Search

Let's be honest - most craft beer is crap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
THANK YOU!

I drink what I like and don't pretend it isn't crap but I have a friend who will "Only drink local/ craft" beers and he pontificates about their grandness, raving about their superior quality. Really annoying.
Some say craft beer only exists so guys who don't drink wine can still be pretentious ...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
I base my opinion on drinking hundreds of craft beers and coming to the conclusion that most tasted the same and most tasted crap.
From that, I'd come to the conclusion that since you think they all taste the same, you're either limiting yourself to one/several varietals or there is something wrong with your taste buds. I, too, have tried hundreds of varieties of craft beers and to say they all taste the same is like saying all vegetables taste the same.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Some say craft beer only exists so guys who don't drink wine can still be pretentious ...

love that.

Most of the craft beer "pearls of wisdom" I have heard were related to hipsters. I like the wine quote better.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
An hilarious quote coming from this particular poster...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
FT need a crying while laughing emoji right now!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
THANK YOU!

I drink what I like and don't pretend it isn't crap but I have a friend who will "Only drink local/ craft" beers and he pontificates about their grandness, raving about their superior quality. Really annoying.
Be honest. That guy is annoying most of the time. Am I right?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
THANK YOU!

We've gone full circle as a society when you want to hang out with your wine drinking friends because all your beer drinking friends are w@nkers.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
From what I've read, small breweries like to make IPAs because they're hard to really screw up, since the strong hops flavor can cover up a lot of mistakes, compared with, say, a Kolsch or a bock. So you end up with a lot of mediocre IPAs.

But I think there's a big difference between "most craft beer is crap" and "most craft IPA is crap". I do enjoy a good IPA once in a while, when the mood strikes, but most of the time, I lean towards balanced reds, toasty browns, porters, stouts, and Belgians, and the fall seasonals.
Correct. IPA are easiest to brew and make, so dudes (or women) make it first at home.to share with pals and think about others later, if at all when they brew for masses.

And the more hops and more horsepower are US things
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
We've gone full circle as a society when you want to hang out with your wine drinking friends because all your beer drinking friends are w@nkers.
'nuff said.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDfll0ZUMAATqbS.jpg:large
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
ALL:

Tone down the snark and overly-personalized jabs. In fact, avoid such entirely.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Dining Buzz
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Great post.
I don't understand the hops obsession, but to each their own I guess.
Same with the weird flavor combinations.

Bass is a good choice. I also like the Munich beers. (Reinheitsgebot is a good thing).
Not really. The beer purity law of 1516 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot was mostly about price controls. Using only barley, water and hops would preclude spices, corn, wheat, honey, etc. Now it's pretty much a marketing slogan that sounds much better than it really is.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: TrueBlue Mosaic, HHonors, Marriott
I just don't get people getting so worked up about things. There's a time and place for everything- i'm sure not going to be drinking 8 double IPA's on the golf course or at the pool, but i'm also going to skip the bud light to go with my rib eye, pass the hops please.

Life is full of choices. Make your own and don't worry about others.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
one other "issue" with craft beers. One can't drink them all day.
For instance, every Labor Day weekend Mrs Willie & I hold a party at our lake cabin in N Wisconsin. Folks drink Miller Lite throughout the day, can't do that with craft beers as they just are too rich or heavy.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cmcc
Not really. The beer purity law of 1516 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot was mostly about price controls. Using only barley, water and hops would preclude spices, corn, wheat, honey, etc. Now it's pretty much a marketing slogan that sounds much better than it really is.
Well, I drink several of the beers still brewed under that tradition and enjoy them immensely.

I wasn't around in 1516, so not sure if it was mostly about price control...or an early form of food safety...or more likely, elements of both as well as others.

But I will take a "Reinheitsgebot-brewed" beer over any of the craft beer with their fruit infusions and hemp-added flavorings.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Be honest. That guy is annoying most of the time. Am I right?
I have on more than one occasion asked him “You know what it’s like when someone punches you really hard in the middle of the face?” - J. Clarkson

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.