Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: amex plat, aa explat, ic ra, avis first, omni select guest platinum
Louis Lunch.
New Haven, CT
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:13 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by work2fly
The very best burger, is one I make myself with applewood smoked bacon and maytag blue cheese.

Is the patty in hiding?

Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:59 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by braslvr
That's fine, but honestly there are many, myself included who greatly prefer an In-N-Out style (SoCal style) burger to any gourmet burger. And while In-N-Out is very good, there are dozens if not hundreds of independent joints in CA alone that make a similar but better burger.
from all the in-n-out posts I've read, your post is one of the best, thanks for acknowledging the independents^

The bolding on prefer is mine, as of course it comes down to personal preference, makes the world go 'round. I've just never understood how a patty w/o pink/red can be considered a good piece of meat to put on burger, just like a steak there has to be some red/pink to make it worthwhile. (oops, there I go again with that darned prefer thing again)
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:01 pm

Wagyu hamburger at Four Seasons hotel Marunouchi
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

When in Dallas go to https://www.albiernats.com and ask them to make you a burger. It is not necessarily on the menu but they will grind sirloin and other great cuts, they made me the best burger I have ever had!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:49 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Wagyu hamburger at Four Seasons hotel Marunouchi
Does Wagyu make any difference to the taste or texture of a burger?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
Does Wagyu make any difference to the taste or texture of a burger?
I prefer it, but the main thing is that high quality beef should be used. The beef should be ground in-house, and the grinding method does affect texture.

Wagyu simply means Japanese beef.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 7, 2012 at 8:41 am
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I've just never understood how a patty w/o pink/red can be considered a good piece of meat to put on burger, just like a steak there has to be some red/pink to make it worthwhile.
I can only speak for myself, but it is the well cooked thin patties with slightly crispy edges, combined with a 'slaw' of chopped/shredded lettuce, pickles and onion with a burger sauce as the moisturizer that tickles my taste buds. Totally different than a steak or roast which must be medium rare.
If I was just having a hamburger steak, I would want it pink and juicy.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
I can only speak for myself, but it is the well cooked thin patties with slightly crispy edges, combined with a 'slaw' of chopped/shredded lettuce, pickles and onion with a burger sauce as the moisturizer that tickles my taste buds. Totally different than a steak or roast which must be medium rare.
If I was just having a hamburger steak, I would want it pink and juicy.
I'm with you. That's almost exactly my preference; I would just add cheese and mustard instead of any other sauce.

Trying to make thin patties at home is always a challenge for me, so I found that you can push your thumb into the center of each patty to make an indentation that keeps them from balling up when cooking. They're still not as thin as I would prefer - like that of a typical quarter pound fast food burger - but better.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Flemings steak house also does a great burger, $6 during happy hour, decent deal.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:06 am
uk1
Suspended

I'm surprised that people prefer under-cooked burgers as in the uk burgers cooked to under 160 degrees (Well done")are con sidered hazardous and it is considered a food risk to undercook burgers and in particular to hold them at lower than that.

In the UK it is a legal food prep safety requirement.

Caterers- vendors of cooked burgers and other similar minced meat
products, for example caterers, have a specific legal obligation to identify
and control any process steps that are critical to food safety (Food Safety
(General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1005, regulation 4(3)). The thorough
cooking of minced meat products, including burgers to a temperature of 70
degrees centigrade for two minutes or equivalent, will be one such critical
control. Caterers must ensure that their procedures achieve this and they
should take into account the type of cooking equipment, its operating
temperature, the temperature of the meat at the start of cooking, its
thickness and any other relevant factors.

Caterers should consider the potential for undercooked burgers to cause
disease and should not provide them to customers or, if specifically
requested to do so, should remind the customer of the potential hazard.
Food Standards Agency

I guess we all have a different view of risk .......
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:53 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm surprised that people prefer under-cooked burgers as in the uk burgers cooked to under 160 degrees (Well done")are con sidered hazardous and it is considered a food risk to undercook burgers and in particular to hold them at lower than that.
holding is a whole different issue, not only with the beef but for instance sauteed onions & even salads/greens.

The places I go for a med rare burger are making it to order so no hold time.

Just like anyone who enjoys sushi or other raw/undercooked items, one has to have faith that the restaurant is using high quality vendors/supplies. I think my faith may be a bit stronger than the usual consumer
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I'm with you. That's almost exactly my preference; I would just add cheese and mustard instead of any other sauce.

Trying to make thin patties at home is always a challenge for me, so I found that you can push your thumb into the center of each patty to make an indentation that keeps them from balling up when cooking. They're still not as thin as I would prefer - like that of a typical quarter pound fast food burger - but better.
LOL, yes I've even put the meat in between waxed paper and rolled it with a rolling pin.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:39 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
holding is a whole different issue, not only with the beef but for instance sauteed onions & even salads/greens.

The places I go for a med rare burger are making it to order so no hold time.

Just like anyone who enjoys sushi or other raw/undercooked items, one has to have faith that the restaurant is using high quality vendors/supplies. I think my faith may be a bit stronger than the usual consumer
No probs ..... but just to point out ... it isn't just holding. Unless the mince meat used in the patty is minced from chilled and immediately just before it's formed and then cooked straight away and served than that is where the risk of growth of nasties exists. The reality is that virtually no - or no - restaurant will be mincing freshly during service. At it's simplest you can hang beef to improve it but long "stored" mince at the same temp will possibly kill you. There's a big difference.

In terms of the other trust issues .. it isn't an issue with raw stuff that you can see and sniff like sushi or seafood. If ever you've had a bad oyster .... you then always "sniff" before eating. And with cooked items normally with anything so long as a high bug killing temperature is sustained. Undercooked burger risk is something you will not detect with the nose. It needs to be cooked above pasteurisation point to be safe It is simply a sort of lottery risk that's all I'm suggesting. It's not just my opinion ... it is accepted by most advanced food standard authorities.

As it happens there also isn't imho any taste advantages - only downsides, uless you genuinely like raw mince and raw seasoning - in which case a beef tartare is posibble more appropriate.

Caramelising the outside and internal cooked running juices is where most burger taste lurks apart from all that stuff people add afterwards. It has alway seemed to me it is a sort of misplaced ill-informed snobbery emnating from undercooked well hung steaks - which is normally good where the raw material is prime - where people seem to think it is more sophisticated to eat raw mince in a burger.

Just my misplaced therories ......

Last edited by uk1; Nov 7, 2012 at 6:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.