Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to sell ASA to Skywest for $425 million

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
From the article at http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050815/delta.html?.v=5 :

Delta, the nation's third-largest carrier, said the proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes and to pay down $100 million of debt under its loan agreement with GE Commercial Finance and other lenders.

"general corporate purposes" ... hmmm

How about bonuses for all the upper execs and a nice big golden parachute for Grinstein.

Things to do
  1. Drive a company into the ground
  2. Threaten bankruptcy to get concessions from unions
  3. Sell a big asset for a fast infusion of cash
  4. Wink as I give bonuses to top execs to "keep the talent"
  5. Give the board a big bonus
  6. File bankruptcy and liquidate airline
  7. Take severence package and golden parachute and buy a small country
  8. Drive country into the ground
  9. .......

Grinstein, like so many other top executives, no longer worry about the long-term stability of "the company" because they needn't worry about money if the thing goes belly up.

Last edited by Evan!; Aug 16, 2005 at 3:35 pm
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!

Delta, the nation's third-largest carrier, said the proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes and to pay down $100 million of debt under its loan agreement with GE Commercial Finance and other lenders.

How about bonuses for all the upper execs and a nice big golden parachute for Grinstein.

Grinstein, like so many other top executives, no longer worry about the long-term stability of "the company" because they needn't worry about money if the thing goes belly up.
It is my understanding that Grinstein was pretty well-off before he took the job and that his compensation is actually pretty nominal. He then further added to his credibility by fully disclosing his compensation, declining bonuses, options, etc. and then only accepting half his pay last year. I seem to remember a salary on the order of $500k and that he only accepted $250k. That enabled him to honestly go to the pilots and (successfully) discuss pay cuts.

By all accounts, he wants to succeed at saving DL more than he wants to make a few more $$ that he doesn't need. He stepped up to the table to play a lousy hand and has done better with it than most anyone else could.

PS - I am working from memory of news stories here so I'm def open to others posting news links to clarify any of these facts.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:52 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 7:12 am
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JS
I agree completely, although if it were a personal trip, I would never pay $300 or even $200 for a short-haul (but I'm cheap).

I have overlooked plenty of NW fares that were cheaper because I hate NW. Even though I can earn Delta SkyMiles flying NW, it is not worth flying that p.o.s. airline (that will hopefully go out of business after the August 20 strike) to save a buck. I have since added US to my no-fly list (monopoly airports excepted such as DVL or LEB).

I used to avoid flying Southwest even if they were cheaper, but a couple of years ago, I broke down and tried them again and was really surprised at the good service, although to be honest it's in large part because it's all relative; the majors have cut service so much it's pretty tough to suck harder.

So, now I fly either Delta or UA, or Southwest (not often since I don't live in a WN city), sometimes AA, and that's it. AirTran, ATA, Sprit, etc., are candidates if they're cheaper but that's rare. NW and US are at the bottom because THEY SUCK.

Well do you hate NW just a little bit or a lot? WHat did they do that so pissed you off? I have used them to DTW and MEM quite a bit this year and had no problems.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!

Things to do
  1. Drive a company into the ground
  2. Threaten bankruptcy to get concessions from unions
  3. Sell a big asset for a fast infusion of cash
  4. Wink as I give bonuses to top execs to "keep the talent"
  5. Give the board a big bonus
  6. File bankruptcy and liquidate airline
  7. Take severence package and golden parachute and buy a small country
  8. Drive country into the ground
  9. .......

Do you have Jerry Grinstein confused with Leo Mullen. Jerry hasn't done any of these things.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marroitt Plat*Delta PM
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Maybe Skywest can do something DL could not - improve ASA customer service, although I have my doubts.

I had the pleasure of flying Skywest DeltaConnection from SLC to GEG today 8/16/05 and the service and FA was far better then I have received on a ASA flight. As an add bonus Skywest puts out their own magazine and it was a good read after a long day of Skymall and Sky Mag. I've never seen a ASA mag.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Splycer
I had the pleasure of flying Skywest DeltaConnection from SLC to GEG today 8/16/05 and the service and FA was far better then I have received on a ASA flight. As an add bonus Skywest puts out their own magazine and it was a good read after a long day of Skymall and Sky Mag. I've never seen a ASA mag.
That reminds me that one of the most outstanding moments in the past couple of years as a DL PM came when a SkyWest employee went out of his way to squeeze me onto an earlier flight. Once I got on the flight the FA was equally impressive and for a moment I forgot that I was on a baby jet! SkyWest has some good people. If they can kick some ... at ASA all the better!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:51 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by ThisDJ
Well do you hate NW just a little bit or a lot? WHat did they do that so pissed you off? I have used them to DTW and MEM quite a bit this year and had no problems.
Let's see... miserly award availability, Saturday night stay requirement for award tickets (including tickets issued using Delta SkyMiles) and no stopover option on domestic award tickets. Employees that are only second to AA on the rudeness scale. They are the only airline I have ever seen with long lines for kiosks.

