Let's be honest - most craft beer is crap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Anything by Brewdog is very hit and miss.
A triumph of PR and marketing over substance.
Thanks - will try one so that I can see what you're talking about
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Thanks - will try one so that I can see what you're talking about
It'll probably be a Punk IPA.
From their website ....

Our scene-stealing flagship is an India Pale Ale that has become a byword for craft beer rebellion; synonymous with the insurgency against mass-produced, lowest common denominator beer. Punk IPA charges the barricades to fly its colours from the ramparts – full-on, full-flavour; at full-throttle.

Layered with new world hops to create an explosion of tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee before a spiky bitter finish, this is transatlantic fusion running at the fences of lost empires.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

See what I mean about PR and marketing.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
BrewDog is, for some reason, opening a US production facility here in Columbus. I really want them to just go back from whence they came. We have enough (actually good) craft beer here.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Beer nerds are trying to out hop and our sour each other. As with all nerds, pay no attention to them.

There are a lot of great craft brews. I prefer seasonals and I'm looking forward to the Marzens, pumpkins, and black ales/lagers that come out in the Fall.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[removed personal attack]

BTW, I happen to love hop bombs. I don't expect anyone else necessarily to, but it's a golden age indeed for me.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 18, 2016 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
[deleted quote of now-deleted material]

BTW, I happen to love hop bombs. I don't expect anyone else necessarily to, but it's a golden age indeed for me.
I too happen to love hop bombs. I'll drink other styles, but I do enjoy my hops.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 18, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I love super-hoppy beers. It's a matter of taste. It's not an objective reality that heavily hopped beers suck, that's your opinion. It's not marketing that is responsible for my opinion and IPAs have been around for a long time and aren't some newfangled invention. There are plenty of craft beers that aren't so hop-forward FYI, all you have to do is look without the pretense you are oozing.

Last edited by sky303; Aug 15, 2016 at 9:28 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Two Hearted Ale is the best beer, best drink and perhaps the best food in the world.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
[deleted quote of now-deleted material]
I base my opinion on drinking hundreds of craft beers and coming to the conclusion that most tasted the same and most tasted crap.
I like some hoppy beers but not crap hoppy beers of which there are many,brewed by novices who don't understand that less is more when it comes to brewing.
I also owned a bar for some years so know the odd thing or two about beer.
But I don't have any ironic facial hair so I suppose my opinion counts for nothing.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 18, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: *G
I love the hops. Why so fervently oppose having options? Some may prefer sweeter taste of wheats, some the smokiness of porters, some the bright crisp taste of pils.

At the least, you've got options. How about living in a place -- most of the world, in fact -- where there is the same 5 beers offered everywhere, and they're all the same style, or minor variants on the same style of lager.

Has there been an absolute explosion of craft beers and beer styles in the last decade plus? sure

Are all of them necessary? not really

Is it a bad thing ? why would it be. nobody complaints about having thousands of wines on offer most of which require an exquisite palate to differentiate.

My beer 'experimentation' days are over. After probably 500+ different individual ones, i've lost the enthusiasm and novelty of trying new beers... but sure am glad breweries like Flying Dog , Dogfish head, and Bell's exist.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I base my opinion on drinking hundreds of craft beers and coming to the conclusion that most tasted the same and most tasted crap.
I like some hoppy beers but not crap hoppy beers of which there are many,brewed by novices who don't understand that less is more when it comes to brewing.
I also owned a bar for some years so know the odd thing or two about beer.
But I don't have any ironic facial hair so I suppose my opinion counts for nothing.
Others have consumed hundreds of craft beers and enjoyed them. It's personal preference and taste. Your opinion is just that: YOUR opinion.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:52 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't understand the hops obsession, but to each their own I guess.
agree, there are too many other styles that are being ignored.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by highops
Two Hearted Ale is the best beer, best drink and perhaps the best food in the world.
See, I hate Two Hearted and most Bell's beer, thus illustrating the completely objective nature of craft beer tasting/enjoying. Saying things like "all craft beer sucks" or "IPAs are terrible" or "Chicago is the best craft beer city in the world" is like spitting into the wind.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Hops in craft beer has become a parallel to peat in single malts. A little is good, too much is revolting.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've drunk hundreds of different craft beers and the reality is the vast majority of them are rubbish.
THANK YOU!

I drink what I like and don't pretend it isn't crap but I have a friend who will "Only drink local/ craft" beers and he pontificates about their grandness, raving about their superior quality. Really annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.