Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole milk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mr Gfunk refuses to drink milk ("It's juice from a cow. Why would I drink cow juice?") mostly because when he was a kid in Ireland the non-homogenized milk grossed him out.

There is a local farm here that sells raw (unpasteurized) milk at a couple of the local natural grocery stores. I tried it out of curiosity once and thought it tasted good but not good enough to risk salmonella or listeria or whatever could be in it...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:16 pm

I would expect non-homogenized milk to be pasteurized. Raw milk not, of course. Milk stopped tasting good to me when it became more uniformly homogenized at, what, 3.5%? That means skimming cream from milk that was naturally higher in fat content.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Only 1% for us. Easy to get used to and much healthier than whole.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Only 1% for us. Easy to get used to and much healthier than whole.
Much healthier than whole is debatable. Recent research suggests otherwise.
JBord likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Have any of you seen Gold Top.

Its milk but 5% fat and almost yellow. I use it to make rice pudding even creamier.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer

Its milk but 5% fat and almost yellow. I use it to make rice pudding even creamier.
The "almost yellow" part is a bit off-putting. Even 36%+ heavy cream is still very white IMHO.

What makes it yellow? Aeration and oxidation?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I used to drink raw milk in the 70’s and never suffered any ill health. Kinda tasty, as I recall. Never enjoyed skim or 1% milk. These days only use milk for cereal. Had some UHT box milk last week, and it reminded me a bit of grody powdered milk I had as a kid.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by exerda
The "almost yellow" part is a bit off-putting. Even 36%+ heavy cream is still very white IMHO.

Beta-carotene from pasture raised/grass fed cows.
Milk from Guernsey cows is particularly high in carotene.
exerda likes this.

Last edited by Orchids; Aug 13, 2020 at 1:17 am
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by exerda

What Orchids said.

It really is the most delicious milk money can buy and typically comes from Jersey and Guernsey cows, it's not a commonly used milk because of the fat content.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer

Signifies milk from cow breeds that come from the Channel Island (or Îles anglo-normand to the French). In addition to Jersey and Guernsey cows, there is the Alderney breed. The cream is still yellow even if the cows aren't from anywhere near the islands. Bought some raw Jersey cow milk (mostly went into making a Halloumi cheese) where the cow is locate an ocean and continent away from Jersey and the cream was still rather yellow.

The cows aren't very popular with dairy producers because they're small (so produce less absolute volume per cow) and, I understand, less productive overall. The Holstein is the favorite dairy farmer's cow breed for those reasons.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Orchids
Beta-carotene from pasture raised/grass fed cows.
Not sure if it comes solely/primarily because of pasture-raised cows. If so, New Zealand dairy (lots of rain, mild climate = lots of grass for dairy cow pasture) or perhaps even California (substitute irrigation for rain) would have lots of Beta Carotene (or at least yellow-coloured fat). AFAIK, it doesn't. I think breed of cow is more important
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not sure if it comes solely/primarily because of pasture-raised cows. If so, New Zealand dairy (lots of rain, mild climate = lots of grass for dairy cow pasture) or perhaps even California (substitute irrigation for rain) would have lots of Beta Carotene (or at least yellow-coloured fat). AFAIK, it doesn't. I think breed of cow is more important

Response was in reference to Gold Top milk which comes from Jersey or Guernsey cows. I guess my edit wasn't clear enough. I tend to get wordy. So yes, breed matters.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:42 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by gaobest
I think it’s a uk thing
True.

Well, I´m German and I like my afternoon tea with milk ... - and certainly with whole milk only (3.8%)
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I briefly got into milk tea in China.

As for licor 43, that stuff is good with espresso; in Mexico, it's called a carajillo.
milk tea is delicious ! I wish it was more common in the states.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Important update from me, the OP: The 2% has been back in stock in the grocery stores for a month or two now, so I'm once again buying that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.