Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta interline question? TK segment operated by Sun Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 5:02 pm
ATM
Original Poster

I'm taking my two kids, 4 and 6, to spend the summer at my in-laws in Izmir, Turkey next week. The outbound itinerary is DL42 CVG-AMS transferring to Turkish Airlines TK8852, operated by Sun Express (XQ), a direct flight to Izmir done on a single ticket. I know DL has an interline agreement with TK, but does anyone know if Delta will be able to check the bags through when I check-in at CVG? I was issued paper tickets for this trip (not my choice), and DL doesn't have an agreement with XQ.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ATM
I'm taking my two kids, 4 and 6, to spend the summer at my in-laws in Izmir, Turkey next week. The outbound itinerary is DL42 CVG-AMS transferring to Turkish Airlines TK8852, operated by Sun Express (XQ), a direct flight to Izmir done on a single ticket. I know DL has an interline agreement with TK, but does anyone know if Delta will be able to check the bags through when I check-in at CVG? I was issued paper tickets for this trip (not my choice), and DL doesn't have an agreement with XQ.
Unfortunately, no, DL does not have any agreements--ticketing or baggage--with XQ.

You are going to have to pick up your bags and recheck your bags when you get to AMS (you are going to have to get your boarding passes as well).

Why didn't you just take DL 72 to IST and then take one of the great LCC's in Turkiye to Izmir? Just an idea for next time.

Hayirli yolculuklar
Old May 26, 2009, 4:38 am
ATM
Original Poster

Not the news I was hoping for. I knew I would have to check-in at AMS , but hoped the bags might not need to be collected and rechecked. I'll pack light and look into lockers or baggage storage at AMS as I'm hoping to take the kids on a tour during our 10 hour layover.

I almost always have to connect at JFK and IST for this trip using Delta (sometimes CDG instead of JFK) but thought I'd try a single connection, rarely an option, and wanted to try Delta's 757 AVOD with the kids coming as well.
Old May 26, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM
AMS has a nice baggage storage facility on the lower level after you come through customs.

I'm not 100% sure of the numbering, but it's in the section that would be to the far left side of the concourse as you come out from baggage claim.

It's well marked when you get over there and there are elevators down.

AMS is a great day trip this time of year.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Also, if you get really tired during the long layover, AMS has a nice micro-hotel inside the Terminal, behind security. It's called YOTEL and you can purchase hourly packages. I slept for about 3hrs there, took a shower and was ready to continue my trip. Paid 39 Euro for it.

Check the website here: www.yotel.com
Old May 27, 2009, 8:44 pm
ATM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and my options for baggage storage and hotel. For what it's worth Delta said our bags would be checked through on this itinerary. I'll post a final note if that is actually the case.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:11 pm
ATM
Original Poster

To my surprise bags were interlined, however our flight, DL42 left about 3.5 hours late due to mechanical problems. I called international reservations to ask if I could arrive later then the original check-in time after receiving notification of the delay and was told yes (incorrect). I called again later after the website showed the flight delayed departure an additional 30 minutes and the rep was much better informed and told me that the information I was given was wrong and that despite being told it would be okay to check in later I should have checked in at the original time. He put info from the call into our reservation and we were allowed to check in when we arrived. So instead of waiting 6 hours for the flight we waited only two and one half. Why inform me of the delay if they have a policy to check-in at the original time or cancel confirmed reservations (a dumb policy by the way). I would have had to sit there 6 hours with a four and six year old when Delta knew the plane wouldn't be there and if it took longer than estimated to fix, I have no doubt it would have been canceled. No wonder people hate airlines. I'd like to send thanks to Mark at the international reservations call center in Cincy for his help.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I was flying MXP-EWR last February and the inbound CO flight (our aircraft) was 6+ hours late. I didn't even call CO, just arrived at the airport well in advance of the newly-scheduled departure time. No crowds at check-in (just one other party) and I avoided 4+ hours of the 6+ hour delay. Never once was mentioned to me that I should have checked in at the regularly-scheduled time. Sometimes it is best to ask for forgiveness than permission (though I didn't ask for either in my case)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:14 am

No baggage agreement between Sunexpress & Delta

I blame TravelOcity for this one.
Why would they connect us with two flights (Delta & Sunexpress) that don't
have baggage handling agreements?
We didn't find out until we checked my wife's baggage.
Bummer to have to get your bags (this was at Amsterdam) go
back through check in, customs, security to get back on the airplane.
Ridiculous.
I got to say though, the ticket lady at Delta was the best one I've had in years, she did her best to help us out, but couldn't on that point, but did get my wife on standby for an earlier flight so she had more time. ..and she was nice, that shocked me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.