Low glycemic ideas?

Old Dec 14, 15, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Low glycemic ideas?

Well, I've gained 10 lbs since moving to Maine and am tired of my pants not fitting. I'm going to finally take my mom's advice and cut out white things (sugar, flour, rice, potatoes) and also stop drinking for a while (but I like my beer and wine and cocktails ).

I have been having a measured bowl of cereal for breakfast for as long as I can remember. What are some good low-glycemic breakfasts I can do? I don't much care for oatmeal. I like eggs but don't want eggs for breakfast every day.

I used to make smoothies with plain Greek yogurt, some frozen berries, milk, and Splenda. They were good but I'm looking for more ideas.

More broadly, what are some other meals you like? I'm going to get sick of salads and b.good's kale and quinoa bowls...

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 15, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Check out the a South Beach Diet book for recommendations and recipes if you want low carb. Yeah, I know it sounds cliche....
Old Dec 14, 15, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Check out the a South Beach Diet book for recommendations and recipes if you want low carb. Yeah, I know it sounds cliche....
I used to have the book, thanks for reminding me. I don't want low carb, necessarily. Just no refined carbs. A little brown rice or whole wheat bread is fine. But good idea on recipes in the book.
Old Dec 14, 15, 11:01 pm

I'm not big on oatmeal, either, although I discovered it's more enjoyable al dente.

Something I do like that is similar, though, is barley. If you don't mind the idea of something savory for breakfast, you might try this recipe for barley with brown butter and scallions.

One thing--as it takes 45 minutes to cook, you won't want to try to make it morning-of. If you make it in advance, though, it reheats well.
Old Dec 15, 15, 12:18 am

OP: you're in Maine. Buy some locally grown buckwheat flour (low glycemic) and make a variation on Swedish pancakes. Lots of egg, low fat milk, buckwheat, salt, vanilla - makes a great pancake. You can make the batter in advance, store it in the fridge, and cook up a few each morning.
Old Dec 15, 15, 2:04 am

Breakfast is very difficult. For me, that's when my body is most craving carbs and I could easily put away a Full English breakfast most days.

I have several things I try to do, for example:

Plan ahead. If I'm making say scallops or prawns the night before, I'll put some aside for breakfast the next morning. Were I in Maine I would probably eat lobster as much as possible.

One day a week I might eat two grapefruit.

Cheese, deli meats and maybe grapes.

Brown bread. We buy a Lithuanian salted rye at the Borough Market and it is so good it's practically the only bread we are eating right now.

Tomato soup.
Old Dec 15, 15, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do unsweetened Greek Yogurt with berries.
Old Dec 15, 15, 12:38 pm

If you are a costco member, they sell tons of diabetic friendly food. For breakfast, I got the Nature Valley Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Protein Chewy bars. It only has 14g of carb but with 10g protein and 5g fiber and test nothing like protein bar. More like a tasty chocolate chewy bar. Other days I eat oat meal or egg and meat omelet
Old Dec 15, 15, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I highly recommend The Formula, which focuses on using a low-glycemic diet to lose weight.

My favorite of their breakfast recipes calls for (roughly):

1/3 cup of raw oats, cooked per instructions

Add to the cooked oatmeal:
1/3 cup of 1% milkfat cottage cheese
Splash of milk (1%, I think)
2 teaspoons chopped almonds (I use almond meal)
A teaspoon or two of fructose (I'm more likely to use a couple Splenda packets)

It's tasty, and I've eaten it on and off for years, even when I'm not trying to eat a low glycemic diet.

ETA: Sorry, just saw you're not an oatmeal fan. Oh well, maybe someone else will enjoy this recipe!
Old Dec 15, 15, 1:44 pm

Can you exercise?

Rent one of these and use it for 30 minutes a day (or whatever):
http://www.waterrower.com/rentals/rent_us.php

Why?
It's takes up virtual no space when stood on end.
It's ridiculously low impact.
You're only under a 3 month obligation.
It's an incredible workout you can tailor to any level.

Anyone should be able to store one somewhere in their home for 3 months. 10 pounds is no match for a rower and 3 months.
Old Dec 15, 15, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Low carb. Atkins induction will easy shift 15lbs in a month. Start 1.1.16!
Old Dec 15, 15, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I'm following a low-carbohydrate diet plan presently so I'm largely avoiding refined sugars and flour, too. For breakfast I often eat a bit of meat and cheese. I buy different kinds of salamis and both string cheese and block cheese. I also keep a bag of nuts on hand. And peanut butter. Then, too, because I'm not a breakfast traditionalist I'm happy to make myself a roast beef sandwich (on low-carbohydrate bread). I don't eat all of the above each breakfast but rather pick and choose to enjoy variety.
Old Dec 15, 15, 4:59 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
One of my friends has had good success with the Slow-Carb diet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-Carb_Diet
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. Yeah, slow carb is pretty much what I'm doing. And I do work out - I go to boot camp/circuit training class at the Y 2 or 3 days a week. I used to go 3 days a week but with the new job it's harder.

I. Hate. Rowing.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
I highly recommend The Formula, which focuses on using a low-glycemic diet to lose weight.

My favorite of their breakfast recipes calls for (roughly):
That actually doesn't sound awful. I don't hate oatmeal, really. I just don't particularly enjoy it unless it's loaded with raisins and brown sugar, and even then I'm kinda meh on it.
Old Dec 16, 15, 11:17 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Thanks all. Yeah, slow carb is pretty much what I'm doing. And I do work out - I go to boot camp/circuit training class at the Y 2 or 3 days a week. I used to go 3 days a week but with the new job it's harder.

I. Hate. Rowing.

That actually doesn't sound awful. I don't hate oatmeal, really. I just don't particularly enjoy it unless it's loaded with raisins and brown sugar, and even then I'm kinda meh on it.
In that case, you might also want to check out Mark Bittman's recipes for savory oatmeal, particularly since oatmeal + cottage cheese is a relatively bland combo. A touch of soy sauce, drizzle of sesame oil and a few sliced scallions or siracha sauce would probably be a good savory Asian version with a similar nutritional profile.

Search this Thread