Luckily I avoided their winter 1999 Detroit slumberfest but I got a taste of their prison guard attitude the last time I tried NW, on a flight from MSP to connect in MEM, where we had a mechanical delay at the gate for two hours and they would not let me off the plane, claiming that all MEM connections would be made. I was even willing to pay for my own hotel and leave the next morning (well, using OPM to be precise, but it wouldn't be at NW expense). They refused and IMHO committed the civil tort of false imprisonment (no I did not pursue the case; not worth it). Not surprisingly, when I arrived at MEM, the only flight that had not left yet was TUP. The three people going to TUP were elated while the other 200 people on this full 757-300 spend over an hour at the ticket counter getting re-booked (not to mention waiting for a hotel shuttle at 1 AM). I got two hours of sleep that night instead of eight.

I have had bad experiences on other airlines, so that is not the only thing. It certainly taught me a lesson not to spread my business around in their direction. NW just seems to have an aura of "you are the passenger, we are the airline/employees, so **** you and go to hell". This is evident in this weekend's upcoming strike. NW claims that they will be able to run a full schedule, and they are going to find themselves with hundreds of thousands of angry stranded passengers. They, both management and the employees, will be getting a taste of their own medicine, and they will be surprised at how bitter it is.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:53 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Splycer
I do like that SkyWest magaine. The articles are more interesting, and the route map is much easier to read because it only has the SkyWest routes and not the spaghetti mess of the combined DL/CO/NW routes.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:53 am

When a did a lot of flying between SFO-SLC a few years back, I would actually pick Skywest flights over the Delta mainline flights. Probably the only instance in my life where I willingly opted for RJs over full-size. The service was better, and in addition to the Skywest magazine, they had the 'skywest CD'. At one time DL had a mainline flight and a Skywest flight leaving within minutes of each other from SLC-SFO. (It must have had something to do with continuing flights, becuase it seemed to make more sense to fly one larger jet, but I digress.) The Skywest flight had a nack for being on time more frequently...

I wont go in to my experiences with ASA and Comair... Needless to say, those are two of the reasons why I don't fly Delta very often east of the Rockies...
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
When a did a lot of flying between SFO-SLC a few years back, I would actually pick Skywest flights over the Delta mainline flights. Probably the only instance in my life where I willingly opted for RJs over full-size. The service was better, and in addition to the Skywest magazine, they had the 'skywest CD'. At one time DL had a mainline flight and a Skywest flight leaving within minutes of each other from SLC-SFO. (It must have had something to do with continuing flights, becuase it seemed to make more sense to fly one larger jet, but I digress.) The Skywest flight had a nack for being on time more frequently...

I wont go in to my experiences with ASA and Comair... Needless to say, those are two of the reasons why I don't fly Delta very often east of the Rockies...
Dude, I don't mind SkyWest either but never, ever would I prefer a CRJ over anything on SFO-SLC. I like Comair a lot...ASA, let's say, not so much.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Traveller
Well I think Delta got a deal because ASA is worth a big fat zero in my book. Today I vowed to never fly that sorry excuse of an airline again. I even changed my Thursday evening flights this week on ASA to Friday mainline Delta. I even have a 3 hour layover in ATL on Friday, that's how much I hate ASA!!
The ASA flight I was supposed to be on tonight ATL-MLB at 10:14pm has been cancelled. I make the right call.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by El Perro
Anyway back on topic - ASA blows hard. Delta did very little to improve their product. They bought ASA and treated them like a red-headed stepchild. Their IT infrastructure has received none of the improvements that Delta mailine received. There is NO reason for this and no logic for not giving them the technology they need in order to provide Delta-level service. What's worse, Delta is paying to support 1960's era technology and the staff to support it because they wouldnt' give them the IT gear they needed in order to fully automate.

The more I see the more I'm glad I don't work there anymore.
Delta's IT structure (not ASA and not Comair) is pretty cool. They invested $1 billion in its "Delta Nervous System." Has lots of good technology.
Just a little tidbit of info. After 9/11, Delta was the first airline to let the FAA know that they were ready to go. It was a logistical nightmare for airlines to figure out where the planes were, pilots, crew and passengers. Delta's technology figured it out first.

Oh yeah, and ASA bl*ws.

Quick story. Our new neighbor stopped by shortly after he moved in. Nice enough guy. Talked about work, told him I travel a lot. He asked if I ever flew ASA. Before I thought about it, I said I try to avoid them at all costs. Something went off in the back of my head, so I added "being a bigger guy, I hate flying regional jets." Turns out his son is a pilot for them. Thankfully, I did not say the real reason why I hate flying ASA. That would've been awkward.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbiflyer

Oh yeah, and ASA bl*ws.
Is blows a prohibited word here at FT?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
Is blows a prohibited word here at FT?
Possibly in a certain context?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.