Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole milk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I grew up drinking whole milk. I’m not sure 2% had even been invented. I think skim milk was a thing in the 50’s but I never saw any in the fridge. About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. At that point, I stopped consuming all dairy products. I didn’t miss milk which I only used to moisten cereal anyway. Gradually, dairy and dairy-oids began to return to our home. We use whole almond milk on cereal. I wish it were whiter (can I say that?). It’s grey color is a little off putting. When the grandkids are here, there is Lactaid whole milk in the fridge. I taste and see the difference. But when they leave, the next bottle will be almond milk.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I grew up drinking whole milk. I’m not sure 2% had even been invented. I think skim milk was a thing in the 50’s but I never saw any in the fridge. About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. At that point, I stopped consuming all dairy products. I didn’t miss milk which I only used to moisten cereal anyway. Gradually, dairy and dairy-oids began to return to our home. We use whole almond milk on cereal. I wish it were whiter (can I say that?). It’s grey color is a little off putting. When the grandkids are here, there is Lactaid whole milk in the fridge. I taste and see the difference. But when they leave, the next bottle will be almond milk.
I'm also lactose intolerant, not that bad though, I can't drink milk but I can consume ice cream, butter etc. Almond milk is ok but I prefer Lactaid whole milk.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Fairlight brand milk is lactose free. I think A2 is also low on lactose but I’m not fully sure because I don’t use it.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't have to be lactose intolerant to drink lactaid. I used to buy it because I use milk so rarely...just cereal and it has a longer shelf life but i have no issues with lactose.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I thought drinking milk was only for children who need the calcium. But adults?? To me, that's just weird.
A glass of milk goes with cookies, pastries, pies (though ice cream is better), cake, etc.

I admit that I would generally have milk with those items in the morning... If consumed in the evening, it's whisky to go alongside the sweets.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Milk & ice with either amaretto or Cuarenta y Tres is really good.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by gaobest
Fairlight brand milk is lactose free. I think A2 is also low on lactose but I’m not fully sure because I don’t use it.
I think you mean Fairlife. I only know because I used to live across the street from their HQ in Chicago.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I think you mean Fairlife. I only know because I used to live across the street from their HQ in Chicago.
yes, I always confuse the name and Safeway stocks it so I know what to fetch :-)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
A glass of milk goes with cookies, pastries, pies (though ice cream is better), cake, etc.
I still think it's weird. With cookies, some people dunk but I'm not for that - just eat with tea or coffee.
Pastries, again tea or coffee. Alternatively clotted cream.
Pies should be single or double cream.
Cake should be moist enough to eat without anything extra, but accompany with tea or coffee.

I'm not getting milk anywhere in that.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I still think it's weird. With cookies, some people dunk but I'm not for that - just eat with tea or coffee.
Pastries, again tea or coffee. Alternatively clotted cream.
Pies should be single or double cream.
Cake should be moist enough to eat without anything extra, but accompany with tea or coffee.

I'm not getting milk anywhere in that.
It's all a matter of opinion, but with regard to pies, ice cream goes with most fruit pies with a double crust or streusel/crumb type topping (e.g., cherry, apple, blueberry etc.) Your single or double cream (whipped cream) goes with cream pies (chocolate, banana, coconut, pumpkin, etc.). The exception would be a cold fruit pie like strawberry, which also gets whipped cream. You now have the ultimate word on this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You now have the ultimate word on this.
Maybe the *ultimate* word, but not the last.
Ice cream goes with pecan pie, y'all.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:18 am

Growing up reading about how Archie Goodwin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie...in_(character)) drinks milk, I don't associate it as a children's drink. I enjoy a cool glass of milk with a meat or cheese sandwich.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Orchids
Maybe the *ultimate* word, but not the last.
Ice cream goes with pecan pie, y'all.
True. It does.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WCT3U
Growing up reading about how Archie Goodwin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie...in_(character)) drinks milk, I don't associate it as a children's drink. I enjoy a cool glass of milk with a meat or cheese sandwich.
The only time I have an actual glass of milk is with cookies or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:26 pm

If you have a chance to purchase non-homogenized milk, try it. The cream floats to the top and you can spoon it out or shake the container to distribute it more evenly. The taste is so much better. Fresh milk delivered in glass bottles was just so good~especially if you poured the first glass with the cream still on top. Meow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.