Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at "iPad" restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by roberino
Care to share why?
The mod said not to steer away from the topic, but my reasons are included in what the mod said shouldn't be discussed in this thread.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by JumboJet
The justifications people go through about not tipping is funny Your friend should just admit he is cheap and doesn't want to leave a tip.
The justification that some people go through to justify tipping
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
You don't order from the table at either, though, so it's no surprise you wouldn't tip there (or if you do, it'd be while you were ordering and not at the end of the meal).
Many food outlets enable online preordering and not standing in a queue, do you tip the person handing over the order. Isnt the point of all this to take the human factor out and increase margins so let the establishment pay a decent wage.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:52 am

Tipping on iPad orders

I leave around 15-18%. The only thing thing the server doesn’t do is capture the initial order. Everything else is normal server duties. And I suspect they’re getting minimum wage. That’s probably why the default tip is 18% on the iPads I’ve used.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Platinium Elite
I do it simply to make someone's day and it's appropriate. Whoever referenced McDonalds servers who bring the food to your table...they are paid better than servers.

It's amazing how cheap some people are. Not frugal....CHEAP
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:33 am

I just don’t eat there

I hate these restaurants and refuse to give them any business.

I carry enough electronics. I don’t need another one in my face while I’m trying to eat.

You can’t pay cash in those restaurants.

I have special dietary needs and I doubt the glorified food runners have been trained on the menus.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:35 am

My general thought is that in a full service restaurant, the bussers and others share in the tips. So I should leave something to cover the service I did get. If it's really impersonal (on the level of a busser just dropping off and clearing), a couple of $$ is fine. I'll often leave a dollar or two in a Smashburger or other "fastfood" restaurant that delivers to the table and clears after I order at counter. This is similar in my opinion. If a more personal level - someone checks on our satisfaction, explains menu, explains iPad, makes suggestions, a more normal level of tip is appropriate.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would tip in an iPad place the same as I would in a buffet: Normally leave something but not the usual 15-20% in the USA. My standard would probably be 10% depending on whether there were drink refills etc. I wouldn't leave less than $1, but a $1 tip would seem like a lot for a nonalcoholic drink only.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:53 am

I think it's only fair to split the tip between Tim Cook's iPad engineering staff and the restaurant waitstaff. Unless the iPad crashes or the server drops your food. Now if the server drops your food on the iPad, causing it to crash... that's a tough one since the iPad would ideally be engineered more robustly.

Of course, all this points to the future when the non-automated portion of restaurant service will be increasingly non-existent. What are the people who need to tip to feel better about earning much more than waiters while working less going to do then? Tip the robots?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:19 am

I find the fact that tipping is expected very frustrating, and a problem with American culture and the way we compensate service workers (and don't get me started on sick leave and health insurance). But as someone who worked in those minimum wage jobs in the past and now is reasonably comfortable financially, I think giving 3 or 5 dollars to someone who is working very hard for not much money a good use of my funds. I don't if the service is terrible, but I spend more than that on stupid stuff every day. I try not to overthink it. If I'm wondering whether to tip, I tip, at least in the US.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I'm ok with 10% as long as they check up on me here and there and keep my drink filled.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
+1, I almost never tip, and never ever when I'm travelling alone and eating at airport. Serving food, smiling, ensuring the food is what you've ordered and checking if you need anything else is part of their job description. At this rate might as well start tipping the FA on your flights as well.
You never tip at any restaurant? Or just at airports?

Tipping has little to do with job descriptions, and more to do with cultural expectations. In certain countries, your money would be returned to you if you tried to tip. In many more countries, it's a societal norm to tip. The OP has posed a valid question that is going to become very interesting as more and more automation comes to the restaurant industry. Theoretically, tipping should decrease in some way. But I'm not sure that "I ignore the cultural and societal norms" is going to help us figure out how to answer it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:17 pm

The tip is for service. There are 4 areas of service provided by staff:
1) Answering my menu questions, taking my order and unrequested/requested suggestions
2) Bringing the food/drink to the table and making sure everything is correct (including condiments, etc)
3) Providing refills as appropriate and checking that everything was OK (temperature, taste, etc)
4) Cleaning (bussing) the table.

I generally give 20% when the service is good in all 4 areas.

Based on the OP's description of the iPad menu, given that all other elements were there, I'd say 15%. If no refills/checking then another 5% gone. Same with bussing the table.

This would be the same where I order from the counter. That doesn't count as "service" unless its exceptional.

The problem, of course, is that the tip is given PRIOR to the service. In that case, no tip on CC but appropriate cash tip left in a tip box, if any.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:07 pm

Counter workes such as McDonald's also make real minimum wage and sometimes $10 - 11 an hour. US wait staff typically are paid $2.13 an hour. Supposedly it's upped to minimum wage if they don't get tips to hit minimum wage, but that's pretty much a myth. They make what they make, and on some nights it really is $2.13 an hour.

I tip a minimum of 20% at every restaurant, $1 at Starbuck's, and nothing at McD's and other fast food joints.

Last edited by chrystinp; Apr 18, 2018 at 9:11 pm Reason: add clarity
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by chrystinp
Counter workes such as McDonald's also make real minimum wage and sometimes $10 - 11 an hour. US wait staff typically are paid $2.13 an hour. Supposedly it's upped to minimum wage if they don't get tips to hit minimum wage, but that's pretty much a myth. They make what they make, and on some nights it really is $2.13 an hour.

I tip a minimum of 20% at every restaurant, $1 at Starbuck's, and nothing at McD's and other fast food joints.
What is the rationale for tipping $1 at Starbucks? They usually pay rather well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.