Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kiss my Big Booty Delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:04 pm

This PM defected to NW last July, and I have never regreted it. NW has great service in Asia, not only CONUS, and I will take DTW and MSP (and their great Worldclubs) over ATL and CVG. Plus, the WC membership works in the shared lounges in Asia. If you do Asia, NW is a powerhouse, and DL is nonexistent.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 6:03 pm
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:57 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
Dear vetteset:

Because I value you (and Russ and UDL) and the other front line folks, I am willing to write...if I can email Leo, Vicki, Fred, or Patrice directly. Otherwise, I doubt that anyone other than an online rep will see the email. If someone can supply a personal address for one of the DL VIPs, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
GSW
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
As a PM who always barely makes it on segments, I am getting screwed. My flights break down like this:
70% B/Y
20% L/U
10% K/H

The way I figure it, I get basicly 1% of platinum per segment. Because most (75%) of my segments are 500 miles, I can now get no more than 750 (0.75% of PM per segment). Therefore, I will have to fly 125 segments to get what I got before for only 100 segments. So now I will be perpetual GM if I stick with DL. And my PM benefits are now less (all I care about is upgrades). Looks like I have some decision making ahead of me. This is no way to treat someone who year after yeat contributes $20-30,000 to DL. If they have no loyalty, why should I?

[This message has been edited by flying chicken (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:02 pm
gsw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:

I am going to miss all the great Delta airline employees I have had the pleasure of interracting with.

What was that motto about the British Army in WWI? Lions led by Donkeys? It's too bad the management of Delta has chosen the path of the donkey. There are a lot of great lions among the Delta employees.

</font>

Spiff, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

GSW
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

---Is there a way to see whether bookings for 2003 have dropped?--As much as we rail against the changes , I would love to see some concrete evidence that DL has been impacted by the response shown on FT.--Can anyone really figure out, based on the FT response, how much revenue DL will lose? There is much evidence of passion....I want to see some numbers. After all, it is the numbers which will, ultimately, convince Dl that they have either made the worst marketing decision, destined to alienate their most loyal customer base, or they have made a brilliant decision, When and how can we see some actual numbers? My guess is that DL has an advanced case of hubris .
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kathnunley:
I agree with the "take a stand" issue rather than the "oh, give up, there's nothing we can do". If we just bend over, the other carriers are going to take that as a hint....
We really should write, call, email - all of the above. If someone would post the addresses (if someone has them handy) it may help. I do believe they care about us - afterall, we are their business. If enough PM's write they may realize we discovered there is no longer a value in that remaining 50,000 miles (and as another thread pointed out, GM status will probably soon be up for bid on ebay with the new buddy plan - so there's no reason to fly them at all.)
</font>
There is another way to take a stand that doesn't involve writing or complaining: fly another carrier. They'll get the message if enough people do that.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:42 pm
gsw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
AJC there is a business section on-line that deals with just DELTA. Russell Grantham does DL news and his e-mail address is on the page.</font>
Just to follow up, I wrote Russell Grantham tonight.

GSW

Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:52 am

Programs: delta/song
Thanks to all of you who are willing to go back to DL and voice their complaints. Hopefully, your complaints will bring a speedy resolution and we will have you back as passenger again. This is the only address I could find for customer support:
Delta Headquarters PO Box 20706 Atlanta, GA
30320-6001 404-715-2600. I found it on the website and there is also something similar to a complaint form on Delta.com.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:18 am

Programs: Delta FO
According to Delta Customer Care, Delta really doesn't care if we walk. Apparently, they are so dilussional that they believe they can strip the program to nothing, make it harder to qualify, and still maintain the same number of members. Am I missing something here?

Here is the (form?) reply they sent back to me:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our SkyMiles program and
the changes we have made to the Medallion qualification process.

We know that the program changes impact members in different ways, but
we believe that these modifications will allow us to tailor our
Medallion benefits to meet the individual needs of our customers. The
airline industry continues to undergo significant change, and our
loyalty program must keep pace with evolving customer preferences,
increased choices and new economic realities.

With these qualification changes, we expect slightly more members to
shift up in status than move down. Overall, we anticipate approximately
the same number of total Medallion members if travel patterns continue
as they have in the past. Thus, any member who chooses to fly on
Y,B,M,H,Q,K or S fares and above will earn Medallion status at the same
or faster rate vs. the previous guidelines. Its the member who
regularly flies on our deeply-discounted fares who will find it more
difficult to maintain status under the new guidelines.

Delta is dedicated to becoming a better airline, and we appreciate your
feedback as we move through this new era of travel.

Sincerely,

Mary Jacob
Online Customer Care
http://www.delta.com
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:24 am

Programs: Delta FO
Which Airline is best to try and get comped?

I'm GM right now and will be for next year too, but throughly disgusted at the Medallion changes. The GM perks are all but gone.

