Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a break from alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Perhaps a good reason to abstain, at least temporarily and frequently. My wife's first friend passed away after 3 separate and unrelated bouts of breast cancer (another form, or two concurrently, is what ultimately killed her). Family history of BRCA-1 which doesn't cause cancer but makes you more susceptible if the gene that prevents mutations goes faulty (those with BRCA1 and/r BRCA-2 already have one faulty gene so have only one good one to rely on, vs. those who don't have either gene and have 2 good copies).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Anyone else on the dry January train?

I don't always partake but this year my December felt a little overboard (felt like I was having a drink every night even if it was just 1-2 drinks) so decided a dry January was in order. As it turns out I got a jumpstart on things when I got really sick the last week of December (not COVID -- multiple negative tests) so we're going on 2 weeks.

The only bummer is that I had a couple of nice Outer Range IPAs left that I was planning to drink that last week of December that I will have to hope stay in okay shape through the end of the month
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Duke787
Anyone else on the dry January train?

I don't always partake but this year my December felt a little overboard (felt like I was having a drink every night even if it was just 1-2 drinks) so decided a dry January was in order. As it turns out I got a jumpstart on things when I got really sick the last week of December (not COVID -- multiple negative tests) so we're going on 2 weeks.

The only bummer is that I had a couple of nice Outer Range IPAs left that I was planning to drink that last week of December that I will have to hope stay in okay shape through the end of the month
I’m trying to do dry-ish January. I’m slated to take a business trip to France in a couple weeks and no way I’ll be able to go without having wine.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nkedel
Had my first glass of wine in ~18 months, very rare bit of outdoor dining with family. What little tolerance I had is gone; enjoyed about the first half, the rest just made me sleepy.
And give or take 6 months has passed, without opportunities where I wanted to drink alcohol - was planning on a single glass of wine at an anniversary dinner out in December, but Omicron was already enough on the horizon that we decided to stay in instead.

Last edited by nkedel; Jan 8, 2022 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United747
I’m trying to do dry-ish January. I’m slated to take a business trip to France in a couple weeks and no way I’ll be able to go without having wine.
Yeah understandable, I had a business trip scheduled for end of January that was going to potentially come into play but it got bumped for omicron
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was going to do dry January but last night I had two glasses of wine with dinner. I've decided dry-ish January is fine. Just trying to be more mindful about when I drink. I rarely drink more than two in an evening; but of late it's started to be more of a habit (it's 6:30, time for a cocktail!) rather than having something because I actually wanted it.
cblaisd, corky and Duke787 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Given some prior posts, I believe it would be a helpful reminder to post these:

Eleven signs you may be an alcoholic or have a drinking problem

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz
United747 likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 8, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Removed quote of and response to now-deleted posts]

Some people choose to go dry because they have a problem, others choose to go dry because they need just need a break and don’t want to form an unhealthy habit, others may want to be a little healthier in January (alcohol has a TON of calories that add up), others may have family members who have problems even if they don’t.

All valid reasons and certainly nothing where the response should be ridicule and pressure to give it up
cblaisd, corky, csufabel and 1 others like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 8, 2022 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thread archived.

New thread here: 2022 onwards - Supportive thread for those taking a break from alcohol

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.