FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta to sell ASA to Skywest for $425 million
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:22 pm
pbiflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by El Perro
Anyway back on topic - ASA blows hard. Delta did very little to improve their product. They bought ASA and treated them like a red-headed stepchild. Their IT infrastructure has received none of the improvements that Delta mailine received. There is NO reason for this and no logic for not giving them the technology they need in order to provide Delta-level service. What's worse, Delta is paying to support 1960's era technology and the staff to support it because they wouldnt' give them the IT gear they needed in order to fully automate.

The more I see the more I'm glad I don't work there anymore.
Delta's IT structure (not ASA and not Comair) is pretty cool. They invested $1 billion in its "Delta Nervous System." Has lots of good technology.
Just a little tidbit of info. After 9/11, Delta was the first airline to let the FAA know that they were ready to go. It was a logistical nightmare for airlines to figure out where the planes were, pilots, crew and passengers. Delta's technology figured it out first.

Oh yeah, and ASA bl*ws.

Quick story. Our new neighbor stopped by shortly after he moved in. Nice enough guy. Talked about work, told him I travel a lot. He asked if I ever flew ASA. Before I thought about it, I said I try to avoid them at all costs. Something went off in the back of my head, so I added "being a bigger guy, I hate flying regional jets." Turns out his son is a pilot for them. Thankfully, I did not say the real reason why I hate flying ASA. That would've been awkward.