Whole milk

Old Jun 9, 20, 8:47 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 12,438
Whole milk

For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? )
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 8:50 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,599
I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.
MHG, trooper and JBord like this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 9:31 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 10,078
I only drink oat milk with coffee but have organic 2% for our child.
gaobest is online now  
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,042
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.
I don't drink milk straight, ever. But for cooking or putting in coffee, whole milk is far superior in taste and consistency (or is the word I should use viscosity?). Skim/fat free milk, in particular, is vile. I'm not sure when whole milk, or even 2%, was vilified, but I've never understood it. Probably done by the same people who won't eat dark poultry meat because of "all the fat".
LondonElite and trooper like this.
JBord is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,812
I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? )
I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.
csufabel likes this.
JMorgana is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:59 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 10,078
Originally Posted by JMorgana View Post
I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.
with ice?
Iíll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
gaobest is online now  
Old Jun 9, 20, 11:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
with ice?
Iíll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.
No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse.
JMorgana is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:00 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 28,599
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.
Milk in tea, oh dear...
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 6:18 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 21,732
Ice in milk?? Ewww
lhrsfo and Mauibaby2008 like this.
corky is offline  
Old Jun 9, 20, 9:41 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 10,078
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Milk in tea, oh dear...
I think itís a uk thing

Originally Posted by corky View Post
Ice in milk?? Ewww
the ice adds a nicely extreme cold feature

Originally Posted by JMorgana View Post
No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse.
I used to have Licor Cuarenta y Tres with milk and ice; then switched to oat milk but now Iím out. I have Amaretto so use that with oat milk & ice
gaobest is online now  
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:17 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Freeload Univ. Where are you sitting?
Posts: 14,384
I never liked skim milk. I grew up on whole milk, but for some reason we switched to 2%. I like it fine - whole milk almost has the mouth feel of cream, so that's a treat whenever I have it.

When I was trying to lose weight, I thought about skim milk on my breakfast cereal. It turned out that, as long as it was ice cold, it was fine. Still a no-go for drinking though.
BigLar is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 2:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 5,516
As an adult, I rarely drink milk by the glass - maybe alongside a cookie or brownie, and I like a little dairy something with my coffee.

When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.
work2fly is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 2:37 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: PHX and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 77,022
I generally drink 2%, occasionally whole if there is some left over from something I've cooked, but blue skim is really unappetizing. Occasionally, I'll drink a pint of it (if I can't see it) with a pastry bought on the fly.
ILuvParis is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:15 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 10,078
Originally Posted by work2fly View Post
When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.
Could you have both 2% and whole?

we have 2%, fairlife chocolate, fairlife white, Chobani oat, and a backup Silk oat (on sale!). Iím thinking of getting Whole now for the roll-ppang buns.
gaobest is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: