Wiki Posts
Search

Dining runs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Dining runs

As a part time food and travel writer, I'd love to hear some of your craziest stories of runs for the simple pleasure of dining in a particular restaurant (or place). How many of you have flown to Tokyo for a cocktail or Lima for a ceviche? Combined with a mileage run is ok as well, but I'd love to hear about the hardcore foodies here ....
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adrianelvn
As a part time food and travel writer, I'd love to hear some of your craziest stories of runs for the simple pleasure of dining in a particular restaurant (or place). How many of you have flown to Tokyo for a cocktail or Lima for a ceviche? Combined with a mileage run is ok as well, but I'd love to hear about the hardcore foodies here ....
i cannot imagine a "hard core foodie" going to tokyo for a cocktail or lima for a ceviche. do foodies drink martinis?

i have gone to lyon for a restaurant run(foie gras and oysters), paris for lievere royale (2 or 3 times), and london for a Bangladesh run.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Not part of a MR, but few years ago I drove from DC to Toronto for 9 hours, in Toronto I had pierogies in Polish restaurant and then drove back home to DC.

My first MR to Japan from DC with 1.5 day in Tokyo. For breakfast I had Starbucks, for lunch Subway, for dinner French food from Café CROISSANT
Next day for breakfast I had McDonalds and for lunch Burger King.
Only when I came back home I realized that I didn't even try any of the Japanese food. On my next MR to Japan I had nothing but Japanese food
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not quite the same as a dining run, but if I have a long enough layover in some cities, I'll go deal with traffic (vehicular and human) just to get a bite at a place I like.

HK for example makes this very tough. The food court at the shopping center at Tung Chung is IMO a food hell. Cantonese, Chaozhou and Taiwanese food (and terrible attempts at Japanese) have led me to board a bus to get South Asian grub in TST. Granted, that mall has a supermarket in the basement, but it all depends on how much time I have.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This has to take the :-: "worst title of the year" award :-:

Dining runs sounds like something that happens when the chef had norovirus, or the chicken had salmonella.

I have certain "must eats" in different places when I travel, but I've never gone someplace "just to eat" ... well, with the exception of a couple of Wine Dos in NYC
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I was needing a few miles once, or there was a promo or something, so a flew from somewhere in the New York area to Atlanta simply to try the hot dogs at Varsity. Did the CNN tour, and then headed back for the return flight.

Loved the hot dogs by the way.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Flew to Philadelphia for the purpose of trying the famed Philly Cheesesteaks, whoa what a mistake that was, friggin' cheez whiz. The roast pork was great.
They still don't hold a candle to Chicago's Italian beef sandwiches but of course this Chicago based/grown guy might be biased a bit there.

I'd have to say Singapore is my food runs back in the day when one could get cheap fares from ORD. While sure I was able to get a great return on the miles I would earn, my sole focus when going would be to just eat my way through the endless options in Singapore, what a great food town.

For those that went with me to the Seoul Do, a few years ago, there was no doubt that the trip had a certain food focus to it.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Flew to Philadelphia for the purpose of trying the famed Philly Cheesesteaks, whoa what a mistake that was, friggin' cheez whiz. The roast pork was great.
They still don't hold a candle to Chicago's Italian beef sandwiches but of course this Chicago based/grown guy might be biased a bit there.
Roast pork at DiNic's? The one with provolone and rabe? One of my favorites. How is it in Chicago though?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
XXX-ATL-MAN - OK to go home but also to have Lamb, Lamb and Lamb as a change from the beef.

Went to ANC for King Crab also -but for other reasons too.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Have done multiple LAX-HNL runs for garlic shrimp. Morning flight out, return on redeye.

SIN runs for Sri Lankan crab.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
As I am quite the gourmand I once went to LAX for an afternoon to grab in n out. It was mainly because I forgot I had an expiring frequent flier ticket, but the lunch and 4 double doubles I was able to bring home were worth it!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back living in KC now but when I was not, I have done an MCI run for BBQ.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
End of last year I did a dining run to Stockholm in order to reach PM.

Here's my blog post on that trip.

http://blog.travelchannel.com/the-tr...er-am-i-crazy/
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arthurhs
End of last year I did a dining run to Stockholm in order to reach PM.

Here's my blog post on that trip.

http://blog.travelchannel.com/the-tr...er-am-i-crazy/
So basically you went to Stockholm and the Raw Pig was one of the dining highlights - awesome.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Back living in KC now but when I was not, I have done an MCI run for BBQ.
You reminded me Gralistair, of my run earlier this year just to get some KC BBQ! I was coming from Tokyo and going to Ankara, so...I've got nothing.
Except that Arthur Bryant's was the one worth going back to, Gates was terrible, and Jack Stack was ok.

Embarrassing that I forgot, since it was a long time in the making.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.