Search

Best City in the world for Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Oh come on - hyperbole
Ok. I admit this was hyperbole. But I stand by the basic point. The general standard of food in the UK is appreciably lower than in the rest of the world.

The only aspect of British food I really like is breakfast - I do enjoy a hot meal in the morning.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by IMOA
I'd also agree that you can't get good eastern Asian food in Europe.
I think you guys who believe you can't get good Asian food in Europe haven't been going to the right places!!!! (and I write that as someone who lived in HK until 2 years ago).

I find the food in Malaysia better than Singapore. And I find Singapore vastly superior to HK. I actually think the food in HK is disappointing in the extreme as the HK palate seems to be diametrically opposed to the Western palate. Perhaps it is worsened by some of the poor quality ingredients used in HK (and the often dodgy food hygiene practices).

My favourite food "cities" are Melbourne, London, Provence (amazing food in some of the villages such as Gigondas, plus towns like Vaison-la-Romaine), New York, Tuscany (northern). I've had some very good meals in Prague, Bangkok, Barcelona, Hanoi and Paris but I find the quality can be variable. Copenhagen is supposed to the hot new foodie city and I've eaten some great meals there but they come at a price!

Living in London I am clearly biased but the changes within the last few years have been quite amazing. It really is foodie central now. An earlier poster made a weird comment about the UK having a lack of local ingredients...very bizarre comment!! There's a big focus on fresh and local and some amazing food from street food to Michelin starred.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
The general standard of food in the UK is appreciably lower than in the rest of the world.
You are way out of date. Things have changed dramatically, particularly in London but in much of the UK too.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 20, 2016 at 3:13 pm Reason: merge/repair quote
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
[QUOTE=bibbju;26800659]
The general standard of food in the UK is appreciably lower than in the rest of the world. /QUOTE]

You are way out of date. Things have changed dramatically, particularly in London but in much of the UK too.
Exactly what I was going to say. If the poster had said this 30 years ago I would have agreed. Things have changed dramatically.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by violist
One of my most memorable, in the good sense, tastes was bought
for 50c from a lady squatting over a little hibachi on a dusty street
near the night market in Chiangmai. Pork belly satays in a sweet
soy, and you could smell them from the door of the fancy restaurant
we were about to go in to.

Interesting these two statements in the same post. What did you
eat growing up?
They are there preemptively and for balance/context.

Rotisserie animal heads and brains with fries (these were big in the pre-mad cow disease era, lol), pig feet soup, animal entrails, fishhead soup, snails, frog legs, quails, you know, the usual...

Favorite dish:

https://www.google.com/search?q=snai...-xAtMQ_AUICigD
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Sure, perhaps for satay and other items. But what about a bowl of noodle soup, where the noodles are handmade and pulled/shaved? Street food is not as sophisticated as a Michelin restaurant, but I would argue that it can be just as wonderful.
But then hole in the wall places are even better than street food. Wandering into some dark alley in Japan, finding a little bar where owner speaks no English, trying to order. Walls filled with Americana memorabilia.

I feel when people are saying "ambience" they just mean fancy, fine-dining. But the other kind of ambience (like the night market) is even better. Something you can't get anywhere else.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Ok. I admit this was hyperbole. But I stand by the basic point. The general standard of food in the UK is appreciably lower than in the rest of the world.
It's not hyperbole mate,it's cobblers.
Laughable.But still cobblers.
I could eat out every day of the year in a different restaurant in London and enjoy great food every time.
Interestingly,in all the decades I lived in London I never heard anyone ever say " I fancy eating German tonight. "
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
It's not hyperbole mate,it's cobblers.
Laughable.But still cobblers.
I could eat out every day of the year in a different restaurant in London and enjoy great food every time.
Interestingly,in all the decades I lived in London I never heard anyone ever say " I fancy eating German tonight. "
I still stand by what I said. Whilst there has been an improvement in the high-end options, most of the everyday food on offer is of lower quality than the rest of the world and overpriced.

By the way, I'm not German, I'm English and emigrated 3 years ago.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still stand by what I said. Whilst there has been an improvement in the high-end options, most of the everyday food on offer is of lower quality than the rest of the world and overpriced.

Lets agree to disagree then.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Lets agree to disagree then.
Fair enough. It would be a pretty boring world if we all agreed.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:23 am

I think you just aren't going to the right places and/or are out of date. There are lots of great (and cheap) everyday options, especially if you go to food markets (Borough, Maltby St, Broadway, Brick Lane, Spitalfields) or food trucks or cafes. But yeah, if you're eating at some tourist place near Leicester Square you stand a higher chance of not great food at higher prices. You're entitled to your opinion of course but I just think it's sad that you're missing out on some amazing food because you're stuck in the past / don't know where to eat.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But then hole in the wall places are even better than street food. Wandering into some dark alley in Japan, finding a little bar where owner speaks no English, trying to order. Walls filled with Americana memorabilia.

I feel when people are saying "ambience" they just mean fancy, fine-dining. But the other kind of ambience (like the night market) is even better. Something you can't get anywhere else.
Wholehearted agree, and that "ambience" makes the meal so much more compelling, satisfying and memorable.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bibbju
But yeah, if you're eating at some tourist place near Leicester Square you stand a higher chance of not great food at higher prices.
^ As an example, if you want (way) over rated Fish and Chips -go to Harry Ramsdens. IMHO.

Some of the best fish and chips are not where you would expect-bit like great seafood in Florida is often at some little mom and pop joint.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

^ As an example, if you want (way) over rated Fish and Chips -go to Harry Ramsdens. IMHO.
That is a very good example. By the way, the best fish and chips I ever had was on the west coast of Scotland.

I agree there are some good places to eat in the UK, but IME they are the exception rather than the rule. Maybe you're right. Maybe I just haven't been finding them.

I will be back in the UK (English Midlands) at Christmas to visit my mother (who, by the way, is a good cook). I'll be on the road a fair bit whilst I'm there, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know and I'll gladly try them out with an open mind.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:30 am

That is a very good example. By the way, the best fish and chips I ever had was on the west coast of Scotland.

I agree there are some good places to eat in the UK, but IME they are the exception rather than the rule. Maybe you're right. Maybe I just haven't been finding them.

I will be back in the UK (English Midlands) at Christmas to visit my mother (who, by the way, is a good cook). I'll be on the road a fair bit whilst I'm there, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know and I'll gladly try them out with an open mind.
Ooh yikes, can't help with the Midlands I'm afraid. Can anyone else?

If by chance you stop off in London though, please feel free to PM me and I can give you lots of recommendations. They will mainly be in east London (E1/E2/SE1) as to be honest, I see no need to ever leave the area when the local food and coffee is so good. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the West End. ;-)
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bibbju
Ooh yikes, can't help with the Midlands I'm afraid. Can anyone else?

If by chance you stop off in London though, please feel free to PM me and I can give you lots of recommendations. They will mainly be in east London (E1/E2/SE1) as to be honest, I see no need to ever leave the area when the local food and coffee is so good. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the West End. ;-)
Maybe I've been in the wrong part of the UK!

I must admit the only time I've really spent in London was working as an on-the-road transport controller, usually eating at odd hours of the night and morning, when options are rather limited. Much of this time was also spent in some pretty ratty areas of town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.