FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diners Club | Club Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards-414/)
-   -   Early Returns on BMO Takeover: Utter Disaster (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards/1281709-early-returns-bmo-takeover-utter-disaster.html)

phospho Nov 29, 2011 10:01 pm

I just read through this whole thread. I'm a U.S. customer and use this card for every thing from gas to high end restaurants to walmart, to mcdonalds. I feel like I am the only one with literally zero complaints about this card. I've had it for so many years, and it's just never disappointed me in a single way. Even with the transition, there was nothing that I felt. Yes, they sent me a new card in the mail, informing me to use it instead of my old one. But that wasn't really an inconvenience.

Don't get me wrong; I would have been pretty annoyed if my card was denied, etc... It just hasn't though. Not once. I called customer service a month ago to ask about a transaction, and my phone call was answered within - literally - 30 seconds after I punched in my card # into the key pad. I feel like I have to be missing something.

ohmark Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by phospho (Post 17538256)
I feel like I have to be missing something.

Uh, you are. Maybe you should read the thread more slowly. Nobody is complaining about how much time it took a Diners rep to answer the phone a month ago. I suggest, you go ahead and get your card out, and give them a little call now. Then wait on the phone until a rep answers. Finally, come back here and post how you feel about it.

sdsearch Nov 30, 2011 10:28 am

do YOU remember your bank routing number by heart (or always carry it with you)?!?

I never before knew how thankful I would one day be for Citi's incessant re-asking for my bank account info for online payment on every (churned) AA card I've ever gotten (and that's dozens of them). (Unlike Chase, Citi won't reuse the same bank account info for online payment from a card you are already managing online.)

Only because of that, I happen to know my routing number by heart.

If I didn't, I'd be up a creek now, because:

Today I logged into my Diners Club account, and the new popup message said that due to the changeover, I"d have to re-enter my bank account info for online payment. Now, normally, that would just mean going over to get my checkbook and loooking at it, right? Except I'm on another continent at this moment, and not due back until after my payment due date. And of course, I don't have my checkbook with me, since I foresaw no need for it when I left for the trip. (And when I left for the trip on Nov 19, there was no warning from BMO that I'd have to reenter that info before being able to make by due-by-Dec-3 payment.)

:td::td::td:

mia Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 17540593)
...normally, that would just mean going over to get my checkbook and loooking at it, right?..

I login to my bank's online billpay service and look at the image of the one of the facsimile checks.

Routing number are also available here:

http://www.routingnumbers.org/

DivMiler Nov 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 17540593)
Now, normally, that would just mean going over to get my checkbook and loooking at it, right? :td::td::td:

I just go to my credit union's website. The routing number is on the homepage -- one of the first things one sees. A great customer service, because I never remember the routing number. ^^^

Perhaps you should have a beef with your bank, not Diners Club.

squeakr Dec 2, 2011 1:04 pm

TOTAL Fail

I am actually going to be paying off my balance , using my points first and closing the card. In order:

• Called Nov 21 to advice of a trip to Europe, made sure my card could be used. Used the 702 # after being on hold for 25+ minutes on the toll free line. Got a wonderful rep who advices the problems would be sorted out by time I came back on Nov 27, they were going through the last few changes that week. Was also advised my payment would post buy the closing date of my statement on Nov 25 which it did.
• Called this AM about a minor car scrape my DH had when a delivery van scraped his rental car. Was on hold for 20min, called the 702 #, who transferred me and was on hold again, called back, got a number to call, on hold again, called the number again, got transferred again, : after almost 2 hours of holds and transfers, got the correct department, rental car claims, who told me "we no longer handle thew actual claims, they are handled by Chubb and Company." " Great, do you have the number?" "No I don't but i can look it up on google."

Hung up , called my DH back, told him to charge the rental to Amex instead, called Amex and for $17.95 per rental they will handle the whole thing.

Given we rent cars about once a month, the Amex fees will be about what our DC yearly membership will be.

This is a nightmare. What a bunch of buffoons.

Ocn Vw 1K Dec 2, 2011 7:43 pm

After two consecutive days of 20 minute hold times, at off-peak times, just to get a customer rep., I applaud this thread title: "...Utter Disaster...".

Here are a few things I learned. Many account SSNs failed to convert to BMOs system. They are listed as 999-99-9999. Thus the initial automated system will "reject" your last four digits when you key it in. But you will still be put in queue for an agent. Tip: have FT or a good book handy so your 20-40 minute wait won't be all in vain.

Call hold times are long, due in part to the system conversion being flawed, says BMO.

Point accrual info will return to printed statements starting next month. BMO has gotten enough feedback from customers over this folly of eliminating point accrual info from monthly statements.

BMO is also working on an electronic payment choice system to allow customers to schedule a payment to be made on a specific future date. Now electronic payments cannot be scheduled in advance, except to take place immediately. There's no ETA for delivering this feature, but as I pointed out to the BMO supe (after waiting another 12 minutes on hold), AMEX and my ordinary MC issuer have offered it for years.

MillionMilerMan Dec 2, 2011 8:09 pm

Utter Disaster +1

Have carried my DC for 18 years, pretty high level of charges monthly.

After two, 45-minute wait times this week, a continued worthless website, and a clueless staff, I'm canceling this card. BMO must have thought they were buying a business with cardmembers who don't care about customer service.

This transition has been the poster child for how not to transition a business. As much as there is to complain about with the big US banks, BMO seems to be a totally third-tier unprofessional organization that's in way over its head. Who'd have thought I'd ever miss Citibank. The website was antiquated...but at least they answered the phone promptly and solved my concerns when I had them.

