Wiki Posts
Search

Best City in the world for Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Top 50 restaurants in the world:

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/...ia-Francescana

#5 in Copenhagen was won several years best restaurant in the world and was also featured on Anthony Bourdain's show.

Lima has two restaurants in the top 15.
While I think that list is pretty terrible it does remind me that Gaggan is only 50 metres down the road and I really should go one night before I finish my Bangkok stint.

Troopers - my one issue with Singapore is it kind of seems like the strip mall of street food compared to places like Vietnam or Taiwan (Thailand and Malaysia as well). Not saying it's bad, it is good, but it's kinda Asian street food for the somewhat nervous western tourist.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by IMOA
Troopers - my one issue with Singapore is it kind of seems like the strip mall of street food compared to places like Vietnam or Taiwan (Thailand and Malaysia as well). Not saying it's bad, it is good, but it's kinda Asian street food for the somewhat nervous western tourist.
Nice description, I do agree with you. See my post #22.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by IMOA
While I think that list is pretty terrible it does remind me that Gaggan is only 50 metres down the road and I really should go one night before I finish my Bangkok stint.

Why is the list terrible? I would definitely prefer it from the street food where they keep the meat in their home closet...lol...

I wish I was so adventurous as to eat street food as you guys...I miss that freedom, but cannot longer do it...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Troopers, i seem to recall LA having private dinners where people bring restaurant chefs into their houses and invite friends, thought kevineats did some, but not seeing it

while SIN has actual 'restaurants' in people's houses

there was US media coverage of someone doing vaguely like SIN here in US, either NY or cali, where they charged a lot per person and were doing the cooking themselves
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is the list terrible? I would definitely prefer it from the street food where they keep the meat in their home closet...lol...

I wish I was so adventurous as to eat street food as you guys...I miss that freedom, but cannot longer do it...
To me, no list can be good except my own. What I want from a restaurant is different from everyone else, especially if you have the ability to select from all of the restaurants in the world. But a list can be a good starting place.

This list, though, sounds like it basically lacks any meaningful methodology.

For more about it see:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20.../whos-to-judge
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
To me, no list can be good except my own. What I want from a restaurant is different from everyone else, especially if you have the ability to select from all of the restaurants in the world. But a list can be a good starting place.

This list, though, sounds like it basically lacks any meaningful methodology.

For more about it see:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20.../whos-to-judge
I am sure there is a lot of subjectivity to it, with a ton of factors coming to play, but even then these top 50 would be in the top 1000 however you slice it. Or at least there will be very good restaurants, even though perhaps now overpriced and hard to get in...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure there is a lot of subjectivity to it, with a ton of factors coming to play, but even then these top 50 would be in the top 1000 however you slice it. Or at least there will be very good restaurants, even though perhaps now overpriced and hard to get in...
But, again, these top 1000 would be about theatricality, artifice, presentation, ambience, service, etc., to some extent.

One of my favorite restaurants was a kebob stand in Istanbul. I think about it all the time. Went three times. It's not going to make any list like this ever - not 1,000 and not 10,000.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
But, again, these top 1000 would be about theatricality, artifice, presentation, ambience, service, etc., to some extent.

One of my favorite restaurants was a kebob stand in Istanbul. I think about it all the time. Went three times. It's not going to make any list like this ever - not 1,000 and not 10,000.
I think definitely a big piece of the ratings have to do with the food, either the authenticity of the ingredients or the quality of at least one of the plates. I don't think any street food anywhere in the world would stick in my mind, other than gosh, I hope I didn't catch anything from it, lol...OTOH, my meals at the Istanbul Four Seasons restaurant were unforgettable...Although the stuff I would eat regularly growing up would freak out Americans, lol...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Agreed - a bit like the top 10 steak Restaurants in North America lists in airline magazines. SUBJECTIVE
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Agreed - a bit like the top 10 steak Restaurants in North America lists in airline magazines. SUBJECTIVE
But sometimes those listing service can be affected by steakhouses buying advertising.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
But sometimes those listing service can be affected by steakhouses buying advertising.
Oh absolutely -which is why one should take listings with a bucket full of salt .
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Sometimes? Can you name a single example where it's NOT based upon advertising buys?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Platinum
Basement floor, Isetan Shinjuku store
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I don't think any street food anywhere in the world would stick in my mind, other
than gosh, I hope I didn't catch anything from it, lol
One of my most memorable, in the good sense, tastes was bought
for 50c from a lady squatting over a little hibachi on a dusty street
near the night market in Chiangmai. Pork belly satays in a sweet
soy, and you could smell them from the door of the fancy restaurant
we were about to go in to.
Although the stuff I would eat regularly growing up would freak out Americans, lol...
Interesting these two statements in the same post. What did you
eat growing up?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:25 am

Singapore has been named many, many times already.

Personally, I think Shanghai has a GREAT choice of different food choices as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.