FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Whole milk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/2019311-whole-milk.html)

gfunkdave Jun 9, 2020 7:47 am

Whole milk

For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? :D)

LondonElite Jun 9, 2020 7:50 am

I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.

gaobest Jun 9, 2020 8:31 am

I only drink oat milk with coffee but have organic 2% for our child.

JBord Jun 9, 2020 9:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32442161)
I go with organic 3.8% whole milk. Delicious. The watery stuff just isn't nice.

I don't drink milk straight, ever. But for cooking or putting in coffee, whole milk is far superior in taste and consistency (or is the word I should use viscosity?). Skim/fat free milk, in particular, is vile. I'm not sure when whole milk, or even 2%, was vilified, but I've never understood it. Probably done by the same people who won't eat dark poultry meat because of "all the fat". :rolleyes:

lhrsfo Jun 9, 2020 9:10 am

I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.

JMorgana Jun 9, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 32442145)
For some reason our grocery store has only been carrying whole milk from the local dairy whose milk I usually buy. I bought a half gallon last time and have been putting it in my cereal and coffee. It's soooo good. Usually I buy 2% or oat milk (how do you milk an oat? :D)

I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.

gaobest Jun 9, 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JMorgana (Post 32442440)
I was raised on skim milk and to me, whole milk just tastes too heavy. Definitely a noticeable flavor difference, so I'd probably cook with whole or 2%, but I always drink skim.

with ice?
I’ll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.

JMorgana Jun 9, 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 32442465)
with ice?
I’ll even enjoy any white milk with ice.

I use 2% for baking and maybe I should get some whole milk for baking.

No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse. :D

LondonElite Jun 9, 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 32442363)
I always have whole milk. Normally it's just in tea where perhaps it is not so vital but occasionally I eat cereal or porridge and the watery stuff is disgusting in those.

Milk in tea, oh dear...;)

corky Jun 9, 2020 5:18 pm

Ice in milk?? Ewww

gaobest Jun 9, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32443160)
Milk in tea, oh dear...;)

I think it’s a uk thing

Originally Posted by corky (Post 32443507)
Ice in milk?? Ewww

the ice adds a nicely extreme cold feature

Originally Posted by JMorgana (Post 32442620)
No ice unless it's mixed with something. I'm OK with the consistency but I have no desire to make it worse. :D

I used to have Licor Cuarenta y Tres with milk and ice; then switched to oat milk but now I’m out. I have Amaretto so use that with oat milk & ice

BigLar Jun 9, 2020 9:17 pm

I never liked skim milk. I grew up on whole milk, but for some reason we switched to 2%. I like it fine - whole milk almost has the mouth feel of cream, so that's a treat whenever I have it.

When I was trying to lose weight, I thought about skim milk on my breakfast cereal. It turned out that, as long as it was ice cold, it was fine. Still a no-go for drinking though.

work2fly Jun 10, 2020 1:21 pm

As an adult, I rarely drink milk by the glass - maybe alongside a cookie or brownie, and I like a little dairy something with my coffee.

When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.

ILuvParis Jun 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I generally drink 2%, occasionally whole if there is some left over from something I've cooked, but blue skim is really unappetizing. Occasionally, I'll drink a pint of it (if I can't see it) with a pastry bought on the fly.

gaobest Jun 10, 2020 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 32445715)
When we had kids, we started them on whole milk but after a few years our pediatrician told us to switch to no more than 2% fat. Given how much milk they drink, I get it, but selfishly wish we were still using whole, as I think it's far superior for the few ways I use it.

Could you have both 2% and whole?

we have 2%, fairlife chocolate, fairlife white, Chobani oat, and a backup Silk oat (on sale!). I’m thinking of getting Whole now for the roll-ppang buns.