Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kiss my Big Booty Delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
LOL! Can everyone "feel the love" today? </font>
This seems like it's turning into a pseudo CO forum! Hey Cigarman, we'll take you back....no hard feelings...
Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:40 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
This entire discussion, on this thread and others, seems to break down into two camps:

1. Those upset about the lack of full base mile (oops, I mean Medallion Qualification Point) credit for ULT fares; and

2. Those upset about the new cost of upgrades and/or the usage of them.

Put me squarely in the second camp. I really don't have a problem with reduced elite qualification credit for ULT fares. But the cost of upgrading has gone through the roof! I get the feeling reading through these messages that many have not noticed this.

We're talking $40 per 500 miles, which means a transcon upgrade roundtrip will set you back $320 ATL-LAX, $400 ATL-SFO/SEA, $800 ATL-HNL. Think about that . . . . $800 just for the UPGRADE to HNL. And, even as PM, only confirmable 100 hours out. That's a huge swing away from the current policy.

At the same time, I am now Lifetime Gold by virtue of the new rule for 2MM people. Since the GM benefits are only marginally less than those of PM under this scheme, in my mind living off of those lifetime GM benefits and using Delta when it's convenient, while developing a relationship with another carrier for the first time ever. Most like, the Delta flights would be short haul stuff from ATL, while the other carrier would be used for the longer haul business.

Of course, I feel it's quite likely that NW and CO will align policies with DL on this, which really only leaves AA to consider. UA is too unstable right now, and I think US will probably cease to exist.

In my personal situation, I have been extremely loyal to Delta and this year have bought more higher yield fares than ever. But now, there is simply very little incentive for me to remain loyal.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:55 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
For everybody mainly flying US domestic, it can be for the better or for the worse, depending on your status level and the fares you pay.

For everybody doing at least some international travel in Y/B/M (which you need to upgrade anyways) - the change is for the better.

Personally, I will continue to give my business to Delta as long as I do get at least 6 PMUs each and every year and as long M fares remain at a reasonable level.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:37 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
This is the last trip on what is left of the DL FF mileage.It has been a fun year, burned all of my DL Sky Miles.

I am currently PM but have zero revenue miles with DL this year, so I think I am looking at Gold next year? In the past you were never dropped more then one level, now...?

If I flew on DL next year, I would barely make PM. The Intl carries me over, but, the thought of a 757 coach seat from BWI&gt;ATL&gt;West Coast... ugggg. No unlimited upgrades? Why take the chance, more room on WN in coach anyway.... blah blah blah
The real thing to considder, reveneu based FF program on DL but no one else, not even the cheap airlines.

On WN I get 2 (most often 3) points for each one way trip (you dont get points for changing planes). A whoping 6 points per round trip. All it takes for a free ticket is 16 points. Work in car rentals bonuses with each trip and I get a free ticket every 2 trips. Does not matter what fare I paid! No $100 fee to change tickets... I may not get the seat I want every time, but I average 100% never being stuck in a middle seat.

So the saga goes on....
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
We should be very happy that Delta is trying to establish a relationship between upgrades and cost, unless we are unwilling to pay anything for them. If we find out the true cost, we will know if we are willing to pay for them or not.

Based on preliminary evidence, I will buy. Later evidence may price me out of the market. I used to drive 60,000 miles a year. My right foot still works. We'll see what happens.

</font>

LexPassenger;
Great points. What happened?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
But for those DL employees who will be making wage concessions ...</font>
Did I miss a memo? Scale employees (CRC, ACS etc) still are getting their scheduled annual raises. TechOps got their raise too.

We all know DL's pilots haven't been approached for concessions either.

I think your statement was geared towards the employees of AA/UA.

When upper mgmt asks me to freeze my pay etc, I'll let you know.

[edited for a typo]
------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email

[This message has been edited by UnofficialDLHelper (edited 12-12-2002).]
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:55 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:
Did I miss a memo?</font>
I think it was ment, just wait and see! The bleeding has to stops and paycuts will be a part of ths solution.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:17 am

I wrote to DL on this subject and just received a note back from customer care. It's ironic that they said that it does not make business sense to upgrade LUT fares .....

They included a post paid envelope for my next suggestion ....
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:17 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm going to do my best to find other airlines that fit my needs better and have a better Y product.
70% of my flights fall between 500 and 800 miles. It would now take 2 upgrades to sit in FC for my regular flights from ATL to PIT, ORD, FLL, MIA, BWI and CAK. These are all bewteen 500 and 600 miles.
I don't understand why anyone would change their patterns to become a PM, in my case, I'm going to change my pattern to move on and drop to GM next year.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:22 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
GU--I think you are right, since you get most of your miles on the Shuttle you will gain more upgrades and have a lower burn rate.

I think the main benefactor of the new plan is Delta. If Plats or Golds want to fly up front they will have to buck up for more upgrades. (25k for 4 (500 Mile)upgrades or $160--ouch!!!) Delta basically took the worst of all the major FF programs and added the 50% on LUT.

Off to United, good luck Delta it's been fun.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:46 am
csg

Medallion changes -- what about Skyteam?

Maybe the answer is in here, but I couldn't find it. With the new changes, how will status miles work when flying AF or other skyteam members? Will the same multipliers be used, and if so, with which fares?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:54 am
csg

I should have looked more carefully. Sorry about that. See http://www.delta.com/skymiles/skymil...tion/index.jsp
Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:13 am

It seems some PM's are willing to stick with Delta through 2003, since Delta doesn't really stick it to us till 2004.

Personally, I'm spending next year getting my EXP on AA back.

Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:33 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
As far as qualification goes, back in the day when I was a DL frequent flyer these changes would have benefitted me greatly ... for work I flew non-refundable tickets only ... so I did have the opportunity to see M and B fares a good bit, even the occasional Y and F fares ...

I certainly wouldn't have been sweating making Gold each year like I was back then, though Platinum would have still been out of reach ...

The upgrade thing is a deal-killer for me though ... US' current program beats DL hands down now once you factor in upgrades ...
Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Will move? Heck, I can't believe you people stuck around this long ... I left two years ago after they introduced LUser fares and took away our SWU's ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.