Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a break from alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Almost halfway through! We were both off work last week and it felt tough because we were in vacation mode, but honestly, it's been worse since being back at work! But we're hanging in here and tough/worse is all relative. I'm bummed I haven't lost more weight but Mr. CE has dropped about 10 pounds

I'm still pushing to have booze next Wednesday.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Almost halfway through! We were both off work last week and it felt tough because we were in vacation mode, but honestly, it's been worse since being back at work! But we're hanging in here and tough/worse is all relative. I'm bummed I haven't lost more weight but Mr. CE has dropped about 10 pounds

I'm still pushing to have booze next Wednesday.
I have been dry-ish (only had a couple beers over the weekend at street concert) this month but I have been saving a bottle of Taittinger to celebrate the inauguration on Wednesday We deserve it after all what we have all been through.
braslvr, FLYMSY and LapLap like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I say that people should enjoy themselves, with or without their preferred vices. :-)
I don’t know when I last had alcohol outside cooking wine. Not sure when I last had gummies. I’ll probably have a bowl of cereal.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Looks like I will break the January-free alcohol thing... will probably have a couple of beers tonight.
Do it! You have my full virtual support! Alcohol has never failed me!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Do it! You have my full virtual support! Alcohol has never failed me!
ditto! I like your encouragement :-)
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I’m wrapping up day 6 of a planned 33 without alcohol. It’s been a lot of kombucha and Perrier.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am marinating some beautiful lamb chops to grill later. I am really tempted to hop off the wagon---not because I am craving booze (I am not) but because I know that a Pinot Noir would go so nicely with them. I already planned to make an exception for the 20th because I have reason to celebrate but so technically it is dry-ish January. Hmmm...should I or shouldn't I?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
I am marinating some beautiful lamb chops to grill later. I am really tempted to hop off the wagon---not because I am craving booze (I am not) but because I know that a Pinot Noir would go so nicely with them. I already planned to make an exception for the 20th because I have reason to celebrate but so technically it is dry-ish January. Hmmm...should I or shouldn't I?
You answer to no one but you. So, I say go for it.

My abstinence is part of a whole 30. You break a rule, you start over again. So, if I break a rule, I assume it wasn’t meant to be and that’s usually the end.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
You answer to no one but you. So, I say go for it.

My abstinence is part of a whole 30. You break a rule, you start over again. So, if I break a rule, I assume it wasn’t meant to be and that’s usually the end.
Yes, only to me but I don't want to feel like a loser to me.
What do you mean if you break a rule you start over? What other rules?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I'm mostly a non-drinker to begin with, but I realized with COVID that I've gone from drinking a little maybe a couple times a quarter to coming up on a full year since I've had any a full drink - the only alcohol I've had since last March has literally been a couple of instances where I've taken a small sip to see if port or wine for cooking was still good.
Can't say I miss the alcohol per se. Definitely miss the occasions (international flights, nice dinners out, the once a year trip to a baseball game) that go with it, I hope I have any minimal tolerance for it left when life gets back to normal.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Halfway there and I really don't miss it. There have been a few times where I moaned to Mr Gfunk that I really wanted a cocktail, but I'm surprised at myself how easy it's been. I'll have to cut out the booze more often going forward. Maybe one week a month dry.

I bought a bottle of kombucha at Whole Foods when I was there earlier in the week and it wasn't as vile as I remembered, but neither was it what I'd call good. I'll just stick to fizzy water. I like the idea of limeade/lemonade and fizzy water.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Yes, only to me but I don't want to feel like a loser to me.
What do you mean if you break a rule you start over? What other rules?
Whole30 rules: no alcohol, no grains, no dairy, no added sugar. Also no legumes (so no soy, no peanuts, no unshelled beans of any kind). It lasts for 30 days and at the end, you have achieved enlightenment. Okay, no enlightenment, but supposedly reduces inflammation and I always lose 10 pounds and feel better.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

I bought a bottle of kombucha at Whole Foods when I was there earlier in the week and it wasn't as vile as I remembered, but neither was it what I'd call good. I'll just stick to fizzy water. I like the idea of limeade/lemonade and fizzy water.
Some are far worse than others. I avoid any that are green in color. My preference is something fruit punchy and red. I recommend Synergy brand as they avoid added sugar and *most* seem to have a more mainstream flavor.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day 16. The temperature hit 80 this afternoon and I really would have enjoyed a beer. Wisely, I removed them all from the fridge at the start.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Day 16. The temperature hit 80 this afternoon and I really would have enjoyed a beer. Wisely, I removed them all from the fridge had drunken them all before at the start.
Reads better now.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.