Wiki Posts
Search

Best City in the world for Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by yokozuma
If you fancy something a little different I'd say Penang, Malaysia!
My Brother-in-law lives there and my niece just visited. Both highly recommend.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "best" places for food I personally have been are Paris and its environs, Luzern, Avignon, and Pittsburgh. (Didn't spend enough time in Lyon to evaluate it fully, but I plan to correct that error ASAP!) Since I love both beer and game meats, Prague is high on my list also.

But honestly, I've had really terrific food in many places, so saying one is the "best" is impossible.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I'll vote for Singapore and Barcelona.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Since I love both beer and game meats, Prague is high on my list also
You should hit Chicago. Lots of craft and other beers, and a mix of old school and new style Eastern Europe meat places.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Singapore seems like the overwhelming favorite. Do you guys know any good sites to look into the type of food that they have there?

I have been to San Fran many of times and I do agree that in the US that is up there as one of the best. I love New York's food scene also. Jack's Wife Freda and Jacobs Pickles were 2 brunch spots I fell in love with last time I went.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Olivia1
I really want to experience the culture of a city and dive into all they have to offer.
Hong Kong, Taipei, Osaka, Florence
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:01 pm

Singapore seems like the overwhelming favorite.
While the food is excellent, I found the city to be quite sterile and lacking character.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Singapore seems like the overwhelming favorite. Do you guys know any good sites to look into the type of food that they have there?

I have been to San Fran many of times and I do agree that in the US that is up there as one of the best. I love New York's food scene also. Jack's Wife Freda and Jacobs Pickles were 2 brunch spots I fell in love with last time I went.
Where SF, NYC (including Queens) and even LA beat places like Singapore is in universality.

For example, Singapore might have the world's best collection of food from all provinces of China (including the obscure ones), but then the collection of Chinese region restaurants in LA's San Gabriel Valley is right there. And in LA you are not limited to Asian, you have easy access to everything from regional Mexican to prime steaks to
Italian, and so on.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:42 pm

What about Hawaii for food? I love Hawaiian food.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
So many cities. So much to enjoy. How about Istanbul? Or New Orleans?

I've never quite understood the Singapore wow food factor. I've eaten with locals in local places, hawkers, celebrity chefs at MBS, private clubs, and in the hotels. There's a lot to like, but I never felt blown away. I'll be back there quite soon - last visit was 2012 - and will take another crack at it. Somehow I'll manage .

Two weeks ago I had a quick visit to Dubai. Not enough time to understand all the food options, but I think there's a lot of dining potential in Dubai.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would think paris and tokyo

in france there is probably a better 'region' than paris

singapore is limited to certain 'types'

i seem to recall other similar threads
i definitely recall someone mentioning barcelona alongside at least NYC if not paris and others
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
You should hit Chicago. Lots of craft and other beers, and a mix of old school and new style Eastern Europe meat places.
I've spent plenty of time in Chitown. Not my scene at all.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Was not expecting to hear London on this list! Might have to look into that.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

london has variety including ethnic
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:12 am

Was not expecting to hear London on this list! Might have to look into that.
The UK is obviously at a disadvantage compared to its continental European counterparts when it comes to locally sourced products, but London has an abundance of really talented chefs pushing what they have to the limits. Another good thing about London is that given so many choices, it's relatively easy to get a table on short notice at many of the better places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.