Wiki Posts
Search

Your 'go to’ Seafood Choice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by braslvr
Interesting observations....
I could not disagree more about North Atlantic fish being better than Pacific. Atlantic salmon in particular is almost inedible IMO. The only Atlantic fish I truly love is haddock, and frozen is perfectly fine, IF we are lucky enough to find it on the west coast.
Pacific or Alaskan halibut does indeed freeze well for even longer than 6 months.
Sole always looks wonderful and tempting at the fish counter, but is too soft and bland when cooked.
Nova Scotia salmon is pretty good IMO, but my point was that you get a lot more variety in the Atlantic v the Pacific.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:51 am

cod and crab
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by braslvr
Atlantic salmon in particular is almost inedible IMO.
This
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
This
Every summer, my uncle hosts a family event, during which he grilles two salmons, one from the Pacific NW, and one from Nova Scotia. He doesn't tell us which is which. Nova Scotia consistently wins by a 9 to 1 margin.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:18 pm

Any chance we could move beyond juvenile generalisations about fish coming out of oceans that are thousands of miles wide and contain many species, qualities of fish etc.?

For someone to say that there are practically no good fish coming out of the Atlantic Ocean, for example, is so patently absurd as to be laughable.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’m learning great stuff here for seafood. Super fun!
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Any chance we could move beyond juvenile generalisations about fish coming out of oceans that are thousands of miles wide and contain many species, qualities of fish etc.?

For someone to say that there are practically no good fish coming out of the Atlantic Ocean, for example, is so patently absurd as to be laughable.
I don't know why it is juvenile to discuss what types of fish to avoid or choose. I also am glad for the reminder that we should consider the sustainability of certain fish that are close to being overfished and scarce.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by corky
I don't know why it is juvenile to discuss what types of fish to avoid or choose. I also am glad for the reminder that we should consider the sustainability of certain fish that are close to being overfished and scarce.
I’m completely with you on sustainability, although I do feel unease at the preference for food miles on here (but I recognise I’m in the lucky position I live on an island and can buy local for almost all the year).

My point was a couple of the posts were sweeping generalisations and don’t add to the discussion.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
This

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
My point was a couple of the posts were sweeping generalisations and don’t add to the discussion.
this is FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frozen wild fish didn’t seem that much of a savings in cost, per safeway... I’m sure Costco could cost less.
If Gus’ supermarket is $12.99/lb to $15.99/lb for wild, I would expect Safeway frozen wild to be more like half the price (less than $9.99/12-Oz) and not similar price.

Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Frozen wild fish didn’t seem that much of a savings in cost, per safeway... I’m sure Costco could cost less.
If Gus’ supermarket is $12.99/lb to $15.99/lb for wild, I would expect Safeway frozen wild to be more like half the price (less than $9.99/12-Oz) and not similar price.
Are there any good actual fish markets in the Bay Area? When I lived there (during college, and for 2 years after), I was a slave to Safeway salmon (slightly more interesting options on occasion), but if had more time/money back then, I probably would have gone out of the way to find a better source. On Cape Cod, our fish markets are amazing, and Portland, OR isn't so bad. Jacksonville, FL fish markets kind of suck, but are better than Publix.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by moondog
Are there any good actual fish markets in the Bay Area? When I lived there (during college, and for 2 years after), I was a slave to Safeway salmon (slightly more interesting options on occasion), but if had more time/money back then, I probably would have gone out of the way to find a better source. On Cape Cod, our fish markets are amazing, and Portland, OR isn't so bad. Jacksonville, FL fish markets kind of suck, but are better than Publix.
There's a great one at the foot of the docks in Princeton harbor. Some of what they offer comes from the local boats.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any good actual fish markets in the Bay Area ...
I’m sure there are but during this pandemic, I’m not searching anything non-essential. I’m happy to get fresh wild fish at my nearby supermarket and to shop the other items at Safeway. I have a very limited routine of shopping for groceries. I really thought frozen wild fish would be $6-8/lb frozen if I was paying $12.99/lb for fresh. I’ll still check out Costco when I get there - the bad air quality prevented me from going today. Blah.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
There's a great one at the foot of the docks in Princeton harbor. Some of what they offer comes from the local boats.
Thanks for the info. This brings up an idea. I don't think this thread warrants a wikipost of fish markets around the world, but since it's possible to do better than grocery stores pretty much everywhere, I suggest that any of you guys are in City X, simply ask us for recs. For example, Pittsburgh is not a place you would envision having good fish off hand, but there is a large Catholic population there, which demands fish on Fridays, so you can count on fresh deliveries from New England every Thursday night...just not to supermarkets.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Free agent
On Cape Cod, our fish markets are amazing,
They've only got better since COVID tbh. The prices are great and they're offering a lot of stuff that was formerly saved for "export". Things like striped bass and even bluefin are constants. I fish quite a lot and fill the freezer with stuff lower on the food chain than what they sell (Mackerel, small bluefish, etc) but I patronize our stores regularly. Great service and they steam and crack any lobster you buy free of charge. We've been doing lunches with a few stuffies, seafood cakes, and handful of raw clams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.