Search

Diners primary car insurance worked

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Diners primary car insurance worked

Had an experience with this I thought might be of interest.

Some months ago, I rented a car at Enterprise late one afternoon for one day with Diners. Got up early, drove Chicago-Milwaukee for a 5-hour meeting, drove back, returned car.

Manager said there was a dent in the roof. I looked at an oblique angle and MAYBE saw a little something, but it looked like perhaps a small manufacturing defect. A friend who was along to give me a ride said he could see something tiny also.

Of course we had jointly inspected the car before renting, but never in my life have I looked at the ROOF of a rental car. The car sat outside my house overnight (not under a tree), was driven to Milwaukee and parked in a garage, and driven right back to Enterprise.

Whatever damage there was or might have been, I am sure it was there before I rented.

So I told the guy I had Diners, which is supposed to supply primary coverage and he said he would follow up with them.

Weeks later I start getting emails from Diners about it and it turns out I had to submit all kinds of crap via scan. Original CC receipt, photos of the damage, original car rental agreement, copy of damage estimate, copy of my driver's license, repair shop quote or bill, copy of CC statement (Why, don't they have it already?), on and on.

Took several hours, but I eventually got everything to them. Turns out Enterprise had already had the car repaired for $503.

Eventually after about 3-4 months, Diners emailed that the damage was covered and that I would be receiving a check. This was in August maybe, and I have received no check, but have also heard nothing further, so maybe that was some standard boilerplate.

So it was unnecessarily a pain, I thought, but Diners did cover the bill.

Moral: Inspect every square inch of a rental car before accepting it.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Wow. A half of year for a tiny dent in the roof. I think I'll rent with National.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
As someone who's never had to file any CDW claims, is 3-4 months longer than average for issuers that offer it? Also, since you didn't get a check I'm assuming Enterprise hasn't come after you for that amount after the claim was resolved, correct?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
As someone who's never had to file any CDW claims, is 3-4 months longer than average for issuers that offer it? Also, since you didn't get a check I'm assuming Enterprise hasn't come after you for that amount after the claim was resolved, correct?
Have heard nothing from Enterprise in maybe 10-12 weeks, so assuming it is resolved.

I certainly did not push the issue, just let it unfold, since I was confident it really wasn't my problem. But it would have taken at least a couple months regardless.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:26 pm

So is it assumed Diners sent a check to directly reimburse Enterprise?

Good read on how the process works. ^
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Weeks later I start getting emails from Diners about it and it turns out I had to submit all kinds of crap via scan. Original CC receipt, photos of the damage, original car rental agreement, copy of damage estimate, copy of my driver's license, repair shop quote or bill, copy of CC statement (Why, don't they have it already?), on and on.
First of all, which Diners Club type of card was this? Different cards (Personal vs Professional vs Corporate) have different primary car insurance coverages.

Second, did you really have all this communication with Diners Club (BMO) themselves? I would think you were actually communicating with the third party that administers the Diners Club primary car collision coverage, which is not Diners Club (or BMO) themselves. (But who that is depends on the exact card you have.) So "they" as in Diners Club (BMO) may have your statements already, but "they" as in the third party that administers the coverage may not.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smith80678
Wow. A half of year for a tiny dent in the roof. I think I'll rent with National.
You'll rent from a company owned by Enterprise, because you don't trust Enterprise (because of this story)? How does that make sense???
Do you realize that these days most of the "brand name" rental companies based in the US are owned by either Avis, Hertz, or Enterprise?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
First of all, which Diners Club type of card was this? Different cards (Personal vs Professional vs Corporate) have different primary car insurance coverages.

Second, did you really have all this communication with Diners Club (BMO) themselves? I would think you were actually communicating with the third party that administers the Diners Club primary car collision coverage, which is not Diners Club (or BMO) themselves. (But who that is depends on the exact card you have.) So "they" as in Diners Club (BMO) may have your statements already, but "they" as in the third party that administers the coverage may not.
Well, all emails came from the "Diners Club Benefits Center." Looking back, it makes sense it could be a third-party company. I never cared to look too closely.

This card is listed on statements as a "Diners Club Charge" card issued by Diners Club International. Not sure if that answers your question. Definitely not Corporate.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
General Provisions for Primary Collision Damage Waiver,
Purchase Assurance, Extended Warranty and Lost or
Damaged Luggage: Except as specifically stated, this guide is
not a policy or contract of insurance. Benefits are purchased
by BMO Harris Bank N.A. issuer of the Diners Club Charge
Card in the United States (“Diners Club”) and provided
complimentarily to you.
(For example, legal referrals are
free, but the lawyer’s fee is your responsibility.) Primary
Collision Damage Waiver
, Purchase Assurance, Extended
Warranty and Lost or Damaged Luggage benefits are provided
under a master policy of insurance issued by Virginia Surety
Company, Inc.
This guide is intended as a summary of benefits
provided to you. All information about the benefits listed
in this guide is governed by the conditions, limitations, and
exclusions of the master policy. As the insurer of the Diners
Club coverage(s) described herein, Virginia Surety Company,
Inc. (“VSC”) collects personal information about you from
the following sources: Information VSC receives from you,
from your request for insurance coverage or other forms
you furnish to VSC, such as your name, address, telephone
number, and Information about your transactions with VSC
such as claims made and benefits paid. VSC may disclose all
information VSC collects, as described above, to companies
that perform administrative or other services on our behalf
solely in connection with the insurance coverage you have
received. VSC does not disclose any personal information
about former insureds to anyone, except as required by
law. VSC restricts access to personal information about you
to those employees who need to know that information in
order to provide coverage to you. VSC maintains physical,
electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal
regulations to guard your personal information. Should you
have any questions about VSC’s procedures or the information
contained within your file, please contact VSC by writing to:

Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
Attn: Compliance Department
175 W Jackson Blvd
Chicago, IL 60604
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, all emails came from the "Diners Club Benefits Center." Looking back, it makes sense it could be a third-party company. I never cared to look too closely.

This card is listed on statements as a "Diners Club Charge" card issued by Diners Club International. Not sure if that answers your question. Definitely not Corporate.
Was it a card applied for during the window when BMO re-opened applications? If so that would be a Consumer card, and I thought all those were credit cards, but I'm not sure.

Or was it a card that was applied for years ago, before BMO took Diners Club North America over from Citi? If so that would the Professional card, and it should say that on the front of the card. (The Professional card is definitely a charge card.)

Or another way to put it: When you log in to your card account at:

https://www.dinersclubus.com/home

do you click the Consumer login button or the Professional login button? (You have to pick between those to log in.)
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was it a card applied for during the window when BMO re-opened applications? If so that would be a Consumer card, and I thought all those were credit cards, but I'm not sure.

Or was it a card that was applied for years ago, before BMO took Diners Club North America over from Citi? If so that would the Professional card, and it should say that on the front of the card. (The Professional card is definitely a charge card.)

Or another way to put it: When you log in to your card account at:

https://www.dinersclubus.com/home

do you click the Consumer login button or the Professional login button? (You have to pick between those to log in.)
Applied for and got years ago, maybe 7-8?

It used to be, IMO, one of the best ways to get the WN CP. You could pile up Diners points for months/years and dump them over on the specific day you wanted, as opposed to getting them all year and maybe not when you wanted with the WN Visa. As I recall, it was also 1:1 transfer, but less than that now (1500 > 1200?).

Don't have it at hand; must be stuck in a drawer. Very rarely log in, will do so sometime in next day or two. I pretty much use the card only to rent cars now. For a long time people said it had the best (only?) credit card primary car insurance coverage, but now I hear lots about Sapphire and various Amexes, so I do not know. Some blogger ought to cover this.

Probably just keeping it on momentum now.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yeah, I heard about that scam a long time ago - ALWAYS look at the roof. (The scam: last guy had the coverage, or it was missed, etc, now we got you!) Rental places think I'm nuts when I'm inspecting every last inch of the car for anything at all that I can make out with the naked eye and refusing the car unless it is marked. You can't be too careful with these people - and it ain't just enterprise, its all of them.

Second, it's good to hear it works. I've used diners for a car rental, but with sapphire you get double points with a rental, so I've switched to mainly using that. I don't think you want to use amex - don't you have to pay some fee upfront etc? And I'm not sure that all (any?) are primary coverage on amex.

I'll stick to saph unless i need diners points shortly.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miadeals
Yeah, I heard about that scam a long time ago - ALWAYS look at the roof. (The scam: last guy had the coverage, or it was missed, etc, now we got you!) Rental places think I'm nuts when I'm inspecting every last inch of the car for anything at all that I can make out with the naked eye and refusing the car unless it is marked. You can't be too careful with these people - and it ain't just enterprise, its all of them.

Second, it's good to hear it works. I've used diners for a car rental, but with sapphire you get double points with a rental, so I've switched to mainly using that. I don't think you want to use amex - don't you have to pay some fee upfront etc? And I'm not sure that all (any?) are primary coverage on amex.

I'll stick to saph unless i need diners points shortly.
I seem to recall that the higher-end Amexes like Platinum have primary coverage, but never looked too carefully.

The only other time I had damage to a rental car the windshield got a chip from a rock on the road. I had rented with SPG card. Went straight to Hertz, exchanged cars, and gave them CC info. Never heard another word, and not sure who paid for it. Always assumed SPG, but maybe Hertz handles these things itself.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I seem to recall that the higher-end Amexes like Platinum have primary coverage
No American Express card issued in the USA includes primary CDW coverage. Primary coverage requires payment of an extra premium for each rental.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
No American Express card issued in the USA includes primary CDW coverage. Primary coverage requires payment of an extra premium for each rental.
Thanks for clarification, I appreciate it.

Would you say Diners is as good as any in the US for primary car rental insurance? Better/same as/worse than Sapphire or any other? Thanks.

It is Professional. Applied for and got in 2006. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.