolate-ish pleasure? Or is your pleasure not to eat any of it?