Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az
Personally I think their burgers are "OK" and the fries awful.
Each to their own, but I love In 'n Out. And although I hate french fries, the only place I will eat them is at In 'n Out - made from scratch, fresh, right before your eyes. Doesn't get any better than that.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:41 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Note: the above posts were split off from a thread in the Las Vegas forum about how to get to the nearest In-N-Out from the Strip by walking.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734927

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Even living in southern California, I've never understood the praise heaped upon In-n-Out here--it's like some secret cult. I mean, for a fast-food burger, they're pretty good...but it's still just a pretty good fast-food burger. Lots of better things than that.

And the fries are horrible, no matter what secret way you order them.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
On a scale of zero to Winstead's, In-n-Out is about a 6. But that's not too bad, since Winstead's are celestial.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az
Personally I think their burgers are "OK" and the fries awful.

There is one less than a mile from my home, and it is very low on my list of fast food places to go to. I surely would not pay a taxi to take me to one
I agree. I had my first/last In-and-Out experience in California two years ago, and found fries to be cooked on the outside, and nearly raw on the inside. Burger was OK, and certainly above-average for a chain, but not the best that I've had.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:42 pm

Part of the appeal has to be the secret menu. They're definitely above and beyond Burger King and McDonald's, but that's not high praise in my opinion.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I grew up in Southern Cal and during my high school daze ate there at least twice a week, always thought it very good. Saturday night on a trip to Cal i stopped at an In n Out, maybe I'm older, not stoned or drunk but the burger seemed very average to me.
I think In and Out is way overrated on FT,

PS the fries are the worst fresh or not!!

Last edited by ninerfan; Sep 25, 2007 at 3:13 pm Reason: added fries comment
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PLT, CO PLT, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT
Animal style is great...much better than the run of the mill fast food
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
It's all right...I'll never go there by choice, but will tag along if with a group of friends. To echo other posters, the fries are not very good at all. I much rather Burger King or McD fries.

However, this is the only place I will eat a double patty burger...never anywhere else. Too much meat grosses me out (mainly low quality meat aka hamburgers )
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by irabk
In-N-Out is that good?
No. Greasy burgers, limp frys.
I really don't know why people are so impressed w/ In-N-Out....
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I think it has something to do with "absence makes the heart grow fonder".
I live here in ATL where most of the food is not good, and all of it is from some type of a franchise.

So when I go out West, it is a special treat to get an In-N-Out burger and fries. Are they the best in the world? No, but they are a special treat for an every once in a while trip.

You also can't argure with a place that you can't spend more than $8.00 a meal, no matter how hard you try!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I think part of what "used" to make them great is that you could ONLY get them via drive thru, and only in Southern California...so, they had this "Southern California" niche thing going for them. Then, they broke out of SoCal & broke out of "drive thru only"...so, they've lost the "you can only get them in this one area" unique-ness, for sure.

And, in losing that, they've lost a bit of the "niche" of people who grew up in So Cal & have since moved out of So Cal, since if you've moved to an area that has them now, you're in luck.

As far as fast food burgers go, they're at or near the top of a list: I'd say they just seem to taste a lot more fresh/"fresh-er" than your average fast food burger. The service at In & Out is always really good, always smiles on everyone's faces, always really friendly.

If one has a layover at LAX for an hour or more, the In & Out there (avail. via red Parking Spot shuttle) is def. worth a trip. Would I fly to LAX just to taste one? No.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA
In-n-Out will be the only thing I really miss about San Diego when I move away (whenever that may be).

The burgers are much tastier than something similar from other fast food joints of comparable price. Fresh lettuce, fresh tomatoes...with a bit of flavor to them, not like the limp leaves and mushy ooze of other places' "fresh" burger toppings.

Of course, I am currently finishing up my lunch of a Frostie and fries from Wendy's, so clearly, I am willing to eat anything if the price and location is right.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I had never had In-N-Out until about two years ago, and I must say that I was impressed. Tasty burgers and I like the fries although many seem to love 'em or hate 'em. The shakes are also pretty good.

Here in FL we've recently been blessed with a franchise known as Five Guys Burgers and Fries from the D.C. area. Its not exactly fast food as there is no drive-thru and the two we have here are located in strip malls. That aside, they have burgers and fries that rival In-N-Out IMO. My fiance' is hopelessly addicted.

Craig
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NW SE, WN, Hertz 5*
They are OK, but would prefer a White Castle burger in a heartbeat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.