Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a break from alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Here's a few suggestions from me...

Almdudler (Austria's National Drink) available at World Market Almdudler

Several of the beverages at IKEA are also great. I usually pick up a few cans of the ciders (both pear and apple) but the concentrates are good as well. IKEA Beverages

I also like the Ito En bottled teas. I don't like sweet tea and these are all unsweetened. You can find them in Whole Foods. I get excited when I can find the 2L bottles. Ito En

Generally, I'm drinking either San Pellegrino or Poland Spring sparkling waters. Plain old water just doesn't do it for me.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have decided to have a dry January. Usually I have 1-2 glasses of wine most nights. On the plus side, I've noticed I've been sleeping better and my digestive system seems to be happier.

But I really miss my wine. What are some nonalcoholic drinks you like to have? I always have a water bottle with me, and I've been drinking lots of sparkling grapefruit-flavored water (the "flavor adjacent" kind like La Croix). I just read an article in 1843 about the advent of low/no alcohol cocktails. Ordinarily I'd laugh and make a martini or a negroni but it doesn't sound bad now...
A friend of mine was in a similar situation to yours and this is what she came up with for her nonalcoholic cocktail. Simply Limeade, sparkling water/club soda & a wedge of lime. She invited us over one afternoon and served us this drink on her porch. I really enjoyed it enough to go buy the Simply Limeade and make it when we want a change.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:50 am

The tast of non alcoholic beer changes quite a bit between brands, you could try several and see what you like.
Otherwise you could try to make your own water kefir
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/le...questions-faq/
I think it's a bit less involved than making kombucha and you can try different fruits/juices in the secondary fermentation; it's quite fun actually!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
this is a very good brand, a little goes a long way with the elderflower variety and they have other lovely flavours too
https://www.belvoirfruitfarms.com/where-to-buy/
!
See the post directly before yours.

Btw, it defeats the theme of this thread but the elderflower stuff is very good mixed with proseco. I am going to try it with vodka too.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
See the post directly before yours.

Btw, it defeats the theme of this thread but the elderflower stuff is very good mixed with proseco. I am going to try it with vodka too.
Sorry!
I was looking to see if my preferred brand “Bottle Green” was available in the USA and only when searching realised that the other commonly found British brand (Belvoir farms) had made it there. Then there was the hunt to find a US link, could have saved some bother if I’d clocked on to you already having done so!
Since I’m on a mission to make palatable kombucha this year (probably starting with coffee) I must have leant back from your post describing it as tasting like swamp water (which is what I’d always assumed it would be like if I got it from a shelf).

If you haven’t already, do try it with apple juice/apple cider - a match made in heaven!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Sorry!
I was looking to see if my preferred brand “Bottle Green” was available in the USA and only when searching realised that the other commonly found British brand (Belvoir farms) had made it there. Then there was the hunt to find a US link, could have saved some bother if I’d clocked on to you already having done so!
Since I’m on a mission to make palatable kombucha this year (probably starting with coffee) I must have leant back from your post describing it as tasting like swamp water (which is what I’d always assumed it would be like if I got it from a shelf).

If you haven’t already, do try it with apple juice/apple cider - a match made in heaven!
I assume that you are referring to the elderflower stuff and not the kombucha (aka swamp water).
Btw...for those not trying to sober up, the alcoholic version of elderflower is https://mtmb.stgermain.fr/ and it is wonderful but pricey. I was just looking in my pantry & found something that I forgot I had & solves the sugar problem. I can't remember what if it is any good but I think I got it at Marshall's. https://www.skinnymixes.com/collecti...erflower-syrup
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
I was just looking in my pantry & found something that I forgot I had & solves the sugar problem. I can't remember what if it is any good but I think I got it at Marshall's. https://www.skinnymixes.com/collecti...erflower-syrup
There’s a French option sold in the U.K. that solves the same sugar problem: Teisseire Fleur De Sureau Le 0%. Definitely one of the more successful no cal syrups
https://www.teisseire.com/en-gb/uk/o...0/elderflower/
corky likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
HI, I’m in mid twenties from Czech Republic where beer is like water in another countries. German would excuse but those are amateurs when drinking beer.

Ive got same issue..or is it, really? Sometimes I have dry day but mostly not, it’s a beer or three, in summer I don’t go under 5. Because this is normal. When biking 80 km a day, those 5 or 8 are going missing.

in winter it’s tough. I’m lazy and don’t exercise that much in these months. And I am champagne addict but thankfully to its price is just one bottle a week if no special occasion.

When travel I drink a lot. I have extra time in lounges or longer layovers to try out some nice lounges to enjoy glass or two and if the lounge sucks, also three or four.

my point? I excercise a lot so the calories go missing. But if you like it, you can’t stop it.

cheers
United747 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I’m drinking Leffe 0.0 and Guinness 0.0 for beers. The German 0% Weisse beers are also good. For soft drinks I’m going for flavoured slimline tonic mainly as it’s virtually calorie free and the flavours aren’t too intense.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Admittedly, during covid, I have unintentionally replaced alcohol with THC... for me, the effects are very similar but I don't have a hangover the next day.
747jetter likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Admittedly, during covid, I have unintentionally replaced alcohol with THC... for me, the effects are very similar but I don't have a hangover the next day.
big fun. I’ve sort of done similar but even pre pandemic that was Tuesday for me. Or any day ending in “y”
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gaobest
big fun. I’ve sort of done similar but even pre pandemic that was Tuesday for me. Or any day ending in “y”
For some reason I'm not really drawn to it per se... I mean yeah it's nice and fun... I don't get that stoned feeling though which is what I'm trying to get.
But, for me, nothing beats a nice Scotch and burger.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
10 boozeless cocktail recipes
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:48 pm

Decent coffee would be my first one. After that I tend to go with some kind of sparkling beverage (mostly simply sparkling water but sometimes coke zero) and then make it more interest with bitters and citrus (lemon, lime, orange). You can kind of play around with some combinations to find new tastes that aren't completely boring. The other one I don't mind in the evening is ginger tea, especially a korean brand which has real ginger in it which sadly i've only been able to source in Korea and I've just run out. This thread does have me thinking that maybe I should start trying some different aromatic bitters in some other teas, might be interesting and might be a complete disaster.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMOA
Decent coffee would be my first one. After that I tend to go with some kind of sparkling beverage (mostly simply sparkling water but sometimes coke zero) and then make it more interest with bitters and citrus (lemon, lime, orange). You can kind of play around with some combinations to find new tastes that aren't completely boring. The other one I don't mind in the evening is ginger tea, especially a korean brand which has real ginger in it which sadly i've only been able to source in Korea and I've just run out. This thread does have me thinking that maybe I should start trying some different aromatic bitters in some other teas, might be interesting and might be a complete disaster.
Have you tried cold brewing tea in sparkling water?
Say for instance you like jasmine tea, or Earl Grey bergamot, perhaps a smoky Lapsang Souchong; take a teaspoon or two of the leaves and drop them into a bottle of Perrier (or similar) the night before, put the top on and CAREFULLY invert the bottle to let the leaves swirl and then just allow to steep in the fridge. Next day, pour enough water for a glass through a tea strainer and you have a delightful new drink. Easy to do and endless flavours to eek out and explore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.