In the process of moving all my DC business to my new Chase Sapphire Preferred Master Card....a vast improvement in online experience and personal customer service. Sorry I renewed my annual fee a couple months ago before realizing what a disaster BMO would be.

So long, DC.....

ohmark Dec 2, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark (Post 17472114)
To those folks who looked forward to the changeover thinking it couldn't get worse than Citi: WRONG.
Made a DC web payment on 11/10. No payment shows on the DC website as of now (11/17). Nor does my bank reflect a payment was made. Called DC to inquire as to problem. Amateurish automated phone response with drawn out unnecessary time-wasting commentary from the recorded voice of a woman who sounds like a cashier at my local supermarket telling me to be sure to press the "number" sign, followed by a message telling me wait time would be in excess of 20 minutes. I know it's early in their game, but why should I spend one day enduring such incompetence?
Edited to add: Rather than wait "in excess of 20 minutes," I sent an email message via the DC website inquiring about my payment. As of noon the next day, no response.

Edited to add: Now two days later and no response from DC/BMO customer service.

Edited to add: Now two weeks later and still no response from DC/BMO customer service.

MoJ0 Dec 3, 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by CountinPlaces (Post 17500096)
If I were you, then I would request a statement credit for your annual fee. How can they charge you a fee when you are unable to use your card. Besides, even though the amount of time is short, it is horrendously embarrassing to have your card declined. I guess it is far too normal these days, but not for me.

So far my only trouble has been a weird looking monthly statement and a 25 minute wait time on hold calling to clear up the matter.

For this ownership transition....so far, not good......

Frank McNamara is rolling in his grave. THE WHOLE FREAKING REASON FOR CREATING THE CARD ... avoiding embarrassment in a restaurant.

The lovely folks in Montreal seem really frustrated ... empathetic and apologetic, but you can tell they are getting frazzled too.

What I don't understand ... M&I bank is a full Visa/MC issuing bank. Why didn't BMO just put these cards under the existing M&I infrastructure?

I haven't had any usage problems - payment issues, yes, but my card works as usual.

dc3 Dec 3, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan (Post 17557335)
Have carried my DC for 18 years, pretty high level of charges monthly.

After two, 45-minute wait times this week, a continued worthless website, and a clueless staff, I'm canceling this card. BMO must have thought they were buying a business with cardmembers who don't care about customer service.

This transition has been the poster child for how not to transition a business. As much as there is to complain about with the big US banks, BMO seems to be a totally third-tier unprofessional organization that's in way over its head. Who'd have thought I'd ever miss Citibank. The website was antiquated...but at least they answered the phone promptly and solved my concerns when I had them.

===

I got a letter today (December 3) date November 23 telling me my credit line was $20,000, effective November 7, 2011. Except for the fact I cancelled October 5, 2011 - some 2 months ago- the late letter would have been unacceptable.

I called to be sure I had cancelled, and after 1 hour and 23 minuets, I got a person in Toronto who said - yes, my account was closed 2 months ago and they had no clue as to why I was sent a letter with my new line of credit for a card I do not have.

What a miserable operation this has become.

In the process of moving all my DC business to my new Chase Sapphire Preferred Master Card....a vast improvement in online experience and personal customer service. Sorry I renewed my annual fee a couple months ago before realizing what a disaster BMO would be.

So long, DC.....

mia Dec 3, 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by MJ-bos (Post 17557978)
M&I bank is a full Visa/MC issuing bank. Why didn't BMO just put these cards under the existing M&I infrastructure?

Purely conjecture, but I wonder if the unplanned takeover of M&I drained IT resources away from the Diners Club conversion. BMO knew up front that Citi was going to service these accounts for two years, and I can easily see how work on the Diners' infrastructure could have been repeatedly deferred because there was "plenty of time".

starflyer Dec 3, 2011 4:20 pm

The web site is still a mess.

1. I can't get details on my Club Rewards points for the last three statements.
2. My latest statement doesn't even list any Club Rewards points earned, even though I clearly earned some due to multiple charges made to the card.
3. Online bill pay isn't working.

mia Dec 4, 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by starflyer (Post 17561300)
...statement doesn't even list any Club Rewards points earned...

This is not a malfunction, BMO decided to remove Club Rewards information from the transaction statements, and created the separate clubrewardsus.com site which is updated daily as points post. This was mentioned in the transition letter, and also in post #1 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17122186-post1.html

We have a report that this decision has been reversed, and the Club Rewards information will return to the statement. Scroll back to post 67.

WMPA Dec 4, 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 17555289)
• Called this AM about a minor car scrape my DH had when a delivery van scraped his rental car. Was on hold for 20min, called the 702 #, who transferred me and was on hold again, called back, got a number to call, on hold again, called the number again, got transferred again, : after almost 2 hours of holds and transfers, got the correct department, rental car claims, who told me "we no longer handle thew actual claims, they are handled by Chubb and Company." " Great, do you have the number?" "No I don't but i can look it up on google."

Hung up , called my DH back, told him to charge the rental to Amex instead, called Amex and for $17.95 per rental they will handle the whole thing.

I could be wrong, but I think American Express could give you problems because you (presumably) rented the car with your Diners Club card, but then decided to stick it to AmEx because of the "minor car scrape" (you wouldn't have bothered switching to AmEx if you didn't have the scrape). Yes, I note that you are paying $17.95 to stick it to AmEx.