Wiki Posts
Search

Whole milk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whole milk

For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? )
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.
JBord, trooper and MHG like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I only drink oat milk with coffee but have organic 2% for our child.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.
I don't drink milk straight, ever. But for cooking or putting in coffee, whole milk is far superior in taste and consistency (or is the word I should use viscosity?). Skim/fat free milk, in particular, is vile. I'm not sure when whole milk, or even 2%, was vilified, but I've never understood it. Probably done by the same people who won't eat dark poultry meat because of "all the fat".
LondonElite and trooper like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? )
I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.
csufabel likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMorgana
I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.
with ice?
I’ll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
with ice?
I’ll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.
No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.
Milk in tea, oh dear...
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ice in milk?? Ewww
lhrsfo and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Milk in tea, oh dear...
I think it’s a uk thing

Originally Posted by corky
Ice in milk?? Ewww
the ice adds a nicely extreme cold feature

Originally Posted by JMorgana
No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse.
I used to have Licor Cuarenta y Tres with milk and ice; then switched to oat milk but now I’m out. I have Amaretto so use that with oat milk & ice
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never liked skim milk. I grew up on whole milk, but for some reason we switched to 2%. I like it fine - whole milk almost has the mouth feel of cream, so that's a treat whenever I have it.

When I was trying to lose weight, I thought about skim milk on my breakfast cereal. It turned out that, as long as it was ice cold, it was fine. Still a no-go for drinking though.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
As an adult, I rarely drink milk by the glass - maybe alongside a cookie or brownie, and I like a little dairy something with my coffee.

When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I generally drink 2%, occasionally whole if there is some left over from something I've cooked, but blue skim is really unappetizing. Occasionally, I'll drink a pint of it (if I can't see it) with a pastry bought on the fly.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.
Could you have both 2% and whole?

we have 2%, fairlife chocolate, fairlife white, Chobani oat, and a backup Silk oat (on sale!). I’m thinking of getting Whole now for the roll-ppang buns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.