Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It should be fine taste-wise if it's been stored in the fridge that whole time, if anything it'll have lost some of the bubbles. Plenty of champagne is left to age (and fetches a hefty price once it does as long as it was stored properly). Yellow label is just their non-vintage version (sourced from multiple years) vs. their single-vintage offers so their is no reason you'd really want to age it but if you did accidentally it should be fine.

If you want to have a bit of fun (and to cover yourself if it did go bad for some reason) buy a new one and do some taste testing, see if you can tell the difference.

If you've got a Costco or Total Wine nearby, you should be able to grab a bottle for ~$45 pre-tax.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787

If you want to have a bit of fun (and to cover yourself if it did go bad for some reason) buy a new one and do some taste testing, see if you can tell the difference.
This. Worst case, who doesn't want a second glass of champagne .
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Hopefully the bottle has been stored on its side. The greatest danger of LT fridge storage is the cork drying out and shirnking (since real or composite cork corks are used), unless the fridge is a Sub-Zero or a refrigerator only (as in no freezer section). Way to tell is if it bubbles up or not, while still sealed.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Hopefully the bottle has been stored on its side. The greatest danger of LT fridge storage is the cork drying out and shirnking (since real or composite cork corks are used), unless the fridge is a Sub-Zero or a refrigerator only (as in no freezer section). Way to tell is if it bubbles up or not, while still sealed.
Its been on the bottom shelf of my fridge (standing upright). Right next to a bottle of J Cuvee 20 Sparkling Wine (by the J Vineyards in California). I did shake a bit and there are bubbles in it. Same for the bottle of J Cuvee.20. That has been in my fridge since I bought it 10 1/2 years ago.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Its been on the bottom shelf of my fridge (standing upright). Right next to a bottle of J Cuvee 20 Sparkling Wine (by the J Vineyards in California). I did shake a bit and there are bubbles in it. Same for the bottle of J Cuvee.20. That has been in my fridge since I bought it 10 1/2 years ago.
Looks like it might be o.k. You could bring two bottles. Open the old one first. If the cork is loose, you know it's likely done for.

I opened a bottle of (lowish brow) Italian sparkling the other day for Canadian turkey day. Tightest cork I've ever come across. Was considering using a mechanical or even strap gripper to twist it off (I prefer to uncork sparkling wines with the faint hiss you hear opening a beer bottle or some such)..
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:14 pm

Toughest cork I had was a Gruet sparkling from New Mexico. Had others since then. They were fine.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I was given a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label several years ago (8-9+ years). It has been in my fridge every since. I have a function coming up on Sunday to celebrate a neighbor's retirement. Do you think it is still good? Or should I chuck it and get a new bottle of Veuve? Any advice would be appreciated.
Agreed, I'd buy a new one. But open this one and see how it is.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've finally finished a large supply of Pol Roger NV bought for a party ten years ago, which never happened. The Pol just kept getting better, with a deeper and deeper colour and an amazing richness whilst still being bone dry. The corks were increasingly shrivelled but still tight. The concern with the Veuve is that it has been kept in the fridge which is not ideal.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Update: I ended up using the bottle of Veuve. It tasted just fine. The cork was still tight. Everyone liked the champagne. Someone else brought Prosecco (it was ok). I know it is not ideal to keep champagne in the fridge.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually keep wine in the wine fridge but I'm curious why not keep champagne in the regular fridge. Is it just that it's too cold?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I usually keep wine in the wine fridge but I'm curious why not keep champagne in the regular fridge. Is it just that it's too cold?
Cold doesn't matter. If anything, cold slows down maturation and aging. What matters is humidity or specifically lack of. A fridge (cooled by the freezer which is how most fridge-freezers work) is a very dry environment and will dry out the cork. Think of it if you live somewhere very cold. The cold air coming in is very dry (or rather contains very little moisture) and reduces humidity in your house. If you have a sparkling wine corked with a plastic or synthetic closure it shouldn't matter (I believe Champagne has to be corked with a real cork).
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, interesting, thanks. I had a bottle of Moet in the fridge but on its side, so presumably the liquid in the bottle kept the cork moist.

It's moot, because I opened the bottle this evening.
United747 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ah, interesting, thanks. I had a bottle of Moet in the fridge but on its side, so presumably the liquid in the bottle kept the cork moist.
That's why wine is always stored on its side, even in moist cellars.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:02 pm

What in the world?? British “champagne”?!?

There was an interesting story on “60 Minutes” last night regarding the impact of climate change on the wine industry. Apparently, we might have the opportunity to start drinking British “champagne” in the not too distant future.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wine-in...es-2021-12-26/
corky likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
There was an interesting story on “60 Minutes” last night regarding the impact of climate change on the wine industry. Apparently, we might have the opportunity to start drinking British “champagne” in the not too distant future.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wine-in...es-2021-12-26/
I saw that!
Funny, I love Taittinger and that was one of the ones they mentioned. None of this solves the issue of climate change and how it is affecting wineries (as well as everything else in the world)--what a shame.
FLYMSY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.