So, I would like to try and get comped to equivelant of GM on another airline while I can. The most convenient choices are USAirways and United since I make a lot a trips from WAS to ATL. Where am I going to have the best luck?
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:28 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Why I think Delta will drive us to AA! (Or UA/CO/NW)

I switched to Delta from AA several years ago based on the Platinum Medallion benefits. It was a GREAT program. After years as a PM, I just made MM. (The hard way, with mostly BASE miles!)

I'm shocked to see what appears to be Delta adopting many featues of the AA (and UA) program, yet with a worse coach product and more restrictions. (I won't comment on the NW/CO issue, but I hope there is an "understanding" if your partnership goes through. (i.e. they make their programs like yours) Otherwise NW/CO will be much superior with their upgrade program and lower Platinum threshold)

BruceB or anyone at Delta, can you explain why Delta is generally inferior to AA given these points: (I hope you don't feel the justification is "free Crown Room membership", I'd gladly give that up or pay for it and keep the old Platinum Medallion benefits!)

Elite Status:
DL: MQM points only
AA: Miles OR Q-points

Million Miler program:
DL: 1 Million BASE miles=lifetime 25K level
UA: 1 Million BASE miles=lifetime 50K level
AA: 1 Million ALL miles=lifetime 25K level
AA: 2 Million ALL miles=lifetime 50K level
AA is the best, as ALL miles earned (car, hotel, elite bonus) count!

Why does Delta offer the weakest MM benefits? (I realize you changed from ALL miles to BASE miles a few years ago.)

Upgrades:
It appears that Delta has adopted AA/UA for earning upgrades. (4x500mile upgrades for 10,000 base miles flown)
However: As a 100K flyer on AA/UA, I can upgrade ANY fare 100 hours in Advance (including a companion). 100K on Delta can only upgrade DAY OF DEPARTURE for L/U/T fares.
Also: AA never "expires upgrades"
Also: AA gives FREE upgrades on B fares! (And ALL Y fares)

Upgrade Certificates:
DL: 100K=6PMU upgrades. I can't transfer them unless I fly with companion. And I must buy M or higher fare internationally. (Often DOUBLE the price or more over the lowest fare!)
AA: 100K=8SWU. I can use on ANY fare. I can GIVE to anyone and don't have to fly with them.

Upgrade priority:
DL: Unless you can confirm or clear waitlist in advance (less likely now that PMs can't with K fares at time of booking) 100K Delta flyers have lower priority then 25K Delta flyers on higher fares on standby-upgrade list.
AA: Status ALWAYS comes first. A 100K AA flyer on a weekend WEB fare will beat a 25K AA flyer on a higher fare.

Also, AA gives you "grace miles" on upgrades. (If you go over by up to 50 miles, they won't charge you the extra upgrade)

Will Delta charge 1 or 2 upgrade points for a 549 mile flight? (AA will only charge 1!)

My comments on upgrades: I (like many DL PMs) paid for the K fare even though it was more expensive then L/U/T because I could check and book my upgrade in advance. Also, the K fare was overall about the same as a cheaper AA fare after you factor in the cost of AA upgrades. It appears you think your success selling K fares is going to work on M and higher fares in the new program. THIS WILL NOT WORK, as you are not competitive to AA anymore as you are now charging for upgrades and AA can confirm ALL fares in advance.

While I agree that many flyers will choose the best schedule, (i.e. non-stop) you are going to miss those that would buy Delta and connect (vs. AA non-stop) with this new program. AA has a much better coach product with great leg room and power ports as many seats. AA food is better IMHO as well. Delta will be even a lower choice when there is no schedule advantage.

Another problem: A higher fare basis is not always a higher revenue ticket. Many people travel on big corporate discounts that Delta gives to companies. (I've seen some 30%+ discounts!) Why can't I confirm my H fare at time of booking when I may pay more then a discounted M fare?

I would love to hear your thoughts as well as answers to my questions.

Sincerly,

Loyal Delta Million Miler Platinum Medallion
(And AA 3 Million Miler Lifetime Platinum)

[This message has been edited by wschild (edited 12-14-2002).]
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Switching doesn't really matter too much at this point. It is clear that the industry is trending towards a FF model which emphasizes revenue generated over all other factors. Jumping ship will only buy a year or two at most, as the changes work their way through the other carriers.

</font>
I'll take a year or two of elite status and first class upgrades!
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ComAirKid:
I usually fly Y and B fares. (I wait for the last few days to book my travel - this stratagey may help some of you folks) so I'll try to fly DL as much as possible. </font>
I'm glad you don't work for my company!
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
For everybody doing at least some international travel in Y/B/M (which you need to upgrade anyways) - the change is for the better.

Personally, I will continue to give my business to Delta as long as I do get at least 6 PMUs each and every year and as long M fares remain at a reasonable level.</font>
How is DL better then AA here? AA gives you 8 VIPOWs (system-wide upgrades) and they are good on ANY fare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.