FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Best City in the world for Food? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1771857-best-city-world-food.html)

Olivia1 Jun 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Best City in the world for Food?

I am a food fanatic and planing a vacation this fall. I am literally basing my vacation off of the food. I really want to experience the culture of a city and dive into all they have to offer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Fine dining? Street food? Something in between?

My first instinct is to say Singapore. Paris is an obvious choice. I was pretty impressed with the food I had in Edinburgh, including what I consider "nouvelle British."

Duke787 Jun 12, 2016 9:09 pm

I agree on the Singapore suggestion - it's a foodie paradise and is major part of the culture.

If you like fish (along with a few other things), Tokyo is also a place where you can really feel the culture through food

jeebus Jun 12, 2016 9:40 pm

I've never been, but when I was in Singapore talking to colleagues about all the great food options they had, they kept saying how Malaysia's food scene is even better.

lhgreengrd1 Jun 12, 2016 10:25 pm

I'll go with Lyon, France. Although if I were travelling to Europe, I'd also hit Florence, Italy, on the same trip. And depending upon the amount of time I had, Paris, Barcelona, Geneva and Strasbourg would also be worth considering in fairly easy geographic proximity.

violist Jun 12, 2016 10:31 pm

In addition to Lyon and Singapore, both of which I endorse,
I'd like to suggest Kansas City and Austin if you're a carnivore.

Doc Savage Jun 12, 2016 10:35 pm

San Francisco

Non-NonRev Jun 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Domestic US, I would nominate San Francisco.

The entire city is 7 miles by 7 miles, meaning you don't need a car unless you want your go to Napa/Sonoma.

An almost fanatical focus on the freshest possible ingredients, with a mix of classic and modern techniques. Super talented men and women running the kitchens.

FinalCallDXB Jun 13, 2016 1:18 am

I'd second (third?, fourth?) Singapore.

I don't think any one destination in Malaysia beats Singapore but when taken together, Malacca, KL, Ipoh and Penang are definitely more than worth a food based trip.

A lot of my Singaporean colleagues have started going to Taipei for foodie weekends but have yet to find the time to join them.

In Europe I would add San Sebastian into the mix. I'm also yet to eat anything in Porto that wasn't excellent.

Clint Bint Jun 13, 2016 2:48 am

The only problem with Singapore is that unless you like karaoke it's dull.Safe but dull.
Personally I like New York and London.
Paris is hugely over-rated.
For a smaller city I agree with the poster above about San Sebastian and its neighbour Bilbao.
But of course these are all subjective opinions.

bensyd Jun 13, 2016 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint (Post 26770372)
Paris is hugely over-rated.

+1

It trades on its reputation.

London, San Francisco, NY, HK, Sydney, Singapore, Buenos Aires (it's a bit narrower here, come for the steaks and the Italian food). They'd be my picks.

VivoPerLei Jun 13, 2016 4:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26769432)
Fine dining? Street food? Something in between?

That's just what I was thinking - are we talking about spending a week eating in Michelin starred restaurants? If so, then London would be a great choice. Or are we talking about the best regional food? I thought the food in Barcelona blew me away, so if that's the objective, I'd probably head back there. In the USA I'd probably go to KC

Clint Bint Jun 13, 2016 4:33 am

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 26770408)
+1

It trades on its reputation.

London, San Francisco, NY, HK, Sydney, Singapore, Buenos Aires (it's a bit narrower here, come for the steaks and the Italian food). They'd be my picks.

Buenos Aires is on my bucket list.Read so many great things about the city.I shall PM you for reccos if I ever get the chance to go.

GRALISTAIR Jun 13, 2016 6:27 am

Originally Posted by violist (Post 26769780)
i'd like to suggest kansas city and austin if you're a carnivore.

^^

Originally Posted by clint bint (Post 26770372)
personally i like new york and london. Paris is hugely over-rated.

^^^

Originally Posted by vivoperlei (Post 26770522)
-- are we talking about spending a week eating in michelin starred restaurants? If so, then london would be a great choice. In the usa i'd probably go to kc

^^

yokozuma Jun 13, 2016 8:22 am

London, San Fran, Osaka/Tokyo, HK

If you fancy something a little different I'd say Penang, Malaysia!