Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I guess I'm simply irredeemable, unable to bring myself to like in of the "flavored" beers I've tried over the years, beginning decades ago with a German encounter with a modest beer flavored with raspberry syrup, and reaching its nadir when a neighbor ruined a BBQ by supplying the beer, Citrus-flavored Coors Light.

There's a tale behind my dislike. Almost 60 years ago, a college room mate and I attempted home-brewing. We had so many empties on the back porch that simply cried for filling! Somewhere, we went wrong. Even long dead rodents wouldn't overcome the sour beer reek in the closet which comprised our brewhouse, where a handful of exploding bottles promised to eat up our security deposit. Then my roomie read that flavoring the brew with orange peel might help cover the "off" taste of our product. It didn't, only imparting a citrusy twang to the undrinkable mess, resembling beer only in having bubbles.

Ever since, any exposure to flavored brews reminds me of my past sins, and a room mate mournfully departed this vale of tears. I think the our beer did it, a long-acting slow poison aggravated by his years of daily consumption of Shiner, the old stuff of memory, and the recent examples, including strawberry and grapefruit, deadly and damnable.
Reminds me of a former co-worker, a prepper type who had garden surplus that he decided to convert to wine. His surplus, however, was onions. It was the nastiest stuff I've ever smelled. I would not taste it and neither would anyone else. So he built a still and turned the wine into liquor. Still no takers. Then he flavored it with maple syrup. Put me off of waffles for years.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Delirium in a can? I've never seen any of the Belgian beers come in anything other than bottles. Generally speaking, I have been seeing a lot more canned craft beers in the store; I imagine it's probably a combination of being environmentally conscious (cans are far less energy-intensive, IIRC), along with cans actually being cheaper.

Frankly, it's always more satisfying to snap back the top of the can to open it - and doesn't always require you to have a bottle opener handy.
In addition to protecting beer better from light and costing less to ship, I was told at one Asheville brewery that a canning line was cheaper to set up and run than a bottling line.

I've never seen Delirium in a can either, but coincidentally a co-worker just walked into my office and gifted me with a bottle of Delirium Red. The pink elephant on the label is sporting a pair of cherries hanging from his ear.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Delirium in a can? I've never seen any of the Belgian beers come in anything other than bottles. Generally speaking, I have been seeing a lot more canned craft beers in the store; I imagine it's probably a combination of being environmentally conscious (cans are far less energy-intensive, IIRC), along with cans actually being cheaper.

Frankly, it's always more satisfying to snap back the top of the can to open it - and doesn't always require you to have a bottle opener handy.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
In addition to protecting beer better from light and costing less to ship, I was told at one Asheville brewery that a canning line was cheaper to set up and run than a bottling line.

I've never seen Delirium in a can either, but coincidentally a co-worker just walked into my office and gifted me with a bottle of Delirium Red. The pink elephant on the label is sporting a pair of cherries hanging from his ear.
I was surprised too but it was a great find for an outdoor bar on a warm Saturday night in North Carolina. Cans are 16oz cans. I did some searching and Total Wine in NC sells a 4 pack of the cans for $18.99. Haven't looked to find it at any of my go-to local beer retailers (or the grocery stores). It looks like this:
Old May 1, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
I was surprised too but it was a great find for an outdoor bar on a warm Saturday night in North Carolina. Cans are 16oz cans. I did some searching and Total Wine in NC sells a 4 pack of the cans for $18.99. Haven't looked to find it at any of my go-to local beer retailers (or the grocery stores). It looks like this:
Does it taste any different? (I know it shouldn't, but I think canned beers do taste a little different)
Old May 1, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks to a weekend sale at Randall's, I have:

Southern Star Conspiracy Theory IPA
Shiner Ruby Redbird (love it this time of year!)
as well as my usual St. Arnold's Art Car

All for $5.99/6 pack.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Does it taste any different? (I know it shouldn't, but I think canned beers do taste a little different)
Reminds me of the (really) old days, and the birth of squeezing lime in beer.

"Tecate" was the first Mexican beer sold in the US in cans. Back then, cans were steel, not recycled airplane skins. Rumor or reality had it that Tecate came with a slight rusty undertone in its flavor profile, killed by a few drops of lime.

These days, for whatever reason, limes come with "Corona", in my youth the cheapest of Mexican beers (the painted labeling save the brewery big money, no paper labels, no label machines), viewed with brands like "Cruz Blanca" as near generic (and for reference sake popular in Bordertown "clubs"). . Along came aggressive marketing, one of the early examples of which was the intro of "Coronitas", small bottles, 6 ounces or so, "free" on Aero Naves de Mexico.

Soon "Corona" attracted new ownership (which also owns "Shiner"), crossed the Border, and moved into 1st place in import sales, stealing limes from "Tecate" along the way.

"Carta Blanca", once the principal Mexican import into Texas (brewed in Monterrey, NL) is invisible these days, although I regard its "sister", "Bohemia" as the best of Mexican beers/ales.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I think canned beers taste different as well. Canned beer tastes irritatingly bitter to me whereas the same exact beer from a glass bottle tastes smooth.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sipping some ice cold Pacifico while sitting on the beach in PVR listening to some nice acoustic guitar.

Ah....
Old May 3, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
I think canned beers taste different as well. Canned beer tastes irritatingly bitter to me whereas the same exact beer from a glass bottle tastes smooth.
It's been so long since I'd had Delirium from a bottle it's hard for me to say that it did. It was a very hot night here in NC (and it was not my first beer of the day) so I think even a Bud Light would have tasted delicious but the Delirium in a can was quite nice and much better than the alternatives available.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
I'm just as crazy. I don't notice a difference in taste but I think canned beer is colder than bottled.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Brothers Citraspective, a really nice sour out of a Harrisonburg, VA, brewery.

Also a growler of Aslin's (a Reston, VA microbrewery) raspberry-lime gose. The color is atrocious (looks like cherry koolade), but the flavor genuine and well-blended between sour notes and the fruit.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Back to drinking Innis & Gunn Rum Cask.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two glasses of Elysian Spacedust IPA. it was the rotating IPA tap at a local restaurant and a rare treat. We seldom see a keg of west coast draft beer this far south and east.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Molson Canadian has re-released the iconic Canadian beer bottle shape fondly called the 'stubby' and it brought back many memories when I was growing up in the 70's.

Couldn't resist buying a case for purely nostalgic reasons.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Back to drinking Innis & Gunn Rum Cask.
A great beer; somewhat hard to get where I live, have 8 stored for better times^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.