FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kiss my Big Booty Delta
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:28 am
wschild

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Why I think Delta will drive us to AA! (Or UA/CO/NW)

I switched to Delta from AA several years ago based on the Platinum Medallion benefits. It was a GREAT program. After years as a PM, I just made MM. (The hard way, with mostly BASE miles!)

I'm shocked to see what appears to be Delta adopting many featues of the AA (and UA) program, yet with a worse coach product and more restrictions. (I won't comment on the NW/CO issue, but I hope there is an "understanding" if your partnership goes through. (i.e. they make their programs like yours) Otherwise NW/CO will be much superior with their upgrade program and lower Platinum threshold)

BruceB or anyone at Delta, can you explain why Delta is generally inferior to AA given these points: (I hope you don't feel the justification is "free Crown Room membership", I'd gladly give that up or pay for it and keep the old Platinum Medallion benefits!)

Elite Status:
DL: MQM points only
AA: Miles OR Q-points

Million Miler program:
DL: 1 Million BASE miles=lifetime 25K level
UA: 1 Million BASE miles=lifetime 50K level
AA: 1 Million ALL miles=lifetime 25K level
AA: 2 Million ALL miles=lifetime 50K level
AA is the best, as ALL miles earned (car, hotel, elite bonus) count!

Why does Delta offer the weakest MM benefits? (I realize you changed from ALL miles to BASE miles a few years ago.)

Upgrades:
It appears that Delta has adopted AA/UA for earning upgrades. (4x500mile upgrades for 10,000 base miles flown)
However: As a 100K flyer on AA/UA, I can upgrade ANY fare 100 hours in Advance (including a companion). 100K on Delta can only upgrade DAY OF DEPARTURE for L/U/T fares.
Also: AA never "expires upgrades"
Also: AA gives FREE upgrades on B fares! (And ALL Y fares)

Upgrade Certificates:
DL: 100K=6PMU upgrades. I can't transfer them unless I fly with companion. And I must buy M or higher fare internationally. (Often DOUBLE the price or more over the lowest fare!)
AA: 100K=8SWU. I can use on ANY fare. I can GIVE to anyone and don't have to fly with them.

Upgrade priority:
DL: Unless you can confirm or clear waitlist in advance (less likely now that PMs can't with K fares at time of booking) 100K Delta flyers have lower priority then 25K Delta flyers on higher fares on standby-upgrade list.
AA: Status ALWAYS comes first. A 100K AA flyer on a weekend WEB fare will beat a 25K AA flyer on a higher fare.

Also, AA gives you "grace miles" on upgrades. (If you go over by up to 50 miles, they won't charge you the extra upgrade)

Will Delta charge 1 or 2 upgrade points for a 549 mile flight? (AA will only charge 1!)

My comments on upgrades: I (like many DL PMs) paid for the K fare even though it was more expensive then L/U/T because I could check and book my upgrade in advance. Also, the K fare was overall about the same as a cheaper AA fare after you factor in the cost of AA upgrades. It appears you think your success selling K fares is going to work on M and higher fares in the new program. THIS WILL NOT WORK, as you are not competitive to AA anymore as you are now charging for upgrades and AA can confirm ALL fares in advance.

While I agree that many flyers will choose the best schedule, (i.e. non-stop) you are going to miss those that would buy Delta and connect (vs. AA non-stop) with this new program. AA has a much better coach product with great leg room and power ports as many seats. AA food is better IMHO as well. Delta will be even a lower choice when there is no schedule advantage.

Another problem: A higher fare basis is not always a higher revenue ticket. Many people travel on big corporate discounts that Delta gives to companies. (I've seen some 30%+ discounts!) Why can't I confirm my H fare at time of booking when I may pay more then a discounted M fare?

I would love to hear your thoughts as well as answers to my questions.

Sincerly,

Loyal Delta Million Miler Platinum Medallion
(And AA 3 Million Miler Lifetime Platinum)

[This message has been edited by wschild (edited 12-14-2002).]