Reload this Page >

Tipping at "iPad" restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at "iPad" restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

I never do. If you don't feel like anyone did anything that deserved a tip you shouldn't.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:48 am

It is not the customers responsibility to ensure the operative is paid properly, it is a contractual arrangement between the employee and employer, therefore I would only tip in the very rare circumstances when exceptional service, going above and beyond normal, was provided.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Bringing the food to the table is only half the job. Therefore the servers get half the usual tip. 10 per cent. 0 if the order is fouled up which at these I-pad places seems to happen frequently.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
One of the few valuable things a server brings to the equation is a knowledge of the menu: how the food is prepared, what goes with what, which allergens are in which dish etc. without that contribution there’s little point in them and they do nothing more than the McDonalds staff who bring the food to your table after you have ordered at the giant iPads. So, no tip.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:09 am

The justifications people go through about not tipping is funny Your friend should just admit he is cheap and doesn't want to leave a tip.
Badenoch and smc333 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet
The justifications people go through about not tipping is funny Your friend should just admit he is cheap and doesn't want to leave a tip.
Ok, I'll fall into the trap, why should the guy admit he's cheap? Why can't the owner/operator of the restaurant admit they're too cheap (and immoral) to pay their staff proper wages and needs to extract more money from the diner?

That's what I don't get... why not build the cost of wait-staff into the food like they should? Why mark it separately and then try to pin the guilt trip on the customers if they don't "leave enough" for the wait-staff. Tipping is really a North American (and more rampantly an American) thing. Now we're also starting to see service charges...and the people who don't read their receipts often tip on top of that.

Ugh!
jgor likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moderator's note:

Topic check! Please return to the question of how much to tip at iPad-style eateries.

General discussion of tipping, lamentations about North American tipping culture, etc., etc., can go on many other threads that can be found via search.

Please also do not make overly personalized characterizations of other posters.

Future posts not on-topic will be deleted.

Thank you,

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What about all the time they spend helping you figure out how to use the iPad? Surely, that's worth something!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:53 am

Coming from a culture where tipping is for going above and beyond the expected rather than routine... I'd treat an iPad restuarant here just the same as any other. Technically there is probably less opportunity for them to exceed expectations -v- if they'd taken the order themselves but that doesn't impact my decision.

If you want to consider wider than just the USA, you've also got to remember that in some places the service/tip goes straight to the owners and not the person that serves you (or the wider staff)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Qantas, Velocity
The few times I've been to an iPad place, I've always had a server come and take the actual order, bring plates and drinks, and check back a few times. The iPad thing was only for payment. Normally I see what the 'suggested' tip is (often 15-20%) and I adjust according to the service received. If it was of a reasonable standard, I'll leave the tip where it is. I've never had really poor service, but I've had exceptional service. So I bumped it up to 25%. And I was happy to pay it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
He waitered at university and said he earned his tips for the human part of his job and not just for carrying stuff to the table. I feel like he kind of has a point but I still wouldn't leave a zero tip. Maybe 10% or something. Thoughts?
[Removed general discussion of tipping per moderator's note, above]

I doubt I'd go above or below 15% here, because there's very little opportunity to be provide very good or bad service.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 2018 at 7:51 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:05 am

I wouldn't tip anything $0
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by saffy66
The few times I've been to an iPad place, I've always had a server come and take the actual order, bring plates and drinks, and check back a few times. The iPad thing was only for payment. Normally I see what the 'suggested' tip is (often 15-20%) and I adjust according to the service received. If it was of a reasonable standard, I'll leave the tip where it is. I've never had really poor service, but I've had exceptional service. So I bumped it up to 25%. And I was happy to pay it.
In my experiences, the iPad-type devices have a sliding scale for the tip, rather than allowing you to enter in your own tip. I prefer to enter my own tip, as the sliding scale is usually very sensitive.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I wouldn't tip anything $0
Care to share why?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't tip as much at order-from-the-touch-screen eateries, maybe 10% tops. The staff are only food-runners and bus-persons. Think about it, that's less than half the care, effort, and service provided in traditional, full table service